A Hitfilm Express vs DaVinci article

FlyingBanana78
FlyingBanana78 Posts: 477 Enthusiast

Figured I would share this that I came across when just randomly cruising the vast world wide web. Seen this and thought I would share this bloggers thoughts between the two softwares.

https://www.movavi.io/hitfilm-express-vs-davinci-resolve-en/

Comments

• philipwesson
    philipwesson Posts: 414 Staff

I'm a big believer in the idea that it's not about the software, but about the artist. Depending on what you want to do, either will work great. I happen to have Resolve (it came with my camera), and it's a great application, but I also have HitFilm Pro and use it more regularly. Each has its own strengths. The key, however, is if you as an artist can achieve what you set out to do with what you have.

At the end of the day, those viewing your content care about the content, not what software was used to make it :)

• FlyingBanana78
    FlyingBanana78 Posts: 477 Enthusiast

@philipwesson that is exactly how I see it as well. Most all software is good for a set task but not all tasks. Just because one software can do multiple things doesn't mean it is the "best" at doing everything.

• assen
    assen Posts: 10 Just Starting Out*

I don't think the comparison is correct. They write that HitFilm Express supports plug-ins, which is not true. There is some truth, but in no case can it be said that HitFilm Express supports plugins. There are modules that are activated for a fee, but these are not plugins.

It is also not true that DaVinci Resolve does not support plugins. The free 3D LUT Creator appears in Resolve until I see no way to use it in HitFilm Express.

• philipwesson
    philipwesson Posts: 414 Staff

It does seem like they need to do research. HitFilm Pro supports OFX plugins, and Resolve can use Ignite Pro, which FXhome makes...

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

@philipwesson the article was comparing the FREE versions. One requires Hitfilm Pro or Resolve Studio to use OFX plug ins.

I'll assume you're well aware of the differences between HF Express and Pro, so I'll just drop this comparison between Resolve free and Studio.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

I have used OpenFX plug-ins in the free Resolve.

The free Resolve does use the GPU. GPU acceleration. The free version will not use multiple GPUs. The free version does not support HW decode or encode or AVC/HEVC media.

• assen
    assen Posts: 10 Just Starting Out*

I use the free version of Resolve and the OFX plugin works quite correctly in front of my eyes.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

@assen @NormanPCN it's possible that 1) Blackmagic added OFX functionality to the free version of Resolve in the last year or so, or 2) my source article (which I linked) was wrong.

I use the Studio version of Resolve, so couldn't tell you the differences without someone else's list. It's not like Hitfilm where I run Pro but keep a copy of Express with no add ons to compare/assist users. 👍

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

>it's possible that 1) Blackmagic added OFX functionality to the free version of Resolve in the last year or so, or 2) my source article (which I linked) was wrong.

@Triem23

Back to Resolve 14/15 OpenFX was there.

That Toolfarm article does not state that OpenFX is not supported in the free version of Resolve.

It does state things like "DaVinci Resolve includes several filters under OpenFX, but some of the filters are not included in the free version" and "Many third-party OpenFX plugins use features that are only available in the Studio version. In other words, they can’t be used in the free version."

The article is badly worded WRT GPU usage. IMO, It strongly implies that GPU usage is not available in the free version. It is HW decode and encode that only Studio has (AVC & HEVC). That an multiple GPU support. Resolve much like Hitfilm requires a GPU for the timeline to operate. Vegas, if it is still like it was, can operate it's timeline without GPU.