Video Footage Blinking

nyebuoi
nyebuoi Website User Posts: 3 Just Starting Out*
edited September 24 in HitFilm

I am editing a YouTube video and recently updated to the latest HitFilm version. The footage was filmed last September 4th and I've been editing since the previous version and am now experiencing a problem after updating to the latest version. The audio works fine though.

I screen-capped the MediaInfo report after doing research that VFR footage may have a problem. However, MediaInfo says the footage is CFR, thus I don't think that is the issue.

Downgrading doesn't seem to work either because I cannot open the project in a previous version. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PC Specs: Intel i5-10210U, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Integrated Intel Graphics Card

I attached a short portion of the footage that has the problem. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/815925130282401844/890952525421891604/help.mp4

Best Answer

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,059 Moderator
    edited September 25 Accepted Answer

@nyebuoi Sorry, that was just a suggestion of a possibility not really a recommendation. I apologize if it sounded that way. I was just trying to think of something to get you going again until any response from a support ticket could come back since it's now the weekend. I am fairly certain there is no way to convert your project back to an old version Sadly, contacting support is all I know to do at this juncture.

Answers

• tddavis

@nyebuoi That looks an awful lot (although much more rapidly) what my monitor does when updating my NVidia GPU. Since you mention it just started after the new upgrade, I am wondering if your video drivers might be out of date and the new version requires them more than your previous version. I have seen many tech savvy users caution that Microsoft can misreport whether they are up to date or not, and it's best to go to the manufacturer which I believe from your specs would Intel to see if there is a new one available. Hope that will solve your problem or someone m ore knowledgeable than I has better info.

• patricksands
    patricksands Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

The same exact thing was happening with my video edit. Never happened before. I updated all my drivers and it was still happening. I think this new update is broken. Now I'm having the issue of I go to export my video and it keeps closing itself during the export and I have to start all over again. No idea what's going on, and I can't downgrade to the last version because Hitfilm makes you uninstall the previous version everytime. Extremely annoying.

• tddavis
    edited September 24

@patricksands Yes, you can go back to an earlier version. You have to completely uninstall to downgrade, but with only a couple of exceptions when upgrading (even though it says to you don't really have to.) I installed the new 2021.2 upgrade yesterday and I did not. So far I haven't got to use it very much but I did open an old project to see that it worked. Here is the link for older versions:

This should take you to versions dating back to HF 9 or so:

HitFilm Express: Full List of Features & Specifications - FXhome

https://fxhome.com/product/hitfilm-express/updates

Explore the full list of all features and specifications included in HitFilm Express. Included are the revolutionary workflow and particle simulator.

Hope this helps with your issue.

• hirosupah
    hirosupah Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

I'm having the same issue. I was working on a project and after this update, my footage is doing the same thing

• tddavis

@hirosupah Since this is a recent release, I seriously doubt anyone on the Forum has experienced the issue to know what is going on. I think it might be best to raise a support ticket here:

Keep in mind though it is already well into Friday evening in the UK so a response may be delayed a bit. The only other thing would be to roll back to the last version that you were using with the link in an above post.

• nyebuoi
    @tddavis Hello! Thanks for your response.

My drivers are fully up to date, and looking at the responses, you suggested to downgrade Hitfilm versions. Unfortunately, the project I was working on cannot be opened in the previous versions because it has already been saved in the new version. I checked out the Auto-Save folder and there was nothing. Anything else I can do?
  • nyebuoi

@tddavis No problem. I'll do what I can. Thank you!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,935 Ambassador

@nyebuoi @hirosupah @patricksands I'm gonna recommend checking your GPU drivers again. Note you cannot trust Windows or your GPU software on this certain OEMs block GPU driver updates, only allowing the driver the OEM thinks is correct. You should always check the manufacturer's website I'll link a FAQ below.

@tddavis and I were among the Beta testers for HF 2021.2 and this issue didn't come up in testing, so I have to go with old GPU drivers as best-guess. Otherwise, the forum is limited in how much we can troubleshoot. You might need to contact Support. They have diagnostic tools we don't have. (Forum Mods/Ambassadors aren't FXhome Staff. We're volunteer users.)

GPU FAQ link and Support link.

• BertoBNF
    BertoBNF Website User Posts: 8 Just Starting Out*
    Also having this issue. Opened an old project with the new version and now the export has messed up frames. Wish I didn't upgrade. Looks like no one has an answer for this yet.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,935 Ambassador

@BertoBNF the other users in this thread are running the Windows 11 Beta. Hitfilm is NOT compatible with Win 11. If you're using Win 11 the recommendation from Hitfilm dev Ben Norris is to roll back to Windows 10.

• BertoBNF
    BertoBNF Website User Posts: 8 Just Starting Out*
  • Triem23

@BertoBNF ok, you have something else going on.

Fortunately for me, I'm not having this issue. Unfortunately that means I have no ideas on a solution.

• three
    three Website User Posts: 6 Just Starting Out*

If it's the same thing I'm experiencing, I'm pretty sure this is the same issue that's come up on a couple of other threads and I believe it's related to the new cache mechanism.

Version 2021.2 switched from RAM Preview to this new mechanism for background rendering and playback from cache. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like it's quite ready for prime time yet.

I first noticed symptoms after updating a media file externally: with playback stopped it was showing the correctly updated asset, but on hitting play, it was flickering back to the old (i.e. cached) content. Since then I've had countless problems with flickering and effectively all the playback being corrupted because it seems to be glitching in bits from all over the timeline, in the wrong order.

It's a major productivity killer right now, although I did find a partial sort-of-workaround-ish. If you go into your Project Settings and change the render mode (e.g. between 16 and 32 bit), that change will invalidate the existing cache. That buys you a little time before the background renderer kicks in and starts filling your cache again.

I'm in the middle of an urgent project with a deadline looming, so I'm having to switch render modes every few minutes to keep the project alive. Not great, but it's better than nothing.

PS: I don't have any drivers that need updating, and it's not related to a specific Windows version: I'm on a Mac.

• three
    three Website User Posts: 6 Just Starting Out*

Just found the new options that have been added in File->Options->Cache that allow you to purge the cache and/or disable background timeline cacheing. That'll have to be the workaround for now. Thanks also to @TheBenNorris for pointing these out.