How to combine Greenscreen Clips with Background more realisticly

Trommlertom
Trommlertom Posts: 22 Just Starting Out*

Hi There,

I am doing my first Green Screen Project.

I know that I did some Lighting mistakes when shooting the Band... ;-)

What bothers me a lot is that the band is strongly recognizable against the background. It is not a unit. The band video has sharp edges and therefore does not blend with the background....

Who has tips on how I can create a more homogeneous overall image?

I am very grateful for tips!

I can't change anything on the material, so I'm looking for possibilities in postproduction.

I use Hitfilm Express and for the green screen effect the Color Difference effect. Would the paid package "Composite: Pro Keying" give better results? For example, soft edges?

Thanks guys for your input...

Thomas

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator
    edited October 15

@Trommlertom A little Light Wrap with it set to the background layer and the blend set to lighten might help marry to two together more. Also, you might be able to cut the Contrast of the 'band' layer a bit to help it match the background, and finally you can add a Grade layer above both video layers and add some adjustment to both at once to make them seem more 'shot at the same time.' That's all I got, but I am sure there are more ideas out there. Hope these help some.

• Trommlertom

Thanks for your input. I will check these advices in detail! :-)

• CyberFighterMovie
    CyberFighterMovie Posts: 43 Enthusiast

I always like to add a grade layer and then play with the curves to give the illusion that both elements were shot at the same time and not a composite. You can also add slight noise and grain to help hide the fact that your BG is CG. The trick is trying to match lighting and color saturation as much as possible .

Also -- blur is your best friend. Give a slight blur to the band so that they blend into the background, which is already blurred. Not too much, just till it looks more realistic.

• Manhit
    Manhit Posts: 51 Enthusiast

Hi @Trommlertom ,

You can get better results (especially with blurring edges) with the "Composite: Pro Keying" option in Hitfilm Pro but but the suggestions already offered within Express can greatly help as well. I am impressed that this is your first green screen project and that you got such a clean key just using the colour difference effect. May I ask what camera you used? Thanks!

• Trommlertom

Thanks to all of you!

Your comments and suggestion will help me to get better results in future.

Cheers Thomas!

• Trommlertom

Hi Manhit,

Thanks for your compliment...

I used a Sony A6400 (wide angle) and a Sony A6600 (Closeup)...

BTW here is the final clip.

views and shares are appreciated.. ;-)

https://youtu.be/D7m5hxvPd3E

Stay well!

Thomas

• ellis_is_great
    ellis_is_great Posts: 44 Enthusiast

The first thing is to get your perspective right. Looks like you have a still image as the background. When you place the band in the front, make sure they are in correct perspective with the still image.

I'd look at the 2d to 3d tutorial to split the 2d backgrounds into 3d layers. Make the shot of the band a 3d layer as well. Add in some fake but subtle camera movements. This will sell it better than a static shot.

Also you are in a desert, composite in some layers of dust to help sell the illusion.

The grading transfer effect is like a magic button that can really unify the two elements. I think you need the add on or Pro for it. You can use the regular curves and other color correction tools to unify the two separate elements too just needs a bit ore of an artists eye to get it perfect.

Blurs and film grain are the other effects that will help a lot.

I have had some good results using the lightwrap effect but setting the blend to overlay, as stacking on some with the blend to lighten as well.

Then throw a final color grade on top to really bring it all together.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,080 Ambassador
    edited November 26

This tutorial is a few versions of Hitfilm old, but has some important information of you're layering elements in 3D space.

@ellis_is_great brought up perspective, and it's easier to match perspective if the focal length matches for all shot elements. Even if the elements match, if layering them in 3D space it's REALLY helpful to match the Hitfilm virtual camera to the footage of your foreground elements (the band)

This tutorial covers a couple of different ways to match the Hitfilm camera to your video plate. Since you know what your cameras and lenses are you should be able to figure out the 35mm equivalent of your lenses to match with the HF camera.

There's also fspy, which is a program that lets you place perspective lines on a still and calculates the focal length for you. This is useful when pulling images or clips from online as backgrounds. If you start with calculating the focal length of the BG image you can try to match your camera before the shoot. The matching perspectives will help.

Incidentally, Hitfilm's default camera is always 35mm equivalent.

Otherwise, everyone else in this thread has given you some really fantastic advice, but let me sum it all up again, in order from before the shoot to final edits.

• Try to find perspective of downloaded plates to match with your on-set camera.
    • Try to match your set lighting with the BG plate.
    • For 3D composites match the Hitfilm camera to the set camera. This will also make setting up a 3D space easier - especially a floor plane.
    • While the Pro Chroma Keyer is fantastic it doesn't actually do anything you can't do without it. The main advantage to the Pro Chroma Keyer is it has a bunch of different modules built in. But, if you look in the Matte Enhancement Effects group you'll find things like Matte Choker, Alpha Brightness/Contrast, Spill removal, etc. Most of this stuff is built into the Pro Chroma Keyer, which makes that effect faster and easier to tweak, but all the individual bits are already available to you.
    • Color correct first - this refers to getting the general exposure, tone, contrast and color of BG and foreground to match. Grading is later. The Color Match effect goes here if you have it.
    • Light wrap can really help blend a BG and FG.
    • Whether working in 2D or 3D, dust, haze, smoke layers will help add depth to the scene - especially in a desert.
    • Finally, grade on Grade Layers above the Composite so the final effects affect all your nicely matched footage.
  • Trommlertom

Thanks to everybody for the great input...

Very much appreciated..

Thomas