Audio crackling after using Rate Stretch Tool?

Theroux
Theroux Posts: 4 Just Starting Out
  • i7-11700F @ 2.50GHz  2.50 GHz
  • RTX 3060
  • 32 GB RAM
  • Windows 10 20H2
  • HP Omen
  • 48000Hz
  • Updating HitFilm to the latest version didn't help
Tagged:

Comments

• kyoshima
    kyoshima Posts: 2 Just Starting Out
    Hmmm.. strange. Should be good
  • Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,431 Ambassador

@Theroux I am unable to replicate that on my system. I tried it with multiple clips from different sources. Does this happen with every clip? More information about your video might help.

Also look to see that both your Audio and GPU drivers are updated - Especially GPU from the manufacturer (NVidia in this case). The GPU driver can sometimes affect the audio chipset since they are trying to stay in sync.

• Theroux

All drivers are up to date. Opening the file in VLC and slowing it there had no crackling. Changing just the pitch in HitFilm and not the speed had no crackling. Attached is a before-and-after sample (40% speed). Unless the crackling is somehow only on my end, it's pretty easy to hear.

• Theroux
    Video itself is a 5-minute NVIDIA Shadowplay clip at 1440p 60fps.
  • Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,431 Ambassador

@Theroux Just a guess, but it could be that the Shadowplay video is Variable Frame Rate? Might be worth a try to transcode it to Constant Frame Rate with Handbrake as a test. All my rate stretch tests were with CFR clips.

But everybody's system is different so who knows? My audio is an onboard mobo Realtek chipset and my GPU is an RTX 2070 Super. Just throwing that out as another data point.

BTW, I am unable to open the sample file due to permissions.

• Theroux
    File should be working now. Apparently with Google Drive the option to download needs to be enabled for others to even play mp3 files.

The project settings were synced to 59.9401 FPS, and neither changing this or the file's FPS resolved the crackling. Slowing the audio in Audacity had no crackling. I tried exporting from there and importing it back into HitFilm to no avail, so it must be on HitFilm's end. I do recall Shadowplay clips having video/audio sync issues with video editing software, supposedly because of the Variable Frame Rate (which you seem to have no control over based on Shadowplay's settings), but this is the first time I've seen this audio issue.