Could not encode samples for frame 2 (Error 37)

wednesdei
wednesdei Posts: 7 Just Starting Out*

I created a project, and finished editing, but get this error when trying to export my project. I did a search of potential issues/fixes, and couldn't find anything other than ensuring that the frame rate of the project and clips, matches the export format, which it does.

I tried deleting the first video clip to see if the clip itself was the issue, but it gives the same error regardless of what's there.

Any ideas?

Answers

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,426 Ambassador

@wednesdei More information on the source video would be helpful. Please list a MediaInfo tree report on it. How to use that here. Chances are the video file is wonky and you'll wind up having to transcode to something more standard. If you don't already have it, get a copy of Handbrake. Try transcoding the video and see if that helps. How to use Handbrake here.

• DavidPorizka
    DavidPorizka Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*
    edited September 10

I have the same problem. But the source videos that I exported two weeks ago without any problems are also causing problems. The source videos are from Xiaomi POCO phone in H.264 encoding

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,095 Moderator

@DavidPorizka See the comment right above yours. Those links will apply to your issue as well since it is phone footage in all likelihood it is VFR (Variable) footage and will need to be transcoded to CFR (Constant.) Screen capture programs, phones and tablets usually fall on the side of VFR.

• DavidPorizka
    DavidPorizka Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

I think the problem is elsewhere. Two weeks ago I exported the source file from my phone without any problem. Today the same file cannot be exported. So the problem is not the source file.

• Stargazer54

@DavidPorizka So the problem is not the source file.

Anything from a phone (and other consumer devices) is VFR and is designed as a "delivery" codec. The tech involved keeps the file small and easy to share with others. It is NOT designed for non-linear editing. NLE's require Constant Frame Rate. The fact that you got a way with editing VFR proves nothing. If you are experiencing problems with VFR footage you need to transcode.

The obvious next question is what are your system specs?

• wednesdei
    All of my projects were produced the exact same way, and have exported no problem in the past. In fact, the previous projects that I've saved, no longer export as they produce this same error. If nothing in those old projects has changed, they should export as they have in the past, but they don't. If nothing in my previous projects has changed, they should export no problem, since they have before. The problem is they don't, and new projects don't work either.
  • Stargazer54

System specs?

I suspect you may be right on the edge performance wise and this can cause spurious errors to come and go. I imagine you've been lucky up to this point. Again, transcoding from VFR to CFR is highly recommended.

But without knowing your specs it is hard to run your issue to ground.

• niekhmans
    niekhmans Posts: 3 Just Starting Out*

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem, since a couple of days. It is possible to export to GoPro, but to none of the h264 codecs. No matter what video or project I try, I have tried several, from different sources.

Maybe it has to do with my recent upgrade to windows 11? My specs are the following:

• Windows 11 64 bit
    • Intel Core i7
    • 16GB RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    • Intel UHD Graphics 620
  • tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,095 Moderator
    edited September 15

@niekhmans That is entirely a possibility in your case since as far as I am aware Hitfilm has not been tested by the Devs for Win 11 compatibility, but I think I read something about it being a possibility in the very near future as I think new systems were in the process of being procured, but my recollection could be faulty..

Oh, and thanks for your specs. It will really help the tech gurus to narrow down things.

• RJMagoo
    RJMagoo Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

I have the exact same issue and it seems to be after the latest update to Windows 11. Are you on the Dev or Beta channel?

I'm on the dev channel which I think may be the problem.

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,030 Staff

Windows 11 is not currently supported by any version of HitFilm, if you are encountering issues we would be interested to hear them to assist us with moving to support the OS in the future, although we cannot offer any guaranteed solutions at this moment in time other than to downgrade to a supported operating system.

• niekhmans
    @tddavis Thanks for your reply, so it looks like I just have to wait.
    @RJMagoo I'm on the Dev channel as well
    @TheBenNorris Thanks, do you need more information then I mentioned above? Just let me know!
  • wratcher
    wratcher Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

I'm dealing with the same problem, unfortunately. However, this doesn't only happen when rendering imported media, I tried only rendering text and I encountered the same thing,

• niekhmans
    edited September 15

It looks the problem only exists when exporting it on a framerate below 60. When exporting it with a framerate of 60, everything is ok.

• RJMagoo
    RJMagoo Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*
    @niekhmans what other settings are you using to get this to work as I have tried to set this to 60fps for exporting but I am still getting the same error?
  • wednesdei
    edited September 20

Here are my system specs. I have been running windows 11 for weeks and making videos with no problem. It only broke when I was prompted to download and install the latest version of hitfilm. After doing that, I can't export videos anymore. I am running version 2021.1(16.1.11208.7204). The last video I published was on August 31, 2021, so that version of hitfilm worked on windows 11. Can anyone link a download to the last stable version?

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 9/19/2021, 21:00:45

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit (10.0, Build 22458) (22458.rs_prerelease.210910-1430)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: Z390 AORUS ULTRA

BIOS: F10h (type: UEFI)

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz (16 CPUs), ~3.6GHz

Memory: 32768MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 32698MB RAM

Page File: 13252MB used, 24310MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)

System DPI Setting: 288 DPI (300 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Enabled

Miracast: Available, no HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported

DirectX Database Version: 1.2.2

DxDiag Version: 10.00.22458.1000 64bit Unicode

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080

Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Chip type: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080

• wednesdei

@niekhmans was right, I can export using 60FPS, everything else doesn't work.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,065 Ambassador

@wednesdei @RJMagoo @wratcher @niekhmans as a Moderator/Ambassador, I do my best to help users with as many issues as possible, but, first, Mods/Ambassadors are not FXhome employees or developers, secondly, here, I can only say....

• You are running a Beta version of an Operating System that hasn't been released yet.
    • "Beta" means "it doesn't work yet, and we want you to find all the stuff that's broken."
    • You have already been told by a Hitfilm developer that no version of Hitfilm supports Windows 11.
    • Wednesdei, you cannot ask for a "stable version" of Hitfilm to run on your broken, incomplete version of Windows when you've already been told by a dev no released version of Hitfilm supports the broken, incomplete version of an operating system that isn't ready for release.
    • The fault lies somewhere in a change made in the broken, incomplete, unsupported OS you are running.
    • Wednesdei, again, the last version of Hitfilm released was April, 2021. This was a bugfix release relating to an upgrade in the Boris and Mocha plug ins. Exactly how long have you been ignoring the update messages? The prior version was March, 2021 and related to updating the version numbers of the Boris/Mocha plug ins. The release before THAT was December, 2020.
    • To repeat, it is NOT the fault of FXhome that Hitfilm does not run on a broken, incomplete version of an Operating System that an FXhome programmer has already told you is unsupported.
    • There is nothing that any other user on this forum can do to help you with the issues you are having. FXhome support cannot offer you any assistance with the problems you are having. You are running an unsupported, incomplete OS.

That said, final points. Information about what does or does not work at the moment can/should be posted as they may be useful for the devs as programmer TheBenNorris said, "in the future." However, once again, we can't offer fixes, because you're running a broken, incomplete, unsupported OS. Perhaps between yourselves you can figure out a few things, if lucky, that can help each other and provide useful information for the devs.

Please note that Hitfilm Express uses the encoders built into the Operating System. You're having issues with h.264? Well, perhaps the broken, incomplete, unsupported OS is missing codecs at the moment?

All versions of Hitfilm Express back to version 9 can be downloaded here. Note that when reverting to earlier versions of Hitfilm you need to do a complete uninstall before installing the earlier version.

@DavidPorizka yes, the problem can absolutely be with your source file. As tddavis said, your phone footage (and this applies to ALL smartphones and tablets) record in a Variable Frame Rate (VFR). This means the speed of your video is constantly changing. If you THINK your phone is recording at 30 fps, it's actually doing something like "30, 32, 28, 30, 29, 30, 24, 31, 20." Yes, a VFR file can go faster than it's supposed to. Hitfilm, and every other NLE needs to work at a consistent clock speed where 30=30. With VFR footage Hitfilm is trying to figure out on the fly how and where to duplicate and drop frames to "fake" a Constant Frame Rate (CFR) of 30.

Note I've shot footage on a phone that's varied between 10 and 32 fps (when it's supposed to be 29.97), and we had a user this year with VFR footage varying between 0.5 and 32fps. Understand, again, that Hitfilm is having to take this footage and figure out how fit 32 frames into a 30fps Timeline then figure out how to fit 26 frames into a 30 frame Timeline, over and over. Stargazer54, in his first comment in this thread gave you links to MediaInfo to confirm how variable your VFR footage is, as well as links to Handbrake to convert your VFR to CFR and links to tutorials for both programs. You should follow his advice. You didn't answer the question about specs, so, again, for the moment that's the only thing we can suggest. Knowing your specs, CPU, GPU, OS, RAM and Storage is information needed to try to figure out other possible issues.

@philipwesson I'm tagging you in as a sanity check to make certain I'm not over the line on this post. @Film_Empire@Stargazer54

• wednesdei

Wow, you are extremely rude and condescending.

• Stargazer54
    edited September 20

@wednesdei Your question was answered with a good deal of extra detail about why you are having issues. The bottom line is Win 11 is unsupported. Your choices are to either fall back to Win 10 or perhaps find an earlier version of HF that "might" work with Win 11. But again this is unsupported, as well. @Triem23 did not sugarcoat this, but rather tried to explain the problem with your setup so that all bases were covered. Sorry that wasn't the answer you were hoping for, but technically you can't run HF under Win11 at this time.

Again, moderators are not staff. You would be best served by dealing with FXHome support directly- https://fxhome.com/questions/submit. I think you now know about as much as we (moderators) do about the current state of the software. Only support staff can speak to this further.