"The render process crashed. Please try again." Error message when exporting

diazahra
diazahra Website User Posts: 5 Just Starting Out*
edited July 24 in HitFilm

Hello, I've went through a lot of the posts in here about this same error message, and I figured the solution might just come case-by-case.

So I've already: cleared cache by shutting down the computer, prioritized hitfilm express when exporting in task manager, updated my OS (windows), checked my storage (have plenty of space) and the hardware decoded when rendering in hitfilm.

Edit: I'm trying to update my graphics card but had some issues, so now I'm trying to troubleshoot that. I'll comment again after I've finished updating the GPU and tried exporting again.

It usually crashes under 10% except this one time it went to 16% after I updated my OS but that's it. My video does have a lot of sound effects and other effects on it though. It's 18 minutes with the usual Youtube 1080Hp export. I have the project saved in my laptop but I'm not sure what to do.

My computer specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8265U CPU @ 1.60GHz  1.80 GHz

GPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

RAM: 4.00 GB (3.88 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Comments

• spyresca
    spyresca Website User Posts: 203 Enthusiast
    edited July 25

That is really under powered, potato computer. Even if you can get HF to run, I'm not sure you'd actually want to with that lack of basic computing power.

• diazahra
    @spyresca Yes, this is a potato computer, but I've already had exported videos with hitfilm before with no problems, videos that are even longer than this and had more sound effects. So what could the problem be now?
  • diazahra
    Update: Graphics card is already updated and all my other computer specs (I think that's what it is) are up-to-date according to intel, but I'm still getting the error message at around 5% and can't fully export the video.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,798 Ambassador
    edited July 25

Here's the deal:

You do have a weak GPU and the minimum RAM.

If your project exceeds the capabilites of your GPU rendering will crash. This has nothing to do with rendering projects in the past and everything to do with the current project.

Hitfilm's viewer does not anti alias by default. Hitfilm renders ALWAYS antialias - the point being renders use more resources than editing. It is possible to edit a project that exceeds your GPU power on render.

You've said you've used "a lot" of effects. Yiu might need to remove things.

If you have any Composite Shots, Pre-render them all, then wait for that to finish before rendering. That will take strain off the GPU.

You can try rendering image sequences near the crashing point. See what's going on in the crashing section.

• diazahra
    edited July 25

@Triem23 Ohh I see, okay so now what I'm trying to do is to export the audio and video separately first and then combine them again in another project and export them there. Is that a good idea?

I've already successfully exported the audio-only in .wav format with all the sound effects but with exporting the video only (by deleting some of my audio tracks and deleting all the sound effects) it's still crashing with the same error message.

You mentioned pre-rendering but I'm not using composite shots, it's basically a video of screen recording and, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems I can't pre-render that. So continuing with the idea, would exporting the video only in another format help? Or maybe you have any other suggestions? Please let me know, thank you!

• spyresca
    spyresca Website User Posts: 203 Enthusiast
    edited July 27

These sort of issues are why it's probably best to pursue a different editor that can run better on your potato computer. Simply put, your computer isn't up to your current task if you're getting these errors.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,798 Ambassador

You can export audio separately.

You could try exporting Image sequences, but that won't guarantee a perfect export - but, unlike a video render, if a crash happens you at least get to keep the successful frames. You can start a second image sequence after the crash frame and stitch multiple image sequences together to re-render.

Ultimately, you'll have to figure out what effects are causing the crash and remove them or find alternatives. As spyresca notes, if you're crashing out on a single Timeline your machine really isn't powerful enough to run Hitfilm. Something like Shotcut or Kdenlive might be better for you. If you can't run Hitfilm you can't run Resolve.

• diazahra

@Triem23 Alright then, I think exporting the audio-only is good enough for me and although exporting image sequences is a really good idea, I feel like it would be best for me to go to another editor. So on that note, I greatly appreciate the new editor suggestions, I'll definitely use them for now, hopefully, I can get back to hitfilm again whenever I can upgrade, thank you again for the help!

• mowusutht
    mowusutht Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Hi there,

i have had the same issue where the error message " the render process crashed. please try again"

I think my system is capable enough to handle hit film express. so what could be the issue now

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,995 Moderator
    edited September 6

@mowusutht There are some Dell specific issues that I am not up on but I have seen @Triem23 ask users if they have Dell or Alienware before, so I'm sure he will know what to ask or advise. On the surface (to my limited knowledge) your specs look like your system should handle Hitfilm no problem, but I could be mistaken. Triem23 should be along to correct my mistakes or give advice.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,261 Ambassador

@mowusutht Please review this article about issues with Dell or Alienware --> https://fxhome.com/faqs/view/78

If that does not solve the problem it would be best to contact FXHome support https://fxhome.com/questions/submit

• brxzierx
    brxzierx Website User Posts: 4 Just Starting Out*

Hello, I am also experiencing the same problem with my laptop. Above are all of the specifications, I've done all of the suggested steps ... but it still seems to be coming up with the same problem.

• brxzierx
    brxzierx Website User Posts: 4 Just Starting Out*

So what I did was pre-render everything and it seems to be working now!

• tddavis

@brxzierx Glad to hear that pre-rendering helped. One thing I notice is that your system is a Dell and I believe there are a couple of programs that come installed with Dell systems that can cause issues with Hitfilm. @Triem23 can you elaborate on this for me. Also, the I3 CPU may be just barely up to spec or below to efficiently run Hitfilm. This may be why your action with the pre-renders helped. Let's see what Mike (or anyone else tech savvy )thinks next time he is online.

• Triem23

@tddavis sorry, thought I responded to this last time you tagged me.

There is a known Glitch with Dell/Alienware machines, but that causes crashes on Import not Export. Sometimes "Dell Backup and Recovery" causes interference with Hitfipm. Terry, FXhome has a FAQ on the specific issue, so, if you ever see a user with a Dell/Alienware crashing on opening or Import, give this link.

Why did the Pre-render help? A Comp is a "virtual/procedural video clip." When procedural the Comp is calculated/rendered on every frame. When pre-rendered, it's a "real" video clip and Hitfilm is just reading frames from the file like any other video.

Digression - in general Exports use more resources than editing. By default the Viewer isn't anti aliased while an export is ALWAYS anti aliased. Anti aliasing requires more render power, so this is why something that previews ok can crash on export - the additional resources needed "tip the balance."

Ok,back to Comps and pre renders...

Let's say we have embedded Comps going on. We'll embed Comp "B" into a layer of Comp "A." For this example we're rendering Comp A directly from its Timeline. Right now we'll assume neither Comp is pre rendered. We'll also assume Comp B is something complex - maybe it's a big animated 4k Fractal Noise we're using as a texture or something.

Digression - Fractal based effects are resource intensive. Fractal effects are mathematical equations that are *iterated* - run multiple times. A Fractal Noise might run the same equation through 25 or 50 or more iterations each and every frame, hence, why it's a good example for this discussion.

Ok, so, when Comp B is not pre-rendered, rendering Comp A means that first Hitfilm has to go into Comp B, calculate and render (all those iterations, remember) the noise, then hold that output in a buffer, then return to calculate/render the rest of A.

So, obviously pre rendering B makes Hitfilm's job easier - instead of running all these equations to create the image it's just pulling a frame from a video file in the pre render folder.

Let's do a second example. Same Comp A, same Comp B, but we'll put Comp A on an Editor Timeline and render that.

Now we have a choice to make... Do we need to pre render both Comps? Actually, no... We could pre render Comp A...

Digression - I've not discussed what a "pre render" does. It's simple - just rendering the file to a video, but, the trick is, if you do anything to a pre rendered Comp which changes it - so turning a layer on or off, changing an effects setting, moving an element, etc - "invalidates" the pre render. The pre render is immediately deleted and the Comp returns to being procedural. A pre render is a high quality, lossless file in a custom codec, so it's very high quality, and the pre render is used on final export to save time and resources.

...back to our Editor Timeline... Comp A on the Editor, Comp B embedded in Comp A. We only have to pre render Comp A. The Editor never sees Comp B, it only sees Comp A as a layer. As long as we don't change Comp B we're good to go (Changing Comp B changes Comp A, so invalidates its pre render).

If in doubt, pre render all Comps... That's always safe. But, start your pre renders starting from the "deepest" nest. In this example you'd want to pre render B before A (because B effects A). However, once you get more experience in Hitfilm you'll be able to figure out which Comps need to be pre rendered and which won't matter. In this example, again, with Comp A on the Editor and Comp B as a layer on Comp A we wouldn't need to render B, because, once A is pre-rendered it's not looking at B anymore. Pre rendering B would be wasted time, since A is using the output of B. Just remember changing B invalidates the pre render of A.

This discussion would be better served in a video. It gets complex, so, to bottom line it, when in doubt, pre render all Comps. Once you have more experience with editing and embedding you'll be able to trace your project tree and figure out where you don't need to pre render and save more time.

• tddavis

@Triem23 You did, and thank you for posting it again. I tried to find it but could not for the life of me remember where it was. I was on my phone then and didnt copy and paste it but that has been corrected this time rest assured.😁