Raka_Orion Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out*

When I try to export a video, I get the following error:

'Could not initialize the h264 encoder (error 48)'

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Aimee
    Aimee Administrator, Moderator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1 Staff

Hi. What is the width and height of the timeline? This error can show if the width and/or height is not a multiple of 2 when using an export preset that uses the H.264 video codec.

• infometa
    infometa Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem by exporting my videos, but the error is:

'Could not initialize the H264 encoder (Error 29)'

This happens after I upgraded the HE to 2021.2 version on my macOS Mojave 10.14.6 and Radeon RX 580 8 GB graphics.

Project settings are:

1080p Full HD @ 60 fps (1920 x 1080 pixels) all other are defaults settings.

Export Presets are:

YouTube 1080p HD (default)

As you can see, the width and height is a multiple of 2, but the problem persists!

Thank you for any help...

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,062 Moderator

@infometa While your export issue appears unrelated to the issues many users are having with black screens and such that is only affecting some machines and not others that very much rigorously tested the update in the home office, the only way for the devs to find the root cause of these issue is by getting as much info from those affected machines as possible since their machines will not replicate it. Don't misunderstand this is not a finger pointing questions, but data gathering questions.

Please consider connecting support at https://fxhome.com/support and give them the details listed in this thread plus any other relevant info you can think of regarding to issue:

https://community.fxhome.com/discussion/57390/support-posting-requirements-read-before-posting#latest

It's the only way it can be tracked down really.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,953 Ambassador

@infometa @tddavis @Aimee

Slight correction on mp4 encoding. It's not multiples of 2, but, depending on the the implementation (there's quite a few "sub-variants" of mp4), resolutions might need to be a multiple of 4, 8, or 16. I THINK Hitfilm wants multiples of 16 (this might be different in Pro vs Express. Express uses the OS encoder, Pro a third party library).

I'm going to tag @TheBenNorris for a sanity check.

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Website User Posts: 4,067 Enthusiast

>I THINK Hitfilm wants multiples of 16

1920x1080 is not a multiple of 16. Well, 1080 is not. A modulus of 2 is normally all that is required for encoder input with AVC/H.264 encoders.

How the encoder actually encodes, now that may be another matter. But that is encapsulated behind the encoder/decoder barrier. In other words, only an encoder/decoder developer need worry about the requirements. 1080 AVC video is one such animal.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,953 Ambassador

@NormanPCN thank you for the clarification. 👍

I seem to recall a user in the last year hitting an encode error over something divisible by 2. Maybe Hitfilm wants multiples of 8? That would work for 1080p. Again, I could be wrong, which is why I asked Ben.

I said it a couple weeks ago I'll say it again - good to have you back, Norman.

• infometa
    infometa Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*
    Nothing changes even if I set a multiple of 16. For example in the 3840 x 2160 format the error still occurs.