Best place to shoot a Action scene? (Indian studio shooting in Canada)

krishd3
krishd3 Website User Posts: 52 Enthusiast
edited August 14 in Practical Filmmaking

I am doing this project for a local studio in India, but we are now shooting in Canada, I don't know much about Canada, where I could get better light, temperature, scene, etc.?

I am using a Blackmagic 6k (I also used that in my last project, which I finished the last hour), I am ready to buy lenses if needed, because the studio is giving the budget. So if you have ever shot in Canada, or are living in Canada, what place do you think is best for action scenes? I have plenty amount of 4k cameras for emergency needs, Any post would be helpful. In the video and post-production process, we are a crew of 15 people (All friends since college), and there are 4 actors. We all might learn something from this because it's the first time we are doing this for a studio, we were only used to do it for youtube and Vimeo in 2015 and then deleted it in 2016, somehow that studio saw our videos and appointed us for work. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• krishd3

btw, I am using a VPN because I also need to open Indian government websites at this time.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,824 Ambassador
    edited August 14

USA here, so I just want to congratulate you and your team! It has to be very exciting to be going overseas for a production.

Tell us a bit more about the project. You'll be limited on what you can say, probably (I assume you have an NDA), but knowing a few basic things like genre, setting and time period of your show will help. If you need a mountain setting, that's different from tundra, or urban, right? If the action scenes are, say, martial arts or sword fights you're looking at different permits than gun battles, maybe.

Once you figure out where in Canada you might be thinking of you'll want to contact the local film board (I believe, in general, permits are gotten at a provincial and/or city level, i.e. Vancouver, vs, Calgary, vs Quebec), as well.

Don't overlook need for lighting, audio, etc.

Once you know where you're filming, look for rental houses in the area. Lenses can't travel in a cargo hold - pressure changes will cause condensation in the lenses, so any lenses you bring go in a carry on, and I've DONE international travel with a 30 pound camera bag. Not fun (and that was an airline with a 22 pound carry on limit... So I had a couple of nice desk agents who pretended they didn't see how heavy the bag was, but I've had others charge me for the overweight bag. The cost of the overweight bag was more than a lens rental for a couple weeks). By owning cameras and bringing a couple of basic lenses, but renting locally you'll keep weight down and reduce odds of having lenses damaged. Probably save some rupees, as well. You might decide to buy anyway, but just consider renting.

As you see, I added "Indian studio shooting in Canada" to your headline. Hopefully that will attract those Canadians on the forum to advise. πŸ‘

• Manhit
    Manhit Website User Posts: 45 Enthusiast

Hi @krishd3 ,

I may be a little biased but I think Vancouver is a good bet if you need action scenes in both urban and rural settings. The fact that shows like "Supernatural", "The Flash", "Snowpiercer" and "Fear the Walking Dead" are (or were) filmed here means that many production companies would agree. There are a lot of film production and studio facilities in the city. It probably has the best weather in Canada unless your film is heavily dependent on scenes with snow and ice.πŸ˜€ Best wishes for your productions!

• krishd3

Thanks, I will surely look for vancouver @Manhit .

• krishd3
    edited August 16

I have already written the type of battle and more to @Triem23 in this topic only, but when I posted it, then it shows me post to be approved, any explanation?

• krishd3
    edited August 19

Thanks,

We are here till December 31st or January 1. The scene is all about medieval, swords, armors, blood (blender), daggers, axes, clubs and spears.

We are not planning to use a green screen (even we have one), because it will still give a unrealistic feel. I don't know much about medieval things, that's why I can't figure out best place, And unfortunately I was also chosen as Prop Master and Set Designer, and fortunately my favorite fields were at least there, Camera man and Video editor.

I can't reveal the name of the shortmovie, but it will be given to all the people who comes to the studio and buy a camera or hire the studio for any shortfilm or else.

I will surely contact the local film board before shooting.

Just a question, is there a film city in Canada, like Ramoji Film City in India?

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 5,019 Moderator

@krishd3 I think the closest that comes near that location in India, will be Vancouver area that was previously mentioned, but I also think that the Toronto area has a fairly sizeable film/tv scene. Now, I am not sure about Montreal/Quebec but I do see a film production company listed at the end of credits a lot.

As far as settings for medieval pieces, they tend to stay to large grassy plains and dense forests the latter of which is all around Vancouver for sure. Not familiar with and stone/castle structures in Canada though. Now Scotland, you can't hardly throw a bagpipe without hitting one of those. 🀣

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,824 Ambassador
    edited August 19

I will say you won't find many castles in North America. Indigenous cultures didn't build them and, by the time Europeans settled, castles were mostly out of fashion.

England, Scotland and Ireland are where most studios go for castles. Romania also gets used a lot for period pieces as Romania also has a lot of castles and other old architecture, and took less bombing in WWII than other parts of Europe.

If you see a TV show or movie that's supposed to 13th - 19th century Europe it was probably shot in Romania. Same goes for ancient Greece or Rome.

Here's a thought... Think of movies or TV shows that have architecture you like, then go to IMDB and look for the shooting locations there. See where they were filmed!

For sake of argument, I looked up (randomly) a TV miniseries version of "Ivanhoe," which is a tale of a 12th century knight. Here are some of the shoot locations listed on IMDB. Lots of castles.

Remember Google is your friend. You can search any of these locations and get pictures. Do some "virtual location scouting." Here's Doune Castle ("Game of Thrones," "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," "Ivanhoe," "Outlander," et. al.")

• ndpproductions
    ndpproductions Website User Posts: 28 Enthusiast

We have a LOT of castles here in the UK! πŸ˜‚

• krishd3

We do have it too in India, and they are a lot, one can shoot for more than a 1,000 days if they shoot 1 castle each day...lol...πŸ˜‚

But Germany has 25,000 in total.

• krishd3

I would like to chose to shoot in Scotland now, most of the scenes are finished, just the climax (the war, and the unexpected thing that happened in the war) and the actors or knights of both kingdoms are drinking together in the castle, as they found out... (Oh! I was about to reveal the climax).

I think we will just shoot the war now in Vancouver, and fly to Scotland for the final scene. The studio will not publish the shortmovie on any Online Platform because the shortmovie was to be only given to the members who will buy stuff in the studio as it was the 10th anniversary of the studio.

And we all are getting a good amount of money, if we come together with all the money to invest in a new business, we would love to start our own studio. "The Saucey Sundays"

• Triem23

Well... Sounds like an exciting project. I hope all goes well.