Buy now or waiting for HitFilm 3

davide445
davide445 Posts: 306 Just Starting Out

Decided HF it's what I need now I'm just to decide when to buy it.

Reading here and there I understand HF 3 it's just to be released next month or later in December.

if its a so huge jump from HF2 as was from HF1 might worth waiting, but I need also time learning for my project so 1 or 2 months waiting are a huge time.

I can access educational pricing, what's normaly the upgrade policy from that kind of license?

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

Well... to clarify, no one at FxHome has confirmed that Hitfilm 3 will be released within the next couple of months. What you've probably seen is *me* speculating wildly that Hitfilm 3 will be released in the next couple of months based on the fact that, well, the users of the community suspect Hitfilm 3 is in the pipeline, and November would be a very smart time to release Hitfilm 3, since, you know Xmas shopping.... Then FxHome's Simon Jones says something like "Hmmmmm....Interesting guesses on here."

No firm announcement has been made by FxHome regarding a release date for HFU 3, or for any new features and upgrades the software may contain, so I'm afraid I can't answer your questions--besides, I'm not an FxHome employee, so I know as much as you do right now.

I doubt an FxHome staff member will give any kind of indication at this point for release dates/new features, since most companies tend to wait until their official press announcement--however, it can be assumed that there would be a discounted upgrade path from Hitfilm 2 to Hitfilm 3 if you decided to purchase at this time.

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

Hmmmmm....Interesting guesses on here.

• Triem23
    edited October 2014

Simon thinks he's funny.

Simon also posted this Blog within the last hour: http://hitfilm.com/blog/the-new-printing-press/

Of interest is the final line, "And next week, it's going to get even better."

So, wait a week and see what they announce.

• Maxwell_Inc_Studios
    Maxwell_Inc_Studios Posts: 28 Just Starting Out

From what I recall if you were to buy it now you would still be able to upgrade for free (if a new version is released, or there is a major update). I bought mine a year ago, but made sure I wouldn't have issues upgrading when that time came. My recommendation, buy it! 

My guess, whatever is going to be announced is going to be pretty major, but regardless of that the software is fully capable right now. 

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

To clarify, our upgrade policy in the past has been along these lines:

- Anybody who has a previous version gets a nice upgrade discount. The specific amount can vary depending on the specific products involved.

- Upgrading is entirely optional.

- The free upgrade option that JuniperRoth mentions only applies to purchases made AFTER a product announcement and BEFORE the actual launch.

That's for UPGRADES, which we define as being a change to a major new version - version 1 to version 2, for example.

UPDATES are different and are always free. They tend to focus on bug fixes and sometimes minor new features. eg version 1 to version 1.5.

• Triem23

Heck, since the policy is a free upgrade for purchase post-announcement/pre-release, you may only have to wait a week? 

• davide445
    davide445 Posts: 306 Just Starting Out
    edited October 2014

I did like HF also for his rieally nice community

I think will wait a bit more and see what's happening, knowing that if time is coming short I did still have an optimal solution with current HF2U.

Will also check with reseller to be sure upgrade path for edu license will follow common rules.

• I feel like asking if Hitfilm 3 is going to be released soon is like asking if Hillary Clinton is going to run for president in 2016. Let me take a wild guess... Although, they may surprise us with something different, like Hitfilm CC,  or they may pull a Final Cut and jump straight to Hitfilm V. They also might join the private space industry. We don't know for sure, yet. All I know is that my wallet is getting anxious.

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast

They should pull a Microsoft and just got to HItfilm 10 or hitfilm X. 

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast

They could have faster updates without subscriptions. They just have to make that a priority.  Dont plan for the next hitfilm, just plan on  teching out hitfilm.  Like hey we are going to incresse the ram limit.  Month later... Boom.