Announcing HitFilm 3 Pro

SimonKJones
SimonKJones ModeratorWebsite User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
edited October 2014 in Practical Filmmaking

HitFilm 3 Pro arrives end of November for $299.
Pre-order now to get special offers and additional upgrade discounts.

A month or two back I was writing the 'What's New?' page for the upcoming HitFilm 3 Pro website. As the page grew longer and longer, detailing feature after feature, vastly overtaking the equivalent HitFilm 2 webpage, I thought: yeah, this is a good oneRead more...

This is a comment topic for a blog post.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,963 Ambassador
    edited October 2014

Excuse me--I need a towel.

(Side Note: Just saying here that I've been publicly speculating all year two things about Hitfilm 3--first, that it would be announced in the last week of November, Second, OFX compatibility-plug-ins. Some days, I love being right.)

Seriously, I need a towel--these announced features pretty much killed every bitch and compaint that's come up in the forums this year.... Also makes me glad I held off on some of those tutorials I was planning as I had a feeling HF3 would make a couple of these workarounds obsolete...

Simon, I owe you all coffee.

*Runs off to preorder.

*EDIT* Preorder complete---I claim FIRSTIES, mo-fos!

• XDestruction
    XDestruction Website User Posts: 21

Sounds like a huge step forward for hitfilm. Can't wait for the new camera projection, atomic shapes, the overhaul of the particle simulator engine and the other tons of  new and refined content. Also for such a low price. 

Well done to all at hitfilm!

• IamJoshuaDavies
    IamJoshuaDavies Staff Administrator Posts: 359 Staff

So happy we can start to tell you about HitFilm 3 Pro and the plans we have going forward. Thank you for the kind comments and your support.

• Robin
    Robin Website User Posts: 1,671 Enthusiast

This is so freaking awesome. So much new stuff, although I have a slight feeling I am getting way too excited over the curves feature Seems like I picked just the right time to try and jump back into the community again :D

• Prospero
    Prospero Website User Posts: 127

So what range of graphics cards will we need to be using with the upgrades?

• VikingFilm65
    VikingFilm65 Website User Posts: 261

This looks like a great UPDATE . I will definitly upgrade!

I havent used HF Ultimate 2 as much as i hoped to. Mostly because of two small toddlers in the home, and other responsobilities, but as a long time supporter of FXHome, and HitFilm, I will upgrade! And I think I will be able to use HitFilm 3 PRO more, as it will be easier for me to get the things done that i want, without spending too much time doing it. I wish i had more time to play around with compositing, maybe now, it will be more easier and more compelling to do it! Cheers, for the development team for the work they have put down into this update!  :) 

• IamJoshuaDavies
    edited October 2014

The requirements are shifting upwards, but only a little. :)

From our current list we're dropping the Intel HD 3000, the 2005-06 Nvidia GeForce 7/8 family and some of the older Radeon cards which are no longer supported by AMD.

HitFilm 3, like HitFilm 2, operates faster if you have a beastly GPU, but I run it just fine on my MacBook Air with an Intel HD 5000 which is about as low-end as GPUs get these days.

• XeltyrPrinceofdreams
    XeltyrPrinceofdreams Website User Posts: 12 Just Starting Out

Looks great!! Especially object removal, mask tracking, and faster workflow! What special benefits do we get if we pre order?? (Upgrade)

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,963 Ambassador
    edited October 2014

The slightly edited for content version of my post on Facebook:

"(Tagged people X,Y,Z,U and V) The good people at FxHome are not [playing] around when it comes to trying to make Hitfilm a viable option in the professional post-production world. Check out the new features announced for Hitfilm 3, which they've managed to make $100 less than Hitfilm 2, and includes those OFX plug-ins for Vegas, Avid, FCP, Premiere, etc, that I know a couple of you were thinking about. This is a helluva upgrade! (links to blog)"

• AbidalASarraj
    AbidalASarraj Website User Posts: 63

I did some work with Hitfilm 2 U VFX & Video Editing,  I was really eager for mac os version so I did contribute to kickstarter campaigne (that's the last time I saw my pc), I loved most the features specially the 3d importer and the particle system But, to be honest with the renderer and the playback freazes and slooow workflow I couldn't continue :( I was hoping that you guys will do an update that it can fixes that issue but nothing came.
    I want to be able to make fx and edit video at the same time with much more speed and efficiency just like my current workflow (after effects > premiere > photoshop) Dose Hitfilm 3 Pro support that kind of flow and easiness?
    Before I do an upgrade I'll have to try it out I already have 2 HF2U licenses I cann't use!

My Regards

• NovianLeVan
    NovianLeVan Website User Posts: 49

Holy, just wow!!! Great work! Question though, will there be XML support in HitFilm 3 Pro or possibly in a future feature update? I think this would be a great time to add it due to the new release and the fact that HitFilm has been on Mac for almost a year.

• Lars_H
    Lars_H Website User Posts: 78 Enthusiast

"If you own HitFilm Plugins, you’ll get HitFilm 3 Pro for free"

I bought the plugin a month ago, does that count?

Lars H

• laskop64
    laskop64 Website User Posts: 16
    edited October 2014

Looks nice so far but I refuse to preorder something I don't know full details about.  Still concerned about the availability support for audio VST plugins such as Waves for polishing audio and adding effects and stuff, and font support.  A lot of my Google SkyFonts\OpenType fonts don't work in 2 Ultimate.  Will wait for a full feature list and a demo if they're planning one before I go upgrading.

• luxgud
    luxgud Website User Posts: 128

Looks great, well done FXHome !

Shall be pre-ordering soon

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

@Triem23 - 3D textures for particles makes some of those shots of yours a bit easier, eh? :) Thanks for the kind Facebook post, too. As always, we really appreciate all efforts to Get The Word Out.

@XDestruction - thanks. :) Several of the new features are super flexible and we're only really scratching the surface here in the office. I can't wait to see what the likes of Null Unit do with the new atomic particles, for example.

@Robin - welcome back. :D

@VikingFilm65 - aaah, the toddler issue. Just think how much fun you'll have when they're a bit older and want to help out, though. :)

@Princeofdreams - check the bottom of the blog post for details on pre-ordering. The mocha mask tracking is pretty great - everyone knows how good mocha's planar tracking is, obviously, so being able to make more use of those in HitFilm is a great, great thing (especially considering the new price).

@AbidalASarraj - there'll be a full demo so you can check out your specific requirements at launch and check performance on your setup. Performance is definitely improved - specifics will vary depending on hardware and what you're doing, as always.

@BlindFireStudios - no XML at launch, but it's on the wishlist. No specific news on that at this point.

@Lars_H - it does indeed. :)

@laskop64 - there'll be a full demo at launch.

• AbidalASarraj
    AbidalASarraj Website User Posts: 63

SimonKJones Thank you for your responce ..

Here is my latest addition, the new Mac Pro & Specs:

3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5
    16 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 ECC
    AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

Regards

• Triem23

@Simon the whole 3D particle cheat was shaping up to be a SERIES of tutorials, so I didn't have to go through basics of everything you had to do to set up a cut n' paste system... Yes, this makes things easier. Including my Star Trek shots. You haven't seen the asteroid belt for that environment. 

• LMGFILMS
    LMGFILMS Website User Posts: 1

Are you guys gonna make a kickass trailer for Hitfilm 3 pro and can you upgrade for £150 after release? Also what are the reccomended PC requirements? Thanks :) 

• rgbii
    rgbii Website User Posts: 965 Just Starting Out

Lots of fun new stuff to play with!   Can't wait :)

Especially interested in getting masks from Mocha over to it.

Oh, and curves :)

• DreamArchitect
    DreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast

I'm a little concerned about the system requirements. Will a Radeon mobility 5000 series work with hitfilm 3?

• IamJoshuaDavies
    edited October 2014

We still intend to support the Radeon 5XXX and above (while AMD still support those cards). I hope that helps.

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,728 Ambassador
    edited October 2014

Hey- a company that listens to its patrons! How awesome is THAT?!?!?!?!

Looks great, FXhome team! You've made being an indie film maker so much fun over the years and allowed me to do things I never would have dreamed possible.

Keep up the most excellent work!!!

• SimonKJones

@LMGFILMS - there'll still upgrade discounts after release, but we're doing some extra discount during the pre-order period. We've got some cool new media for HF3, with a different direction compared to how we promoted HF2. More details on that later. :)

• DreamArchitect

Well yes it helps a lot as if you didn't upgrading would have been impossible. Can't afford to update my laptop as well. Thanks Joshua. Pre order it is then

• Toonman
    Toonman Website User Posts: 81

One of the gripes I've had with HF2 (and a reason I haven't used much since it came out) is on the rendering/export side of things. HF has always been VERY limited in this regard (3 AVI codecs + uncompressed, H.264, and image sequences). I need to be able to export movies in any codec installed on my machine (I use mainly ProRes) with total control over the compression amounts. Does HF3 address any of these limitations? The press release mentions nothing about it.

Also, will we have a window where we could download a demo BEFORE pre-ordering? I know it's contradictory (the demo would come once the software is released, so pre-orders would be over), but I just want to know which options I have. I haven't used HF2 due to many limitations I've stumbled on, and I just want to see how many of these are non-issues in HF3.

Thanks for any comments!

• OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478

$299 ..... upgrade for $169, holy geez it's no longer a quiet day in the office, fan-freaking-tastic!

OMG that editor looks....... soooo nice!  I absolutely love the look of that GUI and I was already a fan of it from HF -> HF2U 

QUESTION!!!  In that shot of the city with the low level ground fog hugging the buildings, are the buildings just particles using a texture and interacting with another particle field ( the fog ).  Are you using planes as deflectors or are the particles interacting based on geometry of the textures???  Or are these using the actual 3D models which are interacting with a particle field based fog?  

Oh common!  "Fleet of ships ..... asteroid fields ...." man.... SO FREAKING EXCITED.  I want to see a real time setup and working ability of that shot.... Dusting off the debris field concept art >.<!!!!!!

Atomic Particle Shapes .... this is fanastic, no more having to render a wireframe model from Blender and bring it back in!!!  Very curious to see how much power this requires to continue working with that shot in real time.  

Mask Tracking from Mocha.... this is money....  super excited 

Auto-volumetrics - excuse me while I wipe the drool off my keyboard. 

Camera Projection - Proxy - OpenFX - Unified Workspace!!!! 

BEST MONDAY EVER!! 

• SimonKJones

@Toonman - you can export ProRes from the Mac version (you can do this in HF2 as well). Quicktime limitations on Windows are due to Apple's lack of support on the platform (eg Quicktime being 32-bit only on PC).

We've improved the export screen considerably for HF3 as well as adding the 16-bit OpenEXR in/out pipeline. We're intending to add additional export formats in a free post-release update, so that's an on-going thing.

It's not possible to do a demo before release, for the reasons you state, but we are planning to put out more information on the blog and other channels before release.

• DreamArchitect

I too am very excited about this. A lot of stuff in there I could really use right now. I have a project to do that is time critical and I will need to start in hf2u. Will I be able to import the project into hf3p?

• HitFilmer10271
    HitFilmer10271 Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out

Just ordered it, but I would love to know what "just around the corner" translates to in time.

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff

@HitFilmer10271 - It translates to late November.