Text On A Sphere

How come that when you put anything on a rotating sphere it appears like it's in a mirror when it's at the halfway rotation point.  It's most visible when there's text written on the sphere.  You shouldn't be able to see the text at all when it has rotated only 180 degrees but you can see it backwards.  How do you get rid of that effect. 
Here is a link to the file https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=93E48C5E9ED518A8!1824&authkey=!ANsp_eMivs4lh0k&ithint=folder%2c

I mistakenly sent this to support.

Comments

• HitFilmer289932
    HitFilmer289932 Posts: 81 Just Starting Out

But what if I don't want anything else in the rest of the sphere.  Do I have to see the back of the footage.  Isn't there a way to not to see it?

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Posts: 2,722 Ambassador

Is your text on a seperate layer from the background?

• HitFilmer289932

No it isn't. If you click on th link you can see it's on the same layer.

• StormyKnight
    edited October 2014

I sat here for three hours this morning and tried everything I could to not see the reflected/mirrored text on the opposite side of the sphere. I tried everything from inserting a mask, duplicating layers and moving one back a tic and changing it to black then applying a sphere to both, exported one frame of a layer and text and brought it back into a new composite and finally, using composite shots with the text and layers together but there was always a mirrored image of the text on the other side of the sphere. So, here's the conclusion I've come to:

I think the sphere effect has an inherent mirror feature to it. If there is a way to hide or eliminate the mirrored text it's beyond me. I think it's designed this way to apply textures to wrap around the sphere.

So if anyone else has any ideas please speak up!

HitFilmer289932 , you may want to bring this up with support if there isn't an answer here. Perhaps the developers can take a look. Seems to me an option should exist in the controls to turn the mirrored text off.....darned if I could find it.

I also referenced this tutorial:

• HitFilmer289932

Hey Stormy

Thanks for your incredible efforts.  I certainly can't understand why there's a mirrored effect.  The logical procedure would be that a sphere would be created without a mirrored effect and if you wanted one there would be an option to create  one.

I have already written to support but as of yet I haven't got an answer.

Thanks again.  Watching that tutorial that you posted was what got me checking out the sphere effect in the first place.

• StormyKnight

TooshkaWinConway - I did try masking but I must not have done it right. I'll give it another go tomorrow when I have a little more time.

• HitFilmer289932

Beats me.  Still no word from support.

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

Sorry for taking a while to get back to you on this one. I've sent you a project file in the support system which hopefully does what you're after.

To get the text to be on the sphere without the mirroring, I go into the surface texture settings, turn off reflection and set scale ratio to 2 (this wraps the texture all the way around the sphere). I also flip the source texture on the Z axis so that it wraps the right way around.

• HitFilmer289932

Hi Simon.   I couldn't open the attachment in Hitfilm you sent me via support.

I did set the surface texture ratio to 2 and the funny thing is that the mirrored text was kept and the normal text disappeared and the colour is a lighter shade where the original text was.

I'm sorry I didn't know what you meant by flipping the source texture on the Z axis.

• SimonKJones

I sent you a follow-up message on support with a fixed project file, did you not get that?

To flip a layer you need to go to its transform properties, unlink the X and Y properties and set the X to -100%. This will then flip it around the right way on the sphere (a bit counter-intuitive, but it works!).

Hope that helps!

• HitFilmer289932

I did get the follow up message and although i could import it under "all files" into hitfilm I couldn't drag it to the timeline.  It wouldn't open.

• SimonKJones

The attached file is a project file, so you just need to open it like you would a normal project file.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Or, you can import a project into a project by importing as a Composite shot.