MOX Open Source

JCL_Films
JCL_Films Website User Posts: 158 Enthusiast
edited November 2014 in Practical Filmmaking

There is a campaign right now to create a new format that will package Open EXR sequences into a QuickTime/like container (except this one will be open source). Check them out: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mox-file-format#home

This could really improve post production if it can be brought to life.

Comments

• gwyador
    gwyador Website User Posts: 8

Okay I posted above and then a little later I found this topic... FXHOME, please consider adding support for this!!

• gwyador

Just Curious, has anyone from FXHome even seen this post???

• Pencilandinc
    Pencilandinc Website User Posts: 143
    edited November 2014

From the indiegogo project page of MOX:

"Good news! The core technologies we need have already been developed and released as open source. All that's left to do is corral them together into a cohesive format that's easy to use. Specifically, we need to:

• Create a specification for MOX
    • Write an open source software library
    • Write open source plug-ins for popular video apps

The initial release will require some dedicated programming work, followed by years of part-time developer support and maintenance."

While I don't work for, speak directly for, or have any obligation to FXHOME, I know what it's like to post something and it goes unanswered. So, hopefully, this will help.

I don't doubt that the folks @ FXHOME have seen this post but the specification for the container programming hasn't been written, tested or accepted on a wide scale yet. HitFilm (as I understand it) is an powerful albeit inexpensive solution for both fledgling and independent filmmakers and animators to use to get professional results using consumer-level to pro-level equipment. While they've most likely noticed the articles about MOX (I saw it last week in redsharknews), it would make sense for them to wait until the bugs are shaken out and both mainstream and open-source communities have embraced it. Right now, it seems like everyone's trying to wrap their heads (and their applications) around H.265 and 8K among other formats.

FXHOME is also in the middle of trying to get their product out of the door and into the hands of everyone who has pre-ordered it. All of their attention is, most likely, focused on that endeavor. A project as far away as MOX is currently from being completed is worth noting for further study and/or long-term watching. But, at these early stages of MOX's development, no one could (or would, from a business standpoint) honestly say that they WILL support it.

Also, it should be noted that many of the "standard" open components in the filmmaking/animation/VFX/compositing industry were usually adopted by the mainstream after having been created by some powerhouse industry studio/organization; hence, their rapid adoption. OpenEXR is a very good example of this, having been created and released as an open standard by ILM. MOX will be the first "crowdfunded" open standard, if successful.

Personally, I can't wait until MOX is out there. It seems to have some good possibilities; but I think that we may be waiting for version 5 or 6 before HitFilm makes it an import/export option. And that's assuming that it catches on--again--in the mainstream filmmaking community.

• Pencilandinc

I stand corrected. Here are the proposed programming standards:

"MOX is going to use the MXF container (SMPTE 377M) to hold a specific list of open source, patent-free audio and video codecs. Many of the video codecs will actually be embedded frame sequences, allowing frames to be copied in and out of a MOX as if it were a Zip file.

Video formats will be DiracOpenEXRDPXPNG, and JPEG. The sum total of these codecs means that MOX will be able to store video at 8-, 10-, 12-, and 16-bit integer, as well as 16- and 32-bit floating point. Each bit depth will have both lossless and lossy compression options.

Audio codecs will be FLACOpus, and raw PCM to do lossy and lossless audio compression at 8-, 16-, 24-, and 32-bit.

Both audio and video will support any number of channels. Depending on the codec, this means that multiple compressed video streams may be present in a MOX, allowing for alpha channelsZ-depth, stereo views, etc.

MOX will support file-wide and frame-specific metadata. Color space metadata can include ICC profiles, named color spaces like Rec. 709, gamma & chromaticityvalues, OpenColorIO configuration information, and embedded LUTs. MOX will clearly differentiate between importing pixels in their native format and viewingpixels, which may involve a display transform.

The open source library and plug-ins will be programmed in C++, hosted on GitHub, and available under the permissive BSD license, allowing commercial and non-commercial software programs to use them freely."
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador

heh-heh-heh. Good job, Axel!

• NovianLeVan
    NovianLeVan Website User Posts: 49
    edited November 2014
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,069 Staff

Was just about to add that in. Darn Axel :)
    But yes, we're currently in conversation with them so @gwyador you will hopefully get your wish - we're working on it!

• Pencilandinc

"Just when you think you got the world figured out, you don't"

- from tne movie, "Shooter."

I stand corrected yet again. Good job, guys. Keep doin' it to it!

• gwyador

Thanks guys!!  I am glad to know it is at least under consideration since I think it will be extremely useful in the VFX realm and an asset to Hitfilm! and to all it's users.

Cheers,

Bryan