How do I mask an moving object?

curtplatt
curtplatt Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Hello and thank you.

I am looking to have the motion of the car simulator match the movement of the steering wheel of the driver.

I am a noob to VFX editing and I know this is a very complext edit, but would like a couple of suggestions so I can begin the learning process.

Answers

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,438 Ambassador

@curtplatt Yes. What your are talking about is somewhat advanced. However, I'm not quite sure what you want to see on screen. Are you wanting to simulate what the driver sees out the windshield or do you want a birds eye view of the car as is moves through a 3D environment?

The first scenario is probably the easiest of the two. But you still need Transnational X & Y data, plus Rotational data from the simulator. How you get that is beyond me and you would either have to talk to the manufacturer of the device or come up with an interface to extract the data.

The second scenario is more complex and you will need a full on 3D environment, plus X, Y, Z Transnational as well as Rotational data to apply to a 3D model of the car. If you are new to CGI then there is a long learning curve ahead.

In both cases you need data from the simulator. If you can obtain that then my advice is to start small, use a simple setup and only do a couple of seconds of movement until you have your technique developed before moving on to the next step. In other words, see if you can take the transnational data and apply that to a point. Then parent an object onto the point and see what you get. Learning how to do that will be a good place to start.

• tinarivera
    tinarivera Posts: 4 Just Starting Out
    Very good idea to learn about new things. I also try to do that. Though I don't have better experience in video editing. I hope someone might help you here.