Brand new user, software crashes immediately on start

insanity213
insanity213 Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Hey all, I wanted to paste some videos I shot together and found this software. Unfortunately it crashes immediately on startup with an extremely vague error "Encountered a problem and has to exit..." or something along those lines. This rig is only a few months old, Windows is otherwise rock solid. I saw some posts citing inadequate system specs leading to this, but I'm sure my box is up to the task...

Asus X570-Pro motherboard, Ryzen 9 5950x, Asus STRIX 3090 OC GPU, 128GB RAM.

My vBios, system BIOS, OS, Drivers, etc are all up to date. Just ran through all that last week to get resizable bar enabled.

Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,935 Ambassador

You are up to spec, so let's try a couple things.

First - GPU drivers. You can't trust Windows to correctly report GPU drivers - in fact, Windows Update can revert them! You can't trust GeForce Experience to report drivers - some OEMs actually block that (I have that issue on one of my own laptops). Always get GPU drivers from the Nvidia/AMD websites.

Old GPU drivers cause ridiculous amounts of errors. Hopefully that's it and a simple fix.

Next, if you happen to be on the Windows 11 Beta, Hitfilm isn't Win 11 compatible. In another thread with Win 11 users the advice from Hitfilm Dev Ben Norris was to revert to Win 10. No third party company can be held responsible for Win 11 errors at this point. Win 11 is in public Beta and Beta means "not done yet."

If it's not one of the those two, the next thing to look at is disabling your anti-virus. Some anti virus software conflicts with Hitfilm.

If THAT'S not it... Well, we'll think of something else. In that case it's most likely a conflict with other software or a driver conflict. For that you'll be better off contacting Support, as they have diagnostic tools we forum users don't.

• insanity213
    insanity213 Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Greetings Triem23 and thank you for your reply!

I'm sure I'm running the latest driver, GPU-Z Reports 471.96. Running Windows 10 with the latest updates and Windows Security Center, no 3rd party AV. Other than games and VMWare workstation, there's not much installed on this rig. Everything on this box is 100% legitimate software.

I've installed another video editor and it's running fine so I can do what I need to do, but the engineer in me wants to know why this product doesn't work. When I get some time maybe I'll reach out to support.

Thanks again for your reply, I appreciate it!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,935 Ambassador

Well, I'm out of ideas. SUpport? (Linked above)

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,009 Staff

@insanity213 are you using multiple monitors by any chance? if so please definitely contact support as they may have a fix for your issue.