HitFilm Pro 16 crashes when importing many data or large file(s)

Multicoder
Multicoder Posts: 13 Just Starting Out*
Hey,
formerly I used HitFilm Pro 15. When that started crashing on large data, I updated to HitFilm Pro 16.0.10807.58344. But that crashes, too.

I have a rather large file that's 51.5 GB in size. When I import it into HitFilm, first everything is fine. It starts conforming the audio and then it crashes after a few seconds.
There's plenty of space free on all drives and I have 64 GB RAM, so it should be working from a hardware point of view, I think.
The same crash happens, when I try to import multiple files that - in sum - are too large for HitFilm to handle (at least it seems like it).

Is there a way to prevent HitFilm crashing?
If not: can the newest version HitFilm handle this kind of data? (would consider upgrading, if so)
If not: is it possible to "shrink" the size of my raw video file somehow? Or stop HitFilm from conforming the audio?

~ Daniel
Tagged:

Comments

• Multicoder
    Oh sorry, I only saw the Posting requirements now. So here's the info:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K
    GPU: MSI NVidia GeFore RTX 3070
    RAM: 64 GB
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64bit Version 20H2

My drivers are all up to date.
    The origin of the raw video file is: recorded Gameplay via OBS at 1080p 60fps with a bitrate of 100 Mbps (length of the video: 01:13:21)
  • Multicoder
    edited October 15

I managed to put the video into the export queue quickly with the hope, I could render it once to reduce it's size.

Unfortunately it didn't work. When I start the exporting I get the error message "The render process crashed. Please try again."

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,079 Ambassador
    edited October 15

I'll suggest you download a free program called MediaInfo, generate a "Tree" report and post that here. MediaInfo is free.

Tutorial link.

With a 53GB file I'm guessing you have a long screen recording of a game or something? In general, Hitfilm doesn't like super long-duration files. Ultimately I'm going to suggest you use a program like Handbrake or FFMpeg to break your file into 10-15 minute segments. This takes a load of Hitfilm and will speed up the edit process (for one thing you can start cutting, say, the first couple of segments while the rest are still caching).

The reason I'm asking for a MediaInfo report is many screen recorders record Variable Frame Rate (VFR) which can cause issues with Hitfilm (and other NLEs). Basically checking to see if you need to be converting to constant frame rate (CFR) while splitting segments. This can be done in the same pass, so it's just about wanting to make proper recommendations.

You screen record with OBS, by default it's VBR but can be set to CFR. Shadow play, Windows screen recorder and others are always VFR. You've probably got VFR this time, but let's verify with MediaInfo.

A quick way to check for VFR is to check Properties for the file in Windows. If the frame rate reported is NOT 23.97, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 48, 50, 59.94 or 60 it's VFR. I.e. "30.02" fps is VFR. MediaInfo is better at this.

• Multicoder

Thank you for your answer!

File properties say 60.00 FPS. OBS is also set to CBR.

Here is the text exported from media info.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,079 Ambassador

Awesome. CFR is good.

About 23:40 in this video are some Handbrake settings that maintain high detail, but edit quickly in Hitfilm.

This video shows how to split/trim long files in Handbrake.

And this covers batch processing.

Now Handbrake has a graphic interface, so it's easy to learn. FFMpeg is a command line program, so you have to type in a little script to do things, but, in this thread @NormanPCN left his command line to have FFMpeg split a file every 10 minutes. In the long run this is the easiest way to split clips.

And the split should make Hitfilm happy so you can edit. 👍

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,446 Ambassador

Just for clarity CBR is Constant Bit Rate and is not really a problem.

What will trip you up is Variable Frame Rate (VFR) which should be transcoded to Constant Frame Rate (CFR). Easy to confuse the two, but CFR is what you want.

• Multicoder

Thank you very much for your Tipps! Alas, it's not over yet :(

I first tried the FFMPEG way, that failed after exactly 37:32.

Then I tried HandBrake and that ALSO failed at exactly 37:32.

So there must be an error at that position in the file. FFMPEG says something about a corrupted packet and missing pictures. Can I fix that file somehow?

Here is the message I got from FFMPEG:

• Stargazer54

@Multicoder According to the ffmpeg output error, you have a problem with "frame=135169". Try making the split before that. If successful, you want to make another split past that point to avoid the corrupt area of the video.

The line above that says "permission denied" - not sure if that means it can't write the file or you have some issue with writing to the folder you are outputting to. Could just be part of the corrupt frame, too.

The other thing I see is "fps=215". AFAIK that is a non-standard video frame rate and most software will look at that and go wtf? and quit. So I would say the video file has some issues.

To be sure, please post a MediaInfo "Tree" report on it so we can see the underlying details on the file

• Multicoder

Hey @Stargazer54 thank you for your answer! I'll try with the split.

I posted the MediaInfo a few posts above. Is that what you need?

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,082 Enthusiast
    edited October 16

>The other thing I see is "fps=215"

Ignore that. That line in the output is simply processing details ffmpeg is giving on a periodic basis. Kind of a pulse, letting you know it is alive and working and not hung/crashed.

Specifically that fps is the speed at which ffmpeg is processing the file. It is processing at 215 frames per second. The Speed readout is listing the same thing, just in different terms (relative to base frame rate). When you are encoding you will never see such speeds, but when simply re-muxing a file, ffmpeg certainly can really haul butt.

--

@Multicoder

The MediaInfo looks reasonable. The GOP is long which won't help edit performance in Hitfilm in circumstances.

For future references, just copy/paste a media info report into your post. Just make things easier and keep someone from glossing over an attached file.

It really looks like you are going to have to trim out the corrupt data. You are going to lose more than just the bad frame(s). At least one entire GOP (group of pictures) has to be lost. Maybe two. Your GOP is 120, which is two seconds.

How you trim out, aka what tool do you use, is another matter. That is kinda personal preference. that app needs to seek beyond the bad area. Not scan thru it. Hitfilm seem to linearly scan on import. Bad on them for not being fault tolerant. Depending on what you mean by crash.

Of course ffmpeg can do it. You just have to create multiple commands. One to stop before the bad area. One to start after the bad area.

For a GUI tool VirtualDub might be a good bet. I know Virtualdub has the ability to seek on a GOP basis. I don't know how fault tolerant they are with corrupt files. VirtualDub can also do encodeless remuxing should that be something you want to do during the trim out of the corrupt data process. aka split the file into smaller pieces.

It is not an uncommon post about Hitfilm having some issue(s) with long files. I was not able to reproduce in a test I constructed some time ago but there are enough reports to heed the warning.

Video

ID                    : 1

Format                  : AVC

Format/Info               : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile              : [email protected]

Format settings             : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames

Format settings, CABAC          : Yes

Format settings, Reference frames    : 4 frames

Format settings, GOP           : M=3, N=120

Codec ID                 : avc1

Codec ID/Info              : Advanced Video Coding

Duration                 : 1 h 13 min

Bit rate mode              : Constant

Bit rate                 : 100.0 Mb/s

Width                  : 1 920 pixels

Height                  : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio           : 16:9

Frame rate mode             : Constant

Frame rate                : 60.000 FPS

Color space               : YUV

Chroma subsampling            : 4:2:0

Bit depth                : 8 bits

Scan type                : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)            : 0.804

Stream size               : 51.2 GiB (99%)

Color range               : Limited

Color primaries             : BT.709

Transfer characteristics         : BT.709

Matrix coefficients           : BT.709

Codec configuration box         : avcC

• Multicoder
    edited October 16

When I think about it... the crash (complete crash to desktop with popup to send error report) happens during audio conforming.

I wonder if the error could occur because there is one or multiple frames with audio but without video (because the error message "missing image") and that causes the crash.

So, if there would be a way, to separate the video and audio tracks that could possibly solve my problem without losing much.

I know how to get the audio tracks from a video file using audacity, but how can I delete the audio tracks from the video file?

//EDIT: I just found a way to do exactly this using VLC Player. I'll try that and keep you updated :)

• Multicoder

Update spitting through VLC didn't work. Canceled at the same time as FFMPEG and HandBrake.

Guess, I'll have to try splitting around the error GOP...

• Stargazer54

@NormanPCN Thanks for the clarification on what "fps=215" means. Wouldn't have dawned on me that was how fast ffmpeg was processing frames. Good to know!

@Multicoder You are in good hands with Norman. He's the expert on codecs and knows his stuff. Like he says, VirtualDub might be an option. If no luck there you might try an old video utility called MpegStreamClip - http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html. Another option might be ShotCut - https://www.shotcut.org/

No guarantees with any of those. Just throwing out options.

• NormanPCN
    edited October 17

I think VirtualDub might be the best way to go. I could write some ffmpeg commands, but I would have to lookup the seeking items, test a little and then post. By that time one would be long done with VirtualDub/other.

also, note. We know about one corrupt location. There may be others beyond the first one.

also, note. I don't know if an ffmpeg seek or VirtualDub seek can skip past the corruption. If yes, then how close past the corruption you do so. File header metadata does have some see info but may not exist on a GOP by GOP basis. It may be more coarse. I've no idea if/how the apps use that metadata.

With VirtualDub, on the video menu, select stream copy to have Vdub not re-encode the video. Thus preserving the source as is. Same for audio but Vdub can get quirky here with AAC (common/normal). Sometime you may still want to process the audio. In VirtualDub you would use in/out points just like in Hitfilm. To just trim out a corrupt middle you just need to set the out point as the in defaults to the file start. Then save video as. Then set the in point beyond the corruption and put the out and the end of file (not sure that is entirely necessary but be explicit). Then save video as. Save as same type. MP4 container.

ffmpeg seeking

Something like

ffmpeg -i video.mp4 -to 00:36:00 -c copy front.mp4
    ffmpeg -ss 00:38:00 -i video.mp4 -c copy back.mp4

This skips a couple of minutes. I've no idea the exact extent of the corrupt zone. "-c copy" copies the source video and audio streams as is without re-encoding. 00:38:00 is hours:minutes:seconds. One can iteratively inch the seek points around the corruption to get closer.

• Multicoder

Unfortunately there is no "save video as..." in VDub. I only can export AVI and that doesn't work with "direct stream copy" because it's a different format...

I'll try with "full processing" then - whatever that means.

• NormanPCN

Don't be so quick to dismiss. there is one item on the file menu with, save video, in the name and it is a ... item which means a dialog will be opened. Don't expect me to be perfect typing stuff from memory. Take some initiative.

File Menu

The save video dialog. The bottom will list the output types/specs. Direct stream copy is what is desired. The saved defaults to AVI but just change that to MP4.

With AAC audio Vdub will not do a direct stream copy even when setup to do so. Change to full processing mode. Audio menu.

Then you will want to set the conversion (audio menu). Vdub often wants to make AAC audio 32-bit float audio even though it is 16-bit. Set 16-bit. Then set the compression to Ffmpeg AAC. Audio menu. The Configure button in compression will let you set the bitrate. In Vdub the bitrate is per channel, so overall bitrate is x2 for stereo.

If you do not want to re-compress compressed audio, then set the output type to MOV. Here you can select uncompressed PCM audio in compression. You still want 16-bit in conversion. Hitfilm will conform PCM audio faster on import as well.

• NormanPCN

FWIW I did corrupt a video file for a quick test. Unfortunately I corrupted video data and not the stream meta info. This is more likely than not since most of a video file is actual data.

I'm not sure how to find the exact file offset to some meta info to get a corruption like your that causes a crash in an app. Not worth figuring it out.

• Multicoder

My menu looks completely different. There is no "save video" either. I would've tried that if I saw it.

Oh... oooohhh... Now I see... you have VirtualDub 2 and I have 1.10.4.... Ok, sorry for the inconvenience.

• NormanPCN
    edited October 17

Okay, sorry about that, I need to remember to say VirtualDub 2.

As often happens with one man open source applications, the author lost interest in working on it. But it will remain on the NET so someone may find it. At least a google of "Virtualdub" is populated with Vdub2 links at the top. Still, better to be explicit.

At some point someone new decided to take up VDub and keep it going. They eventually called it VirtualDub 2 to distinguish it. At first it was VirtualDub FilterMod. VirtualDub 2 is a cleaner name.

• Multicoder

Thank you so so so much! I had to cut quite a large chunk out of the video but in the end it worked!

Thank you so much! 😊👍