Star Trek Podcast Opening - feedback please!

Radionotme
Radionotme Website User Posts: 23 Just Starting Out*

I've been working on an intro for a friend for a potential podcast he's hoping to start doing, quite happy with what I've got so far, but would love any feedback or pointers to improve it from you talented lot!

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,018 Moderator
  • FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,067 Ambassador
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,824 Ambassador

Everything times out well, you have a nice "bounce" on the words. I haven't seen "Lower Decks," so I don't know how well your transporter animation matches with the show, but it's a good style that meshes with your cartoon avatar.

If I had to give a note I might speed up the motion on the star field a little bit and maybe add another layer or two of stars to get that parallax motion Trek loves.

Since your main BG plate is a photo image, how could we add more stars without covering that image? No problem, other star layers could be luma keyed or Demulted to knock out black, or comped in ADD mode.

Just for reference, here's a whole slew of procedural ways to create stars and nebulae in Hitfilm. Some work in Express with no add ons, some require add-ons.

• Radionotme

Oh nice, thanks so much! I'm using Pro, so should be able to achieve those, that's great.

Yes, the effect is supposed to look fairly series accurate, see the image below.

• mdjviper
    mdjviper Website User Posts: 8 Just Starting Out*

The overall production is good. The timing on your elements is good. There is good bounce to your words. I agree with Triem23 that the stars feel a little slow. I also felt like the title is intended to be timed with the ramping up of the music, but it doesn't quite get the punch. Maybe adjusting the volume at that moment would help? The feel at the end when the person beams in is much stronger and gives the right feeling.

Overall, its a great intro. Not too flashy, but gives hope to the quality of the production. Thumbs up.👍️🖖

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,113 Ambassador

I like it, but #confused how is he going to use it for a podcast? Aren't they audio only. (Grin)

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,824 Ambassador

@Andy001z ah, the term has mutated. "Podcast" was always a stupid pun (if it's not distributed via Apple Music to an iPod, it's "not a 'podcast.'"), anyways. YouTube has tons of "podcasts."

But, the culture has embraced the silly term, instead of using the original (and accurate) terms "broadcast," or "web stream."

Much like "weblog..." someone jokingly re-parsed the word to "we blog," and suddenly we have a new word for "article."

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,113 Ambassador

Psst @Triem23 I know, hence my little grin. Was just feeling like a stupid comment. And it was.

• Radionotme

Just like the floppy disc 'save' icon, I suspect the podcast moniker will long outlive the memories of actual iPods.

I think the only other company is Nintendo (first with the DS and now with the Switch) that's managed to kill off their own hugely successful brand, with a replacement brand.

• Radionotme

Improved version with Hitfilm generated nebulae and starfield. I'll still probably play around with the movement and density, but already looks a thousand times clearer/crisper than the original, thank you.

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,067 Ambassador

@Radionotme That is much improved. You might look at randomizing the timing of the swirls in the transport rather than have them all circle together. Looking good though regardless!

• Andy001z
  • RikVargard
    RikVargard Website User Posts: 117 Enthusiast

Looking great! I would put everything a little more to the left and up :p

• inservo
    inservo Website User Posts: 4 Just Starting Out*

loved the first one already but the second one is even better. Would be really interested to listen to your show.