[ENHANCEMENT] Importing psd files with their layers and effects.

mabdelbary
mabdelbary Posts: 133 Enthusiast

I suggest to have the ability to import the psd files with their set of layers and effects. The effects will be from another program so we need a convertor or something similar in imerge pro to translate these effects to be functional and modifiable in Imerge pro.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Proteas
    Proteas Posts: 39 Just Starting Out*

Not in this century :)

• mabdelbary

@Proteas I see your point, however, I use sometimes GIMP to open PSD files that came from photoshop. I agree that it doesn't detect everything as it was in the original file, but at least I can get the PSD file opened in GIMP with the same layers order and colors to modify them separately.

I suggest that Imerge pro and HitFilm pro could take this as a start then they can find their own converter language to interpret the imported file with its modifiable effects in Imerge pro or HitFilm in general.

Thanks!!

• Proteas
    Proteas Posts: 39 Just Starting Out*

Then, i agree. They might realize it within this decade, but i would prefer some other (specific) possibility as a next step, that has nothing to do with third part apps.

• mabdelbary

Certainly, the more we stick into one software that does all the artists' requirements, the better!!

I know it takes time, however, it is worth it to be focused on one software to do your full production instead of learning bunch of programs and not mastering them properly.

I would like to stick to FXhome programs and master them to get the required results in VFX, photo editing, video editing and sound mixing. I see that FXhome is going to the right direction but it needs time and persistence. 👍️

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,030 Staff

It's worth noting that Imerge and Photoshop are at their core fundamentally different: Imerge is non-destructive, while Photoshop is destructive. This means that you can cut, change and remove pixels in Photoshop, whereas Imerge simply applies stacks of effects that alter the appearance of the image without ever changing the underlying image.

Additionally, I don't think it is actually possible to bring across their effects, even if we were to map them to our equivalents, the controls do not necessarily perfectly line up since they are two different implementations.

That said, I imagine importing layers from PS is feasible, and something worth adding to the list, as you have.

• mabdelbary

@TheBenNorris Thanks for your clarification! I believe at least if Imerge pro was able to import the layers separately as images, it will be handy to redraw the parts we need and get rid of the other parts and have more options and flexibility to breakdown some layers instead of having a flattened image.

Thanks again!!