Make composite shot background transparent / BLACK WIDOW Title Tutorial

PaulSeal
PaulSeal Website User Posts: 11 Just Starting Out*

Hi,

I have followed the tutorial 'Create a BLACK WIDOW Title Sequence' by FX home(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZOcXzX0ZHs)

I stopped before adding the fog and ash as I only want the text, at this point I would like to add it to my timeline over some video footage, When I add it over the clip it brings the black background.

So is it possible to make the black background transparent?

I'm using Hitfilm Express v2021.1

Thanks for any help,

Paul

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,935 Ambassador
    edited August 9

Sorry, but, unless you've added a plane or other background layer the Comp should already be transparent.

Did you create text using text LAYERS or the text EFFECT?

Edit: hold that thought, I need to re-watch this tutorial.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,935 Ambassador

To be clear, how are you creating your text? Do you have the BCC add-on for Express, or are you using text LAYERS or the text EFFECT?

I've followed the tutorial myself up to the "adding Fog" point and have a properly transparent background, so, if you used a different method to create the text that's likely where your problem is. Or you followed some of Zach's instructions wrong.

If you have a black background, my best guess is you didn't have the BCC add-on so used the text EFFECT on a plane layer.

• PaulSeal
    edited August 10

Thanks for the reply @Triem23

I used the BCC Type on Text effect, I recorded a screen capture video to show my workflow, am I doing something wrong?

Hopefully you can see what I do in the video, I tried to do it slowly;

https://youtu.be/ChEE1MadTbI

Any help appreciated

• PaulSeal
    edited August 11

I figured out my mistake, I was adding the BCC type on text effect to the clip not to a plain layer that I could move above the media clip in the composite shot.

Thanks for taking the time to help me @Triem23

• Triem23

Hah! Sorry for the delay, but I just finished watching your workflow vid and was coming to tell you that! But good on you for figuring out the error on your own. 👍