How to expand my skill?

hungthai
hungthai Posts: 4 Just Starting Out
edited October 19 in Post-production techniques
I've been using hitfilm for several months, i knew the basic but i want to learn more affects,...Where could i learn those stuff( except Youtube)?
And can you tell me your journey from a newbie to a pro?
THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Best Answers

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert
    Accepted Answer

@hungthai If you are not into Youtube, I would suggest you start with reading the User Guide...

When I was researching to create my Udemy Course, "The Absolute Beginners Course on HitFilm Express," I read the User Guide from cover to cover. You would be amazed at how much information is in there!

Otherwise, I would hang out here in the forums. Reading post answers from people like @Triem23, @tddavis, @Andy001z, @Stargazer54, @CleverTagline, @triforcefx and the like will get you really far, really quickly. In addition, asking specific questions about things you would like to know how to do will really get you going also.

You can also read through the HitFilm Sub-Reddit and the HitFilm Facebook Groups as well.

...and then of course there is Youtube!

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator
    Accepted Answer

@hungthai The only external structured class that I know of off hand is one by FilmSensei on Udemy. While it does mainly explain the program and how to use it, there is a section that walks through what all the effects are for and what they do. Other than that, Youtube tutorials and asking specific how-to questions here in the forum are the best resources.

If you want to take a look.

• philipwesson
    philipwesson Posts: 416 Staff
    Accepted Answer

Hi @hungthai, aside from Youtube, which is definitely very focused, I would recommend just getting in and playing around. It also helps to have a short project that you want to do, then figure out how to use the software to achieve it. Learning by doing will always stay with you longer than learning by following step-by-step instructions.

Most importantly, learn how to take an effect apart. Let's say you see something in a movie, try to separate the effect into its individual parts. Then take the knowledge that you already have, and try to re-create it. VFX breakdowns will be your friend here. Also, learn to pay attention to how light works in VFX. For example, if you have an effect that is supposed to generate light, how does that light affect the people and objects around it?

In regards to what separates a newbie from a pro, I'd say time and attention to detail. if there's an explosion, is it kicking up dust and debris? Is the light from the explosion cast on the walls and ground?

Visual effects is as much a technical pursuit as it is an artistic pursuit, so pay attention to both!

Also, always have reference footage :)

Answers

• spydurhank
    spydurhank Posts: 3,193 Expert

Howdy @hungthai , nice name. 😀

Visualization through imagination and Practice... lots of Practice.

Have a higher standard than everyone else. Don't settle. Stay positive, motivated and focus on getting better.

You are your own Best and Worst teacher because it is up to you as to how you're going to translate all of this new info into your perspective so,

as a lifelong, real world artist, I can tell you that you should do your best to go into any artistic project without holding onto any Bias.

When you stay Positive and don't let your Ego's Biases enter the equation, it will speed up your learning and comprehension.

Love what you're getting into and know that if you keep going... you're only gonna get better and better.

Think like a Pro and not a Newbie... Aim high and stay there.

• hungthai
    hungthai Posts: 4 Just Starting Out
    thanks you guys so much
  • CyberFighterMovie
    CyberFighterMovie Posts: 43 Enthusiast

I find that trying to learn a new program can be overwhelming, so what I do is just research a specific technique or effect that I want to learn for a project. That way I am learning practical things from the beginning, instead of trying to learn and memorize the whole software. I'm starting to learn Unreal Engine this way.

Just like everyone else has advised -- practice, practice, practice. You learn by doing, and re-doing better. Don't worry that you aren't good at it yet -- it takes lots of time to get good. I'm still trying to make my work as good as lots of the filmmakers here who've really mastered HitFilm.

Oh, and make sure you're having fun while you're doing it!