Hitfilm all of a sudden running incredibly slow

Duchey
Duchey Posts: 3 Just Starting Out*
edited October 27 in HitFilm

whenever im previewing footage in the viewer its completely fine, but every time i move something in the timeline or make a keyframe for any transform or just do anything in general it hangs for 3-4 seconds before performing the action whilst a few months back i could do anything just fine.

my specs are:

Ryzen 7 3700x 8-core

RTX 2060 running at a slight underclock due to it being a piece of **** that is actively trying to end its life

32gb ram

and hitfilm is running off of an SSD with about 70gb free space to cache stuff.

Best Answer

• HazBo87
    HazBo87 Posts: 3 Just Starting Out*
    Accepted Answer
    Sorry to bombard your thread Duchey but I've just scoured the forum and came across a suggestion to disable Timeline Caching (file>options>cache>disable timeline cache)
    It seems to have stopped my issues *fingers crossed*

Answers

• HazBo87

Duchery I'm having exactly the same problem since the latest big update (update 17?)

Performance was great then after the update, boom, anything from adding text to making keyframes i get the 3 or so second hang.

Hitfilm and the associated footage is on my main drive which is a m.2 drive with plenty of space.

Rocking a Ryzen 5600x

1070 founders gfx card

16gb ram

So...yeah I would also like some help in this regards lol. I havnt tried creating proxies yet as i have never had to touch them before, so if it helps narrow down the issue I always select "Do not create proxies". I have another video coming up and will experiment with creating performance ones BUT I'd be annoyed if I had to as its never been an issue before now.

Kind Regards,

HazBo

• HazBo87
    Think I've narrowed down when the problem starts. So importing recordings and then adding them directly to the timeline with no modifications in the trimmer seems to cause no issues, I can add text, fade stuff etc with no lag.

HOWEVER

Selecting the clip then using the trimming window to select start/end points and THEN adding to the timeline causes the beginning of all the issues.
    Hope this helps narrowing a potential fix
  • Duchey

i've never in my life used the trimming window, and i've got the problem. so thats probably not the cause in my case.

could be related to the update though, i could test it but i dont know a way to roll back updates.

and uh, dont touch the proxies. i tried using the high quality ones and all it did was deepfry my footage. now there's just a layer of static noise layered over everything that wasn't there before this update.

• Duchey

aye that fixed literally every stutter.

i cannot even begin to understand why that was causing it but you know what its fine probably.

it works, that counts right?

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,431 Ambassador

@Duchey @HazBo87 You may have stumbled onto some fringe issue with HF 17. Definitely recommend you open a ticket with FXHome Support so that the devs will have an opportunity to look at the details and provide a potential fix in subsequent updates.