Incredible Sci-Fi Series Made on Blender & Composited in AE

Hictor
Hictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 377 Enthusiast

Comments

• Andy001z
    Andy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,113 Ambassador

Indeed, saw this awhile ago, just amazing. He's been working in it for some time. The BTS is cool.

• philipwesson
    philipwesson Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 368 Staff

Here's an episode of VFX Artists react, where Ian Hubert came on and talked about this work:

• bitcohen
    bitcohen Website User Posts: 11 Just Starting Out*
    edited September 2

I watched it. I found the special effects really mindblowing. Playing with Blender myself, one really gets to appreciate how much work goes into such an undertaking. The world that Ian Hubert has created is very rich and detailed. A dystopia cyberpunk future - one that I certainly wouldn't like to live in. I felt that the script did need a bit of polishing up. That's something that can be worked on.

Overall, a really great effort. I look forward to seeing more of this.

• ScottyBros
    ScottyBros Website User Posts: 35 Enthusiast

Yeah, this level is way beyond what any other amateurs are doing because Ian Hubert is very talented.

• Hictor
    Hictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 377 Enthusiast

To loosely paraphrase what he was saying in his World Building presentation, Ian Hubert is all about "World Building."

LIke he takes his time when he's out and about to memorize the sense of smell of the atmosphere, the look of the texture and lighting and he just makes references out of all these nuances to build his world.

Thats what he tries to teach his students whenever they think you can do all of this by "pressing the right buttons"

There's a difference between knowing the technicalities behind the art and being conscious about what more you can do to make art imitate life.

That's Ian's special sauce. That's every artist's special sauce.

• philipwesson
    philipwesson Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 368 Staff

That's Ian's special sauce. That's every artist's special sauce.

I couldn't have put it better myself.