When i try to drag a clip into the timeline, hitfilm crashes.

Cahsew
Cahsew Website User Posts: 5 Just Starting Out*

I have tried to drag it to the timeline multiple times but it keeps crashing. It also has a loading symbol on it in the media panel so I waited for it to load and then it just became a "⚠". It worked fine on my other computer but this is all happening on my new computer which is not even 2 weeks old.

Tagged:

Answers

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,953 Ambassador

That "!" Symbol means you have a file Hitfilm can't read. Since it worked on your other PC I'll assume it's an HEVC video file. Microsoft removed the HEVC codec from Windows 10 in 2017. You'll have to buy the HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store for a dollar.

If the extension on the file is "MOV," then you'll need to install Quicktime for Windows.

On the other hand, Hitfilm shouldn't CRASH . You should list your specs and file type as detailed in this thread.

• Cahsew
    I was already using the HEVC Codec on my old computer. I just installed it and nothing happened.
    These are my specs:
    GPU: RTX 3080
    RAM: 2x32GB 3600Mhz
    CPU: i7-10700KF
    SSD: SAMSUNG 970 Evo 500GB (idk if that is the exact name)
  • Cahsew
    Just realized I forgot the OS. It's Windows 10.
  • Cahsew

Media info report:

Origin: screen recording

Frame rate mode: contant

Frame rate: 1080p 60fps

Codec: h264

• Cahsew
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,953 Ambassador

Can you provide the full text of the MediaInfo "Tree" report? There's a lot of lists of data there which might help.

On the surface, an h.264 encoded file shouldn't be giving the "!" icon (I really thought you'd have h.265). Constant Frame Rate... Well that eliminates VFR issues.

I don't THINK this is the issue, but it's always worth double checking GPU drivers. Old drivers can cause all kinds of issues, and Windows Update can actually revert drivers to old versions.

Also, if it's a new computer, make sure you run all Critical Windows Updates. The initial install tends to be an older build. Updates might help.

Is the computer Alienware or Dell? If so, try disabling Dell Backup. That has known conflicts with Hitfilm.

Consider temporarily disabling your anti-virus. There are a couple of anti-virus programs that conflict with Hitfilm.

If none of these work, that covers the easy fixes - you might have to contact Support.

Good luck! Hope one of these ideas works.