Speed effect and audio

Marcin
Marcin Posts: 128 Just Starting Out
edited October 2014 in Post-production techniques

Speed effects seems to affect only video track, audio is unchanged. I wanted to progressively slow down a video to a stop and unchanged audio was a bit of disappointment ;)

Anyone knows how can I achieve this effect with audio? I guess it would be inanother program, but is there a sound editor that allows to slow down audio to a stop, with keyframes, to controll the process to match the video?

PS: I already know about Tape Stop VST plugin

Comments

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    edited October 2014

You could try this free program- Audacity. I haven't played around with it that much but it should do what you're looking for. Not sure if it comes to a complete stop but if it gets slow enough you can just edit the track to 'fake' a stop effect. You'll probably also have to import the track with your video and work out synchronizing both.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

There is also a manual which is accessible through the 'help' menu.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

Vegas can do it. So can Sound Forge. I think Wavelab, maybe? 

• Marcin
    edited October 2014

If Vegas and Sound Forge can do it, this must be a difference between Studio and Pro versions. In Studio versions I can only stretch/compress events, but the same ratio is applied to the whole clip. I tried to simulate slowing down manually, but the result was not nice, I could hear moments of speed change.

And it would be so nice and easy if speed effect were affecting also sound. This would work not only for slowing down, but also for switching from normal playback to reverse and so on.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

Ah, yeah, looks like that IS pro-only. Sorry. 

• Marcin

Yes, it it always this way. You think about something and then "it is pro feature only" :)

• Marcin

Thanks for the info ,  I will check it.

• duffman
    duffman Posts: 235 Enthusiast

Reaper allows you to drop tempo markers on the time line. (Keyboard short cut= Contrl +C) Or opposite click on the timeline to open up a menu and find the command. There are also stretch markers that can be used on the media item itself.

You can tell it to change speed at the markers or gradually between them.  Using the markers will not effect the lenght of your audio file. As well you can import your video into  a track for alignment purposes.

Duff

• Marcin

Just to update, maybe someone will need it. Just have found out, that the "Pitch bend" effect, available in Sound Forge (Studio) does the trick. It is also present in the Adobe Audition 1.5.