Super glow is really cool!

digitalbaruch
digitalbaruch Posts: 51 Enthusiast

I know several have complained about the update being slow (and honestly it's slower for me as well), but the new super glow effect is awesome. Kudos to the devs for that!

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

It is. Took some experiments to get it doing what I wanted but, once I got my head around it, it can do some beautiful things!

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,033 Staff

Glad to hear you're enjoying it, I had a lot of fun making and testing the effect and I'm excited to see what users do with it!

• digitalbaruch

Here is a sermon title page I made with the super glow on the fractal texture set to the underlying text. I love how dynamic or subtle you can make it.

• Triem23

Very nice bloom. 😁👍

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert
  • spyresca
    spyresca Posts: 213 Enthusiast

I wish the devs would spend more time on basic editing and audio functions than shiny stuff like this.

• Triem23

@spyresca What in the heck do you call adding a proxy system and a timeline cache if not basic editing function? Not to mention other speed/workflow based improvements, like being able to disable scopes during playback, a bunch of new keyboard shortcuts for common tasks like "Fit to Frame," zooming the timeline, or exporting frames? How about Opening a timeline clip in the Trimmer now matches the Trimmer playhead position to the timeline playhead position, when possible? Maybe how now modifying the Track Select tool with Alt allows you to select everything after the cursor, excluding clips at the cursor position? Oh, and the keyboard shortcut to open timeline clips in the trimmer?

All of those changes are basic editing function enhancements.

Looking at the bugfix log, all of these relate to basic editing and audio improvements: Resizing clips when a transition is also selected now works correctly. HEVC support has been improved, and now handles a wider range of files. Copying a layer with a parent from one timeline and pasting it to another timeline no longer causes stability issues. They've improved functionality for importing a specific range of images from an image sequence. Adding 1440p video to a 1080p timeline no longer causes unexpected blurring. The search functionality in the Effects panel has been improved. Performance when deleting large quantities of keyframes is improved. Undoing the creation of a mask point no longer deselects the mask. The Ratio control in the Audio Compressor effect is now working correctly. The Export Now command no longer starts export of other queued export tasks. Performance of deleting mask path keyframes has been improved. The waveform displayed for merged audio and video is now properly synced with the audio and video. Deleting multiple selections which include both clips and transitions now correctly deletes the transitions.

So that's a big focus on basic editing and audio. Less so on audio. (I'll agree Hitfilm could use some more audio tools, or just VST compatibility, then we can use the audio tools coded by everyone else). Still, the new "shiny stuff" in HF 2021.2 is Super Glow, Cosmos, Electro and Page Curl. I think four "shiny things" is fair when I'm counting 21 changes or fixes, listed above, to basic editing. the list is old enough to drink alcohol in the USA. Oh, let's comment how how it's actually now possible to edit the tangents on an open mask without causing the mask to close to make 22, and The text engine for text layers and text effects got improved. If text is a "basic editing" thing then that's 23.

Since 23 is "my number," I'll stop there.

So, at least 23 changes, improvements, enhancements and fixes related to basic editing vs a measly 4 new shiny things.

Good job, devs!

• spyresca
    edited October 18

Hitfilm remains an excellent compositor and only a mediocre editor. It lacks basic stuff (Timeline markers, Decent Audio, VST Support, etc.) which can sometimes be found in less expensive (and even free!) editors. I went into HF hoping for an "all in one solution" not "composite here and edit in another editor". But hey, lotsa new "shiny stuff" right?

I completely agree with the the wisdom below and have no regrets in delaying my planned upgrade; using that saved cash for other purposes.

"Audio editing is barely acceptable, the Timeline really needs Markers, a multicam mode would be welcome, I prefer RAM preview to the Timeline Cache, handling of slo-mo is an unintuive PITA, VST support should be added, there's a render bug with 3D models in 16/32-bit color space that's ticked me off since v15, and a bug where environment wraps are rotated 180° from where they should be, requiring additional steps to correct. There needs to be a pitch shift feature to correct audio issues arising from speeding/slowing footage, I've been waiting for the promised updates to the Media Bin for two years, and Action Pro (not Hitfilm, but designed to aid with animation in Hitfilm) was so mishandled FXhome discontinued it, but are at least letting current license holders keep the broken software.

I could go on about Hitfilm issues."

• Triem23

@spyresca it is simultaneously true that there are many improvements I would like to see added to Hitfilm - I'll mentioned VST effects again - AND that the devs for the last two major revisions have been focused more on base editing speed and functionality over new "shiny stuff." I can both wish for more changes/improvements to Editor functions while acknowledging that's where the devs have been putting more focus.

• digitalbaruch

I like shiny things, but I'm also not doing major edits either. There are always going to be things to improve about any software. I've used a few of the free video editors and none of them compare to the functionality and ease of use as hitfilm. The only thing that they've had from my use (which is admittedly limited) is the timeline markers. I really hope those are in the next update.

• Triem23

@digitalbaruch sigh. Had that hope since v3...

• spyresca
    edited October 20

I'll stick with my preference that better audio, vst, markers, etc. should take priority over fluff like "Super glow". And no, the proxies and so on aren't more (or even "as") important to me as that sort of basic functionality.

If I see real movement towards that, perhaps I'll upgrade (as I had already planned to, with money put aside for it).

Until then, I have no regrets in spending that money elsewhere (holidays are here, yeah!) continuing to use the software I already own.

• Triem23

@spyresca ah, now we come to it. You don't truly wish the devs would "spend more time on basic editing and audio functions" at all. You specifically want markers and VST effects.

I feel comfortable in saying this because you've literally just dismissed proxies and the other basic editing feature enhancements I listed off with, "...aren't as important to me..." QED.

I can merely assume you've up voted the relevant Feature Request threads.

None of which changes the fact that the last Hitfilm update added four new effects ("fluff?"), three of which are Pro-Only, yet added over 20 changes, features and enhancements relating to basic editing functions to Pro and Express, because the current focus in both Hitfilm 16 and 17 was, in fact, "basic editing functionality." 17, I've discussed. 16 ported all of Hitfilm from an OpenGL 2.2/OpenCL 1.0 core to an OpenGL 4.4/Open CL 1.2. OpenGL, in particular deprecated v2 features in v3, then added/changed a bunch of stuff in v3 and v4, which mostly likely required almost every feature in Hitfilm (except the QT based interface) to be recorded from the ground up (if one were to start clicking the question marks on the varied effects filters, one would see that they were all, in fact recoded to new versions.). Whether or not specific features you (or I for that matter) have been implemented (we both want markers and VST and I'd love a dedicated multicam mode), it's still an unfair characterization of the dev team to say they are focused on new effects over basic edit functionality.

Anyways, if you decide to not update your Hitfilm until those two particular features - markers and VST support - are added, that's cool. If you use other software for some things, that's also cool. I certainly shift around between a heck of a lot of programs depending on the task. I use Hitfilm Vegas Pro and Resolve for different editing tasks, as well as Imerge, Affinity Photo, Krita, PDHowler, OnOne PhotoRAW and Photomatix for stills, Vegas Pro, Sound Forge, Levelator, and Audacity for different audio tasks and a slew of other programs like Blender, fSpy, Cascadeur, etc for other tasks. Whatever software works for what you want to do is the right software to use.

• spyresca
    edited October 20

Yes, I want Hitfilm to have the basics that many (most?) other similar commercial (and even some free!) products have. It goes beyond the "It's just two features" thing you've glommed on to. But yeah, those (amongst others) are important and no, I don't want to be forced to use another program just to have decent sound in my edits.

It's also a lot of other stuff that others (including you!) have complained about beyond audio and vst support. And until I see fxhome/artlist prioritize some of these basics soon, its no upgrade or perhaps moving to a different solution.

Frankly, I'm also waiting to see what happens with the Artlist takeover. It's all happy talk at first with these kind of buyouts, but then later, well often not so much. And that can take some time. I'm a cautious user, looking to the future and the value of what I spend my bucks on.

Is that so hard to grok?