All my creations are now uploading and darkening once they get into youtube.

braindancer
braindancer Posts: 7 Just Starting Out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SGA3aoeeXA

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

To be clear, once you export the file plays correctly in your media player, but gets darker after uploading to YouTube? The rest of this post assumes the answer is "Yes."

If so, well. YouTube recompresses all uploads to its own format you have no control over this final stage, and it's not a Hitfilm problem. You could try brightening your video in Hitfilm to compensate, but it's YouTube processing that would be causing the problem.

• braindancer
    You are correct. It plays just fine in the media player then darkens upon upload. I was just wondering whether there was anything I could control upstream to align with youtube.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Unfortunately not, because you don't have any control over the YouTube encode.

• braindancer
    Well. I have been overbrightening. I will keep doing that I suppose.
  • philipwesson
    philipwesson Posts: 414 Staff

A while back, I had to do a number of videos for multiple platforms. I made export luts in premiere that I used for each platform (youtube/vimeo, etc).

To mirror what Triem23 said, video hosting platforms will encode the file for playback and this can bring about changes to the content. Definitely look into making a preset to adjust your output for the platform of your choice.

• braindancer
    Will those exports be able to auto-brighten? I realized it is exclusive to shorts.