American Mary - Almost a good movie

MichaelJames
MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast

So IGN created a list of 15 horror movies that you probably never saw last week.  I watched a movie in the middle of that list called AMerican Mary and it is ALMOST a good movie in the first half but then the second half goes to crap.  Honestly if they would of just cut it and released it as a short film, it probably would of done very well.    The plot goes very wonky and the story just limps on.

Comments

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out

Agreed. Its a great concept and it starts out strong, but then it just kinda fizzles at the end. I enjoyed it though. Its in the upper levels of the "netflix horror stable". Which is what I call the legion of low budget horror movies that netflix has been adding to its roster. Most of it is garbage, but there are a few gems.  I really liked "The Taking of Deborah Logan", which they added recently. Its surprisingly good. 

• MichaelJames

The concept with American Mary was great... they just don't know story structure.  So the movie just drifts terribly so.   There was nothing cheap about how that movie looks for feels.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,974 Ambassador

I'm fine with the thumbnail... 

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,069 Staff

Whoa - the Taking of Deborah Logan looks absolutely terrifying to me 0.o
    I wrote a piece a long time ago about a character who thought she had altzeimers but it was actually some kind of possession. If this is on NetFlix it's definitely on my to-watch list now!

Again, American Mary actually also looks really good (from the trailer). I'm disappointed to hear that the plot wheedles away, but might just watch it anyway. Thanks for this Michael - these are right up my horror street! :)

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out

American Mary is worth watching. Its still good even though it fizzles a bit. For me, I wanted the story to move in the direction that was setup in act 1. Unfortunatly, it takes a different path in the second half. 

(By the way, is there still a "spoiler invisible text mode" on this forum?)

• duffman
    duffman Website User Posts: 235 Enthusiast

Finally had a chance to watch this. What a great dark comedy.  Had me laughin.  One scene praticualarly tickled me. Without being a spoiler its a scene where Lance buys Mary a bite to eat and a vanilla milkshake and tells her a story......

Duff

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,069 Staff

@NullUnit - there isn't still a "spoiler invisible text mode" on the new forums (but stick in a bold title and people should be able to avoid it)

• MichaelJames

Lol or just don't post spoilers unless the movie is a couple years old.  At this point I can spoil the Matrix.

• AyushChandra
    AyushChandra Website User Posts: 1

Hasn't watched it yet but the trailer looks promising. It looks like; maybe the film is on a strong concept but it's just not enough to make it worthy. A valuable film should have an engaging screenplay and characters that make a bond with audience till the end, and I guess if "American Mary" didn't made it in the second half than it lacks the both I just mentioned.  A similar film I remember with a good subject but weak filmmaking is "When a Stranger Calls (2006)".  There is not much scope in Horror to modify it each time, so it should have extra stuff that entertains. I am planning to watch Queen of Earth this weekend, just hoping that it will not disappoint me.