How to make a composite template variable length?

blu28
blu28 Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

I have just started using Hitfilm, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. I have created a template composite shot for an animated lower third. There is an open animated sequence where the text enters the screen and an animated ending where it leaves. I published the text so I can edit it in controls, all well and good. My problem is that I would like to be able to adjust the length of time between the opening sequence and the ending sequence. If I drag the end to change the length I lose either the opening or ending sequence. I don't know if there is a method to change the length by "scaling" but I think that would change the timing on the opening and ending as well. Is there any way to mark the number of frames between two keyframes as bing adjustable and possibly publishing that as a parameter? If not, what would be the best way to do this?

Tagged:

Answers

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,431 Ambassador

@blu28 AFAIK, there is no way to make a comp shot vary in length base on an input parameter. However, you can use the rate stretch tool to adjust the length of the comp - although that would either speed up or slow down the overall motion of your open and close sequence.

Unless somebody has a better idea, I think you would have to manually adjust the length of the comp by right clicking on it on the timeline and entering in a new Duration length. Remember you can duplicate the comp in the Media bin, give it a new name and make multiples of varying lengths. I know that's cumbersome but it might be a viable workaround.

• blu28
    blu28 Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

My other thought was to have two templates, one with the opening animation and then a static section longer than I would ever want and the other with the closing animation. That way I could add the first one, drag the length I wanted from the right side and then add the closing one. I would have to be sure to set the parameters the same.

Is there any easy way to split it so I get the elements exactly the same? I tried making the animation normally and then using the razor tool to split it just before the closing animation, duplicating it and deleting the unused tracks, but that still put the animation keyframes at the original timestamps.