Why is HitFilm Express so laggy?

KeeWee
KeeWee Posts: 22 Just Starting Out*
After the recent updates Hitfilm has started to lag out really badly. Video playback is fine but when I wanna do the simplest thing (Like dragging a video file a few centimeters across the timeline) the program drops to around 2 fps. I have a brand new computer (Almost a year old now) with great specs as listed below

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
GPU: RTX 2060 Super
RAM: 3066mhz Corsair Vengeance 2x8
Tagged:

Answers

• jobbew
    jobbew Posts: 4 Just Starting Out*

Yes! I have no solutions, but just want to add/confirm I have similar issues with HF pro. Especially working in composite shots is nearly impossible. Am considering moving to Premiere.

The window even freezes for 3 seconds (even going blurry, as if Windows core is crunching) every other mouseclick. In task manager I see de GPU is in overdrive. I dont want to hijack your thread, hope moderators answer your question, but wanted to reply to signal the big problems HT has after the updates....but got a sneakin suspicion they already know as we speak.

• nalmcruto
    nalmcruto Posts: 61 Just Starting Out*

Reinstall windows may solve that

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,890 Ambassador

@KeeWee Thanks for listing your specs! Unfortunately the bad news is you have a 3rd Gen processor. Minimum specs require 4th Gen.

Your processor is what decodes and encodes the video so that could be your issue. However, there may be ways to optimize your video. One of the gotchas is consumer grade video recorders and screen recorders often encode the video at Variable Frame Rate which is problematic for video editing which wants Constant Frame Rate. Transcoding your video the CFR with something like Handbrake may improve performance.

Just so we have more information to go on, please post a MediaInfo Tree report. Get MediaInfo here: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo. And how use it is here: https://youtu.be/Ivy9ckSX1M0

The easiest way to post the report is to go to, View, scroll down to Text and copy/past that to the thread.

• KeeWee
    I've manually set my video recording software(OBS) to record at 100 fps, which is also the setting I use in HitFilm so that cannot be the issue here. Like I said though, before the updates I've had zero issue doing anything in the program
  • KeeWee
    Also, the 4th gen Ryzen processors came out just recently! (November 5, 2020) And after reading the minimum specs list, it only specifies a 4th gen *Intel* processor, not an AMD one. On top of that, the intel 4000 series (4th gen) CPU's and the 3600x are pretty much the same (With AMD coming slightly on top in terms of performance)
  • NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,371 Expert
    edited November 2021

@Stargazer54 "Unfortunately the bad news is you have a 3rd Gen processor. Minimum specs require 4th Gen."

The OP has an AMD CPU. 3rd, 4th gen has no meaning to AMD. That's an Intel thing. A Ryzen 5 3600x is a very recent and likely capable CPU. The OP says they had no issues before the update.

If one cares about how new something is, it is technically newer than my i9 9900k. But brand new means nothing. One can buy a machine not up to a given task now and 5 years from now.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,890 Ambassador

@NormanPCN Yes, the Ryzen 5 3600x looks to have been released in 2019 - so not an old cpu. But everything I have read says this 3rd Gen. For example: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/amd-ryzen-5-3600x-3rd-generation-6-core-12-thread-3-8-ghz-4-4-ghz-max-boost-socket-am4-unlocked-desktop-processor/6356644.p?skuId=6356644

Going by FXHome's own minimum requirements on this page: https://fxhome.com/support/hitfilm-express

Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors or AMD equivalent.

"AMD equivalent" is certainly ambiguous.

@KeeWee At this point you should contact FXHome directly:

Also make sure you have set OBS to record at CFR instead of the default VFR.

• KeeWee
    Thank you for the help, I'll try to talk to them about this
  • NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,371 Expert
    edited November 2021

@Stargazer54 "But everything I have read says this 3rd Gen."

Fine. But AMD 3rd gen "Ryzen" has nothing to do with Intel 3rd gen "core".

"... or AMD equivalent."

Exactly what is the AMD Ryzen approx equal to Intel 4th gen is undefined by FxHome. That is their problem for being obtuse with their specs.

Of course even a Intel 3rd gen can possibly be better than a 12th gen if the correct parts are compared.

I just looked at Vegas, they are also obtuse WRT AMD CPU generation spec but they are being reasonable by listing clock rate and core count. These are recommended specs. "6th Generation Intel Core i5 (or AMD equivalent) or better with 2.5 Ghz and 4 Cores". Really the thing to take from that is the clock rate and the core count. That is their best listing of reasonable minimum CPU performance for the app. Also that is their min spec for HD editing. At UHD/4K the specs go up. "7th Generation Intel Core i7 (or AMD equivalent) or better with 3.0 Ghz and 8 Cores".

"Also make sure you have set OBS to record at CFR instead of the default VFR."

OBS used to have an option for CFR when the default was VFR. Since version, I don't know, OBS has not had that option anymore. I can't find it. The default is CFR. Of course, if one is recording to MKV then you can never have a true CFR file at frame rates other than 25 or 50 fps. MKV has a fixed 1ms timebase. So if someone records to MKV (AVC codec) and uses the OBS remux feature you will get VFR media (technically VFR, actually a fixed repeating pattern). If you record directly to the MP4 (AVC codec) you will get CFR media.