Composite size not the same as editor when animating size

wkiess01
wkiess01 Posts: 17 Just Starting Out*

I am using HitFilm Pro 13. I have set Full HD video, i.e. 1920 x 1080, for my Project settings and the video is also FHD.

I have a video clip whereby I exported the 1st frame so I can make a composite shot from it to "fake" a camera zoom out and make it look like it belongs to the clip, i.e. the 1st frame is zoomed in and the last frame is the same size as the 1st frame of the clip it came from.

When I place the composite shot without any changes to it in front of the clip and play it, the picture stays nice and still and the same size as the 1st frame of the video clip. As soon as I change the size of the composite to 130% at key frame 1 and return to 100% at the last or even 5 key frame before the end of the composite shot and play the sequence back, the last frame(s) of the composite shot are much larger than the 1st frame of the clip it came from. To make it look the same size, I have to reduce the zoom to 84%, not 100%.

The project settings, the video clip and the still taken from it are all set to FHD.

Where am I going wrong? Why is the composite shot not the same size at 100% as that of the video clip?

Comments

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,033 Staff

@wkiess01 I am confused by what you mean by "reduce the zoom to 84%" could you confirm that you are changing the scale and not the viewer zoom?

• wkiess01

My apologies @TheBenNorris . I am using the wrong terminology. I am indeed having to change the scale to 84% to make the composite shot the same size as the exported 1st frame.

• TheBenNorris

@wkiess01 it might be easier if you are able to provide a video or some screenshots, I'm struggling to picture what's happening unfortunately.

• wkiess01

@TheBenNorris I will try my best to convey the issue with pics.

The 1st image is a screenshot of the 1st frame of the video clip to the right of the cursor on the Editor timeline. I exported this frame as a pic, then imported it and made a composite shot so I could provide some movement in the still pic as though it were being zoomed out from by the camera. As you can see, it takes up the full frame in size (1920x1080).

The image below is the last frame of the composite shot using the exported frame from above. You will note that it does not fill the frame completely, i.e. it is smaller than 1920x1080. The Scale shows 84%. I did not change the display settings of the viewer.

The image below is the same last frame of the composite shot, but this time as shown in the Editor timeline, not the Composite timeline. Note that the image is now almost exactly the same size as 1st image above being the 1st frame of the video clip. Yet the composite scale is only at 84%, not 100% as I would have expected. I arrived at the 84% through trial and error, no other means.

My idea was to use the 1st frame of the video clip as a still image and make it appear as though the camera was zoomed in on the sign, zooming out to the original size, then playing the rest of the clip.

It kinda works with the above settings, but there is still a slightly noticeable jump in the video between the end of the composite and the beginning of the video clip due to the slightly different sizes. I can live with it, but I sure as heck would like to know why a 100% scale in the composite shot did not equate to the same size/scale of the originally exported pic and how I can get it to be perfect.

I hope I've managed to explain it in more detail. Please let me know if you need more info.

My project settings are Full HD as shown below as is the video clip and still image:

• TheBenNorris

@wkiess01 out of curiosity, can I see your composite shot settings as well as the controls for the problematic comp on the editor timeline (more specifically what the scale of the comp is).

• wkiess01

@TheBenNorris Sorry for the late reply. I don't seem to get notified when there is a response to my posts and I've been busy with other (non-video) projects.

The screenshot below is of the properties of the Composite shot I'm working with:

Here are the controls for frame 1 :

and here are the controls for the last frame:

HTH

Walter

• TheBenNorris

@wkiess01 I'm not really sure what else to suggest unfortunately, so I recommend perhaps sending this project in to support so we can take a look ourselves and hopefully find something out!

• wkiess01

OK, Thanks for trying @TheBenNorris . How do I go about sending the project in to support? Is there a procedure for this somewhere I can follow?

• TheBenNorris

www.fxhome.com/ask will take you to where you can submit a ticket, they may ask you to zip the project and send it via Drive or Dropbox or similar.