After a week, still can't get Hitfilm Express to open up.

littlehausbigcity
littlehausbigcity Website User Posts: 45 Just Starting Out*
I had posted a post last week titled, Need help with Hitfilm in reinstalling and/or fixing and have tried several fixes/repairs, a reinstall or three and after some replies, I did some looking and found that I had C++ 2005, 2010, 2012, but nothing after that and this morning finally was able to get into Microsoft but their chat was not working and I was able to re-establish with them via email and got the proper C++ 2015-2019 VCruntime410.dll file(s) to download and then tried to get Hitfilm to load, only to find out my graphics driver for an older Nvidia Geforce 610 was out of date, so tried to update that from Nvidia directly and still no joy, even when I got the license key from my profile and was able to redownload the installer, no joy.

Still can't open and just says, sorry, can't open, if you want to upload the logs dialog box comes up.

This PC is running Windows 10 Pro with an older Nvidia 610GT graphics card that seems to work and 16GB of RAM. The card itself has 1GB of memory and is fine since I'm not using 4K footage at this point, only 1080P as that's the lowest my cameras can do anyway.

Any other suggestions?

John

Comments

• littlehausbigcity

Hello, last Thursday I had to download Hitfilm express due to issues with an old Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 not able to get fixed with my DVD instsaller disk as it'll go to preparing to install and then not go any further and a quick research netted HitFilm Express for free and gave it a go and liked it but now, I can't get it to load up as apparently, I have a VCRuntime140.dll file missing?

I know Firefox has it and it would not work for a while today right, tabs open, but it won't load anything, now it seems to be fine but HitExpress still a no go, this is running on Windows 10 Pro and I only have an image of the OS as it's an OEM image on a rebuild Dell Optiplex PC I bought in 2019, with no restore point.

I did move it to a larger capacity drive over the summer and everything came across just fine using Macrium to do the deed.

Other than replacing the DLL file, but where should it go? Do I need to install it somewhere like Firefox or what. I even tried to repair HitFilm with the installer in my downloads and it can't seem to fix it, and now, I can't even get the download to work to see if I need a new installer or what else you have to suggest even if just to point me in a direction to go would be helpful.

Thanks.

John.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,271 Moderator

What are your system specs? CPU, GPU, RAM?

If you’re having issues elsewhere on your computer, you may need to do a repair/reset of Windows itself.

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,013 Staff

Re-downloading the installer is worth trying first if possible, as this should fix any issues that may have occurred from downloading.

However, if firefox is also experiencing similar issues then the problem may be elsewhere, there could be another program that is messing with the dll.

If the first recommendation does not work, please contact our support team directly in case no one else here has any solution: www.fxhome.com/ask

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,969 Ambassador

VCRuntime140.dll is a Microsoft file and a component of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015/2017/2019

You should, in Windows, go into the Add/Remove Program/App dialog and see if there is an option to "Repair" your Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables, else, redownload and re-install from Microsoft.

• littlehausbigcity
    TriforceFX.

To answer your question. I run a Core I5 (4570) CPU on a Dell Optiplex 9020 SFF PC that I picked up in 2019, refurbished with Windows 10 Pro. It's an OEM image, so no disks, but I replaced the SSD with a larger capacity one (from 120GB to a 500GB over the summer and used Macrium to reimage).

I realized this morning that I could have written this whole initial post much better.

Memory is 16GB, the graphics card is the Invidia GForce 610GT from 2015 with a Gig of memory, the bare minimum Hitfilm needs for that. It ran great up until I could not get it to open. I do have the Display port, but not the correct cable and have moved the display choice in the BIOS to Invidia and not automatic, but not sure if that is at issue or not. Graphics card seems to work fine elsewhere.

I did get Firefox (and no other browser had this issue) to work where it would open, show all tabs, but not open any of them. Now it's fine and part of that was a reinstall was what I think ultimately did it, though it didn't seem to work at first. Since then, I have run Adaware (finished that this morning), ran Spybot, then downloaded and ran CCleaner, but no joy as far as Hitfilms is concerned. I can't even down a fresh installer now from you all. I click but it just disappears.

Once running, it's great.
  • littlehausbigcity
    thebennorris,

I tried that, downloading but it's not downloading now, when I click on the link, it just disappears. Even Firefox's new downloader icon won't activate to show it's downloading. I had a failed download initially as I accidentally canceled before it finished, then redownloaded it, and was able to install, and it's that EXE file I was using to make multiple attempts to repair, even after cleaning out the PC but no joy.

Firefox is now working fine (accessing this forum with it) so that is an improvement.

I have not tried other programs to see if they work still or know who all uses this DLL file or not.I know some of these DLL (dynamic Link Library) files reside on some programs, like the Amblib.dll that many programs in the Adobe creative Suite use and reside with many programs. It's my license as to use any of the programs that need it, I need to copy and replace the DLL file itself with this new one, then I can run the program. It's worked great since I first installed it in 2009.

Anyway, that is what I need to know, where is this file and then put it back if it's truly gone and not just hidden from programs.
  • littlehausbigcity
    Triem23,

Thanks, will go in the add/remove app in Windows and see if the option to repair is there. If not, then I will get the product key and contact Microsoft and ask where should I park it (Visual C++?) and plunk it there if need to. I may also inquire about downloading a back up clean image of 10 to have for recovery work or to reinstall later if it becomes necessary on this computer.

Eventually, I'll order a retail copy when I build a new and more powerful PC down the road.
  • littlehausbigcity
    Triem23

My image of Windows 10 Pro only shows in the add/remove etc app, Visual C++ 2012, and goes back to 2005. (along with 2010 and 2012) redistributable for both X86 and X64. The build is 19043.1165, Ver: 21H1 and installed in 11/19/20, but the initial install was back in 2019 when the place that refurbed my PC before I purchased it was in 2019.

BTW, not looked to see if it has a repair option yet as I don't know which version of C++ to fix.
  • littlehausbigcity
    Triem23,

Just looked and Modify is only available for the 2012 version of C++ but not done anything as not sure if that's what I need to modify.
  • tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,063 Moderator

@littlehausbigcity I merged your previous inquiry into your new heading since it sounded like you might have lost track of it.

• littlehausbigcity
    Thanks, though I figured since I'd not heard anything from the previous post that a fresh one might suffice to resume with how to solve this issue.
  • littlehausbigcity
    I saw there was a patch for Hitfilm express and did the uninstall and installed the new patch and then restarted the PC, no joy.

Help!
    John
  • littlehausbigcity
    After the patch, I did try again, and now it says I appear to not have a compatible graphics card, yet, it works but the drivers when I open them up in apps the modify and uninstall are grayed out and it's drivers 1.7 from 2009 and there is a later one, but not for the 610 or is for gaming, of which I could care less about.

I can go in and try to download the other driver and see if that does anything. This is getting ridiculous.
  • littlehausbigcity
    Solved, it was my Nvidia driver that was outdated. reached out to Nvidia and their tech support was able to get me the proper driver and I was able to restart Hitfilm, with my project intact as far as I know.

So all good here.
  • littlehausbigcity
    Essentially, part of it was the C++ Visualizations only went up to 2012 and through MS this morning, got the latest version (2017-2019) with the VCruntime410.dll and then Hitfilm came back and said my driver for my graphics card, a legacy Geforce 610GT was outdated, so reached out to Nvidia and got that solved.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,969 Ambassador

Glad you solved it.

Note the Nvidia 600 series is currently the minimum/oldest Nvidia GPU supported. The next time Hitfilm raises hardware specs I expect the 600's to fall off the list.

HF 16.0 was the last spec raise. I doubt another will happen for another year or two, but just planning ahead.

• littlehausbigcity

Triam23,

Thanks for the heads up. I do plan on when things settle down financially speaking to do a large upgrade to the entire PC. The current box was supposed to buy me time until I could do a full upgrade and then go with what was then the latest Adobe Premiere Pro CC if budget allows.

At least now this will buy me time, unless the card itself takes a dump before then. But with the Delta variant of Covid 19, who knows when this will actually end as a pandemic, what with so many still unvaccinated, especially in the US if not elsewhere and GPU prices drop sometime next year so basic cards like the 710 etc aren't going for more than $100 as there still appears to be a shortage of these things still.

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,063 Moderator

@littlehausbigcity Glad also that you managed to run it all down. Two things at once is never an easy find. FWIW, I highly recommend downloading NVidia's Geforce Experience at this link. I have had really good luck for over half a dozen years with it staying up-to-date on the drivers for 1st my 1060 then 1660 TI.

• littlehausbigcity

Thanks Tddavis,

I will look into that link for future reference. Though as Triem23 noted, the Nvidia 610 is likely to not be supported within a couple of years anyway so this gives me time to get steady work (and income) and then begin the process of saving, scrimping etc for building my own new PC.

Just about the ONLY thing that can be considered up to date is Windows 10 and HitFilm, LOL, everything else, including the PC is getting up there in age as computers go, but it was meant to be a short term upgrade to replace my very aging old PC with Vista on the cheap, oh, I do have a new-ish SSD drive in it, a Samsung EVO 870 with 500GB capacity. The PC was picked up refurbished with a 120GB Patriot Burst SSD.

Anyway, back up and running and can resume uploading to my YT channel.