Does hitfilm support 4th-Gen AMD Ryzen 5?

bentechcode
bentechcode Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

Hey everyone! I'm asking if a 4th-gen Ryzen 5 will play nice with HitFilm express because I'm considering moving on from my 1st-Gen surface book that is currently breaking (battery is swelling). I currently have my eyes on various laptops and currently the best choice is a Lenovo flex 5 that has been reviewed very well and has good RAM and SSD.

My only concern is whether or not HitFilm express supports AMD chipsets. If anyone can help me with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,886 Moderator
    edited July 21
    • Operating System: 64-bit version of Windows 8 or Windows 10; MacOS 10.13 High Sierra, MacOS 10.14 Mojave, or MacOS 10.15 Catalina
    • Storage: 1.2 GB free hard disk space for installation
    • Processor: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors or AMD equivalent
    • RAM: 4 GB (8 GB or more recommended)
    • Graphics Processor: Graphics processor with at least 1 GB video memory.
    • 2GB or more video memory recommended for 4K UHD.
    • Earliest graphics cards HitFilm supports:
      • NVIDIA: GeForce 600 (Kepler) Series (2012)
      • AMD: Radeon R5 240 (2013)
      • Intel: HD Graphics 5000 (GT3) (2013)
    • Graphics Card Drivers: It is very important to have up-to-date drivers for your graphics card when using HitFilm.
    • For Mac users, the drivers are built into the OS and do not need to be updated separately.
    • For Windows users, it is recommended that you regularly check the website of your graphics card manufacturer (NVIDIA, AMD or Intel) for their latest drivers each month. The update built into Windows does not always report all updates, so it is recommended that you visit the manufacturer’s site rather than rely on the Windows update for your drivers.
    • Internet: Internet connection required for online activation and web services. Offline activation is possible as well, but web services will be absent from the software.

The above is the requirements to run Hitfilm lifted from this document:

I'm not sure about technical matters, but I assume a 4th generation Ryzen beats out my AMDFX-8350 by miles so I would say yes it is supported. Now, I recall there being some delay getting hardware acceleration on AMD GPUs but I was thinking that had been addressed. Hope this is of some help toward your question.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,578 Ambassador

I have a Ryzen 7 4800h with Nvidia 2060. Works great. A Ryzen 5 of that generation should be fine.

Now, Hitfilm is largely GPU based, so also getting a dedicated GPU is a big factor. AMD and Nvidia are both fine. The Ryzen has an integrated Vega 6, but that's about twice the speed of the bare minimum spec to run Hitfilm, while my 2060(mobile) is over 20 times faster than the HD 5000.

I'm more up on Nvidia GPUs than AMD. General advice, go for an xx60, 70, 80 or 90 of a 10xx or, more recent card. Avoid things like a 1030 or MX series. Those actually have LESS power than some integrated GPUs.

If you search this forum for "is this a good computer," you'll find more detailed information on builds.

• bentechcode
    bentechcode Website User Posts: 2 Just Starting Out*

Thanks @Triem23 !

Yeah this laptop is a budget build with no dedicated GPU only integrated Vega. I know I will not be able to afford anything higher than integrated vega and maybe...just maybe...Xe on an intel system. The problem is that most xe laptops have horrible design, materials, and keyboards. I have to balance performance with all these other factors and the build I'm eying hit all the right spots and provide great perforamnce with AMD. Any other adivce would be great. Thanks for the help!

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,220 Moderator

@bentechcode

Yeah, it’s hard to get the best of all worlds in a laptop, especially when you’re on a budget and especially especially when the market for computers is as crazy as it is right now.

The Vega 6 graphics should perform similarly to a dedicated NVIDIA MX-class processor found in some mid-end laptops. These aren’t amazing, but they are at least a lot better than some of the older Intel Integrated Graphics. I personally use a laptop with an older MX GPU and it works fine for editing optimized 1080p footage, and it’s met all my needs for effects (though I never do anything too intensive). 4K is miserable though, so if you need 4K, look elsewhere.