How to reduce memory usage?

krishd3
krishd3 Website User Posts: 57 Enthusiast
edited August 13 in HitFilm

I am working on a very heavy 4k project, with lots of 3D, raw heavy footage, and more. Hitfilm is taking about 180GB out of 256GB and blender takes about 60GB, I can't do anything with blender because everything is set to the lowest in it. But as I am a novice in hitfilm pro, I don't know much about customizations in it. So I just want it to take a bit less ram (around 8-9GBs) so that I can work on chrome for stock footage, Here are my system specs if you need:-

System specs:- Intel® Core™ i9-10900X X-series Processor (19.25M Cache, 4.80 GHz{Overclocked}) with 256 GB Ram and GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER on MSI creator X299 motherboard (And an EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3090).

Tagged:

Best Answer

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,271 Moderator
    Accepted Answer

HitFilm and your computer will automatically manage your memory usage. If you open Chrome, HitFilm will either reduce it’s memory usage, or swap into your page file as needed. I only have 8GB of RAM, and I can use Chrome just fine while HitFilm is open.

HitFilm will take whatever memory it can get if it can use it, but it’s happy to make way for other programs if needed.

Answers

• krishd3

That means it will do the same on my Mac Pro, because it does too have 256GB ram, And I am thinking too just use it for hitfilm and chrome, and my windows for blender. If it doesn't do the same on my Mac Pro, then I will let you know. Right now, I am working on my smartphone for finding some critical files for the project that I saved.

Thanks for you post.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,271 Moderator

Yup, it works the same on Mac!

• krishd3

I tried too, it works, thanks!

And the most supportive piece in all of this is my system of being capable of running such heavy tasks.

Thanks Again.

• cluelessnube
    cluelessnube Website User Posts: 520 Enthusiast

256GB of Ram? Wow. And I thought I was a hot shot with 16GB. Guess not!

How do you even get 256GB of Ram in to any Mac???

• krishd3

Seriously!, are you still living in 2015s, I use a workstation Mac Pro, Not a macbook, If you don't know Mac Pro supports upto 1.5TB of ram, and I am only running it quarter. You are still novice in computers, don't believe, check Apple's website. Mac Pro:- https://www.apple.com/in/mac-pro/

• cluelessnube
    cluelessnube Website User Posts: 520 Enthusiast

No, you're wrong, totally WRONG! I'm living in 2011, on a ten year old iMac. :-)

I believe you, I believe you, thanks for the education, and congrats on your budget.

• krishd3
    edited August 26

Thanks...

(I only know... it took me 2 months to find out a ram that has 32GB of memory in my country, I asked my cousin sister to get one from US and ship it to India and I will pay her the money, because there were only 7, I asked many places, but couldn't get 1 more.)

These were the originals placed in order:-

Graphic cards wasted my money, because there is no use for that much vRAM. Because I only use blender on windows.