Lens Blur greyed out in HitFilm Express

mcthompson
mcthompson Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out*
edited October 10 in HitFilm

Hi all - I'm a beginner. Thanks for any help.

All the articles on the subject say that the Lens Blur Tool is available for free on HitFilm Express. But when I go to use it, it's greyed out in the dropdown menu (see screenshot).

It's not greyed out in the Effects panel at the lower left corner, but I can't drag it onto the timeline from there.

I'd appreciate any help on what I'm missing. Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,969 Ambassador

You are working in the Editor Timeline. You see that "[Layer Only]" next to the Lens Blur effect? "Layer Only" effects must be used in composite shots.

• mcthompson

Thank you. I discovered this after spending some more time digging. I figured out how to get into the Composite Editor. It looks like I'll need more time with a tutorial of some kind, because clearly this is not an intuitive action, and therefore not as simple as dragging the effect onto the clip (which blurs the WHOLE clip). Disappointing, but my bad. Thanks anyway.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,969 Ambassador

For future understanding.

The Editor is TRACKS, Comps are LAYERS. There's a difference, and @FilmSensei discusses that here.

So, "Layer Only" effects like Lens Blur require Comps because they have the ability to use a second source layer as data - which can't be done in the Editor. The Lens Blur sources another layer as the depth map. A grayscale image. White is "full blur" black "no blur" and gray is "partly blurred." You create the map to define the areas that should blur.

Section 7.5.5 in the manual discusses this more with some images to help explain.

FXhome did a tutorial a couple months ago, too.

So, now that we've discussed WHY a "Layer Only" effect is Comps-only (needing to source another layer), hopefully the logic will make sense to you and become more "intuitive." 👍

• mcthompson

Thank you. I've seen the above tutorial. I'm hoping to find some tutorials with more walk-through detail, rather than primarily introduction and description.