Keyframing " Witness Protection " off and on?

hmoodyTH
hmoodyTH Website User Posts: 17 Just Starting Out*

I was experimenting a bit and out of the various tools i've used, Witness Protection. Is it possible to sort of, turn it on and off? Right now my only solution seems to be setting the size of it to 1px and hoping nobody notices it.

is it possible to place a transparent "Plane" Layer in the composite shot and use it to blur the lower layers of the actual videos?

Thanks.

Best Answer

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,009 Staff
    Accepted Answer

@hmoodyTH you're making a reasonable assumption with the "transparent" plane, as if the transparent plane itself is acting like "fogged glass", however, in video that is not how it works.

What you may want to do is add a grade layer above the layers you want to blur, and add the blur to the grade layer.

Answers

• hmoodyTH
  • FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,104 Ambassador

@hmoodyTH You can always simply move the whole effect off the screen.

• hmoodyTH

Thanks but as it turned out, i kind of forgot what was my original question when i wrote that. But now i do remember it, my original question was supposed to be "How do i get the Witness Protection effect to track?" and @TheBenNorris indirectly answered it lol.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,104 Ambassador

@hmoodyTH Several years ago (November, 2016) I made a video on that...

• hmoodyTH

That's ah, an odd video. According to the manual the point layer doesn't appear when exported so, how come the tracking worked?

• FilmSensei

@hmoodyTH A point layer exists simply to store information, but never is displayed in the final render. In this case, the information that the point is storing is the tracking data. By using the point layer to provide the position information, the witness protection effect knows where to put the pixelated section. The key to connecting them happens at the 3:40 mark of the video where under the witness protection effect, I select "Use Layer" and source the point.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,935 Ambassador

To expand on @FilmSensei a point (called a "null" in some software) only holds a set of data - position, rotation and scale.

There's a concept called "parenting," where a "child" layer is linked to a "parent" layer. A child follows a parent - so moving, rotating or scaling a parent layer moves, rotates, and/or scales the child relative to the parent. A child layer can have its own animation and be moved independently, but that's after following the parent.

As you've learned with Witness Protection many Hitfilm effects can have position parameters set to follow a point layer (or video, photo, plane, text, or 3D model layer).

The thing about points is they can be chained together - to create complex animation rigs - or multiple layers can be parented to a single point, video, photo, text, plane or model layer. This would allow you to, say, create a multi layered animation, parent everything to a single point, and move the entire thing by dragging a single point layer.

In many ways its better to animate layers by parenting to points.

So, in Sensei's video the tracking is applied to the point and the Witness protection center point is attached to the tracked point so it follows along.

If you were to look at tutorials on the FXhome channel, the Film Sensei channel, or any other tutorial channel you'll see points used often to link layers together for ease of animation.

• hmoodyTH

Thank you @Triem23 and thank you @FilmSensei. At this point i might as well show you the clip the brought this question to mind.

https://youtu.be/dmt8usHCtXk?t=110 Timestamp provided in link

Witness Protection appears a couple times but as you can see its hard to manage on a clip that has a whole lot of effects and is already cut up a bunch, so now with the knowledge on how to use the point layers this should make navigation and editing the WP effect around easier.

I edited an old clip of mine that way as a, proof of concept? Because i plan on making a short video in that style of "confidentiality". ان شاء الله.