How to do a dropping image

BadOlPuttyTat
BadOlPuttyTat Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

I am not sure how to describe exactly what I am trying to do. I want to take an image and have it look like its falling from the screen (not visible at first) and have it fall onto the background. In the Ford commercials they have their sign fall down and land on concrete and it shatters the concrete, that's what I am looking to do (except not for Ford). I have Hit Film Express. I do not have any of the add-ons. I was looking through the add-ons trying to see if there was anything in there that sounded like what I am looking for and I didn't see one. I have attached an example of what I'd like to do, I am not trying to make a Ford commercial (I don't want people thinking this is going to violate any copyrights) just using it as an example. Thank you very much for any and all help. https://youtu.be/_GoLJD-Xz_c?t=62

Answers

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,292 Moderator
    edited October 27

Are you looking to replicate the realistic 3D look, or are you looking to make something more stylized? (Possibly just a 2D animation)

If you’re going for the realistic look, your best options would be to actually film what you want (for instance, film the dropping of a metal plate onto dirt, then add a logo in HitFilm), or create a 3D simulation in Blender to build the scene and replicate the physics (how the logo has a little bounce when it hits the floor).

HitFilm could get you something similar with the 3D add on pack, but it would take keyframing to get the look you want (HitFilm doesn’t have the physics capabilities with 3D models that Blender does) the add on costs $50, so I can’t really recommend that route.

Alternatively, if you’re going for something more stylized and “2D” that’s much more within HitFilm’s capabilities and we can go into more detail with that if that’s what you want to do

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,292 Moderator
    edited October 26

Additionally, this AE tutorial would convert to HitFilm quite easily:

• Gelqone
    Gelqone Posts: 96 Enthusiast
    edited October 27

You don't need to play with physics in Blender - it is a simple movement. No matter 2D or 3D object, just set the layer to 3D and kayframe a movement from top to a bottom (change Z position, you could add aditional Z rotation) with one bounce at the end. That should be enough. The rest are effects like dust, shake and anything you want.