Has anyone else received this very unusual error?

FilmSensei
FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,104 Ambassador
  • GL_INVALID_OPERATION - The specified operation is not allowed in the current state.
  • The offending command is ignored and has no other side effect than to set the error flag.

I ran across this error in HitFilm Pro Version 2021.1 (16.1.11208.7204)

My computer specs are as follows:

• OS Name - Windows 10 Pro
  • Processor - AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Eight-Core Processor, 3700 Mhz, 8 Cores, 16 Logical Processors
  • Total Physical Memory - 16.0 GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB of Memory

This is a very unusual error... one that I have never seen before. I was attempting to render a model intensive project file when this error occurred. HitFilm would not let me render it, instead erroring out. I then ran it again, and I was able to render the file the second time without incident.

I often run into this error while building the project...

...and I did a quite often during this project, but that happens fairly regularly when I push a project too far, so there is that.

Has anyone else ever seen that "Offending command" statement? Any ideas on what happened there?

Answers

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,321 Ambassador

@FilmSensei If it is an OpenGL error then that's got something to do with the GPU. I assume you've updated drivers?

If that is all current, then try uninstalling & re-installing HF (although I doubt that will fix it). When you say "model intensive" I assume 3D model(s)? Could be something wonky with a texture map and UV's. Or a geometry error on one of the models?

Might try the same model with no textures and or turn off the models one at a time and try the render then to see which one has issues.

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,591 Enthusiast
    edited September 9

I've ran into both of those errors a half dozen times J. It happens if I load up too many models in Element 3D and then add motion blur and AO to the render output

If I recall a reboot or clearing plugin cache usually takes care of it... but not always. And yes...sometimes I just try and re-render and everything is fine. Baffling.

I dont think it has anything to do with GPU drivers or installs. I'm of the mindset that there is something askew inside the render engine but it doesn't show up all the time nor do I get a crash/log report so I cant nail down whats happening. I also get that error if I use a model as an emitter inside Trapcode. I'm thinking some type or memory leak but no way to test that theory.

Question: When working the scene does it take awhile for Hitfilm viewer to "draw" the scene? Scrolling blue bar...

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,934 Ambassador

I've seen that error a couple of times. Usually I end up removing an element or seeing of there's anything I can convert to an embedded comp to prerender.

Error codes are only useful to the devs and support team who have the list of codes and their meanings, but I feel like this error relates to maxing out GPU resources? Remember, by default the Viewer isn't anti-aliased, while renders always do. Renders use more resources than a typical Viewer render.

Even what @GrayMotion is saying supports my hypotheses - if loading in tons of models or using models in Trapcode (resource intensive particle cloning) with projects where the screen takes a long time to update.... All indicates heavy GPU usage, then, on the render, here comes the addition anti-aliasing and... Choke!

The times I've seen that error have also involved heavy model/particle use, as well.

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,009 Staff

After talking to the other devs apparently it seems like this could indeed be due to maxing out your resources. It may be worthwhile sending the project to support if possible to see if they can reproduce it and identify the issue.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,104 Ambassador

Thanks for your answers everyone. There is no doubt that I definitely was pushing the GPU and maxing out my resources. I had several models, smoke particles, and lights in place. Actually, triggering the OpenGL error happens to me all the time! 😀

The question I was most interested in involves this statement...

"The offending command is ignored and has no other side effect than to set the error flag."

I've never seen that before. It's seems like HitFilm triggered an error, but then was like... Hey, no big deal. We're just going to ignore it because the only side effect was that the error flag was set!

I have never seen that before, and I found it somewhat amusing!

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,591 Enthusiast

Makes sense @Triem23 but it just seems a little bit weird. I'm not building near as intense scenes as I did a year ago. I cant recall the version I was using....musta been 15? but I never ran into the particular error in the past.

This BB8 video has a lot going on it it: (Last year)

While these 2 (side-by-sides) are pretty simple but caused "great pain". I posted this yesterday to my thread but deleted it because I was not clear in my post how to describe the camera following issue. (You can see it when the camera is following the car...car is lunging)

But I get what you're saying. I might port the project to the 2021 iMac with a AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT w/16GB and see if the error pops up there. Thats double my GTX 1070. I shouldn't be-able tp puke that machine..I wouldn't think.

Thanks

• FilmSensei

It happened to me again this morning. Since HitFilm said the error didn't matter and it would ignore it, I simply duplicated the render and ran it again. The second time it ran no problem! Lol! 😁