Matte Edges

fxhomer264671
fxhomer264671 Posts: 3 Just Starting Out*

Hello! I am working on an animated border. I have a composite shot with the matte source on the bottom (a red rectangle) and a rotating plane with a color gradient (pink and black) on top. When it is supposed to be totally black, I can see the matte color along the edges. Pic is zoomed in but when zoomed out to its original size, you can still see a faint line. I have tried making the border bigger and scaling it down but that doesn't help. I have also tried Spill Remover and Matte Cleaner and I don't see a difference. Is there anything to help the edges?

Comments

• CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,341 Ambassador

@fxhomer264671 Welcome to the community! Could you please share more details about how your composite shot is set up? Screenshots of the layer stack and the full viewer pane would be helpful, along with details about how each of the layers was made.

• fxhomer264671
    @CleverTagline I imported a png of a red border with a transparent background. It is 1920x1080px. I dragged it over to the editor and right-click to make a composite shot. I made a plane and added the color gradient effect. Chose my colors and did the rotation with keyframes. I then added the set matte effect and set the source layer to the border png. The gradient plane is above the border layer in the composite shot. How would I be able to add screenshots? Thank you for your help!
  • CleverTagline
    CleverTagline Posts: 3,341 Ambassador

@fxhomer264671 Thanks for the breakdown! Because the PNG of the red border is simply being used to drive the transparency of the gradient layer, you can hide the red border layer completely. The Set Matte effect will still use the image's alpha channel—even when hidden—to drive the alpha of the gradient layer.

Re: why that edge is still appearing visible at all, it's probably because of its partial transparency in the original image. That partial transparency is carrying through to the gradient layer, so the partially-transparent black edge is showing the original partially-transparent edge of the red border. If the original PNG had cleaner edges on that red border, you wouldn't have this problem.

On a side note, screenshots can be added to a forum post/comment by simply dragging them into the editor. I'm not sure if newer users are allowed to post screenshots, though. You might need to give it some time before your account is verified.

• fxhomer264671

@CleverTagline Thank you for your help! I hid the border layer and it took care of the problem! I will make sure I have clean border edges before importing them. Regarding the screenshots, when I came back, I got a notification my account is verified and I can upload screenshots now. Again, thank you for your help!