Hitfilm and After Effects

rick1
rick1 Posts: 221 Enthusiast

Hi, simple question. I use Hitfilm Pro with the Mocha Pro plugin, Is there any problem adding After Effects plugin.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,297 Power User

There are only a limited amount of Ae plug ins that can run in Hitfilm. Trapcode Particular, Element 3D, Video Copilot's Orb and Saber and another 3 or 5 I can't think of right now. Running those in Hitfilm does require Ae is installed (the demo is fine).

Otherwise @FilmSensei and @GrayMotion both have more experience with this than I.

• rick1

Thanks for the reply Mike so should be OK to subscribe then?

• Triem23

I'd wait until Sensei or GrayMotion check in. I've not actually ever tried using any of the "compatible" Ae plug ins. Note the quotes on "Compatible." Certain plug ins have certain issues, but I'm not going to trust my memory to remember them. Sensei and GrayMotion have hands on experience.

But, I do suggest you list the plug ins you want to use. That'll help them give specific feedback or advice.

• rick1

Thanks,only plugins I have are videocopilot and mocha pro OFX

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,634 Enthusiast
    edited July 2021

Hitfilm Pro VC After Effects plugins

From Video Copilot:

• Element 3D – import and animate realistic 3D models.
    • Optical Flares – create customizable, realistic lens flares.
    • Saber – create high energy beams, neon lights and other similar effects.
    • Orb – create 3D spheres and planets.
    • Heat Distortion – simulate realistic heat waves and mirage effects.

You don't actually have to install AE to get the VC plugins to work. They are simply looking for the path that AE creates to store the plugins. The paths are:

• C:\Program Files\Common Files\AE\Plugins
    • /Library/AE/Plugins

What actually does/doesn't work:

Heat Distortion - No problems found.

Orb - Works fine on PC. Currently will not launch on Mac with Hitfilm Pro version 16.1.2599. Orb worked in previous version of Hitfilm on the Mac so this error is new to ver. 16

Saber - One glitch. In order to use Customized Core:Text Layer - do this in order for you to get the Presets to work:

• Create Text Layer
    • Change Core type from Saber to Text Layer
    • Then in Presets select what you want: Default, Arc Reactor, Electric, etc. etc.

Optical Flares (paid) - Works but with a few (broken parts). More testing required though.

• Positioning Mode: Track Lights. Use a Hitfilm Spot Light. Note: No other lights will currently act as a Track Light...ie, Track Light Options seems to be broken in HF.

Element 3D (paid) - Works almost perfectly. Almost.

• When you create a Group Null or a Null it does not attach to the model or Group. It currently just make a Hitfilm 3D point. If you want to animate a E3D model you have to do it from the Particle Replicator X,Y and Z positions.
    • Render Settings: Depth of Field. This does not work at all with Hitfilm's Camera. If you want DoF you have to attain it by using different compositing elements (mattes) created under Output.
    • Orthographic views. Hitfilm will not display the E3D scene in orthographic views. Apparently HF cannot see the geometry.
    • Random graphics "black-out". Your Element scene will disappear completely. Only way to recover it to close Hitfilm, relaunch, re-open project. (Problems exists on PC and Mac)

Good luck and if you got any questions just ask away. Always glad to lend a hand 👍

• rick1

@GreyMotion,Hi,I only want AE to work with my mocha pro which I have installed,doing things like,track mattes etc, already have videocopilot Metro pack and Jetstrike.

• Triem23

Ah...

Ok, the Mocha that comes with Hitfilm is "Mocha Hitfilm," not "Mocha Pro." Mocha Hitfilm does not run in Ae, much like Mocha Ae does not run in Hitfilm.

The are multiple versions of Mocha Pro. After Effects has a propriety plug in format. The Ae compatible Mocha Pro cannot run in any other software. Hitfilm uses OFX. Mocha Pro OFX will not run in Hitfilm. To run Mocha Pro in both, unfortunately, you have to buy both.

Both versions Mocha Pro offer ways to transfer data to both programs, but exporting Mocha Pro Ae to Hitfilm (or other way around) will only export track mattes and tracking data. Other modules must be rendered to disc from Mocha and imported as image sequences.

• rick1

@Triem23, i have been using Mocha Pro OFX in Hitfilm Pro for a long time now and it works great. I just decided to buy After Effects plugin to use mainly with Mocha Pro, not for videocopilot or anything else. I have Ae on my desktop and am trying to find a way to put it in Hitfilm Pro, i did see 1 path , but it did not work. Any info will be most helpful

• Triem23

You can't use Ae plug ins with Mocha Pro OFX.

You can't use Ae plug ins - other than those discussed above - in Hitfilm and Mocha Pro OFX doesn't run in Ae.

• rick1

Thanks, lot of thinking to do.Thanks for the info

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,634 Enthusiast

Well….I totally misunderstood the OPs query didn’t I

• Triem23
  • rick1

@Triem23 and @GrayMotion Hi, been advised by both Mocha and AE there is no problem with what I want to do. I don't use lite versions .I have both Mocha Pro and After effects paid versions, Thanks for your time

• Triem23

@rick1 well, in this case, I'm perfectly happy to be wrong since my error works in your favor. 👍 Just wanted you to be certain things worked before you started spending money.

• rick1

No problem Mike, maybe i did not describe it correctly, you always do your best and i understand that as you don't use the plugins, also thanks to @Grey Motion for the helpfull advice i received. for reference if anyone askes in future here is what mocha said...martinb

Mocha Product Manager

13h

Mocha Pro OFX does run in Hitfilm, it’s just separate from the light version. Mocha HitFilm is akin to Mocha AE: They are light versions that specifically work with that host software.

For everything else, you are correct: If you have a license of Mocha Pro on any host, you can still export the shape and tracking data to other hosts. You just won’t be able to necessarily merge Mocha Pro projects to the light versions and vice versa.

• Triem23

Oops, I am correct. With this comment from above.

Of course the rendered data will work, but you won't be running Mocha Pro directly on an Ae layer, so you're just going through a render pass rather than have the plug in connect directly to the layer! Which is fine for those modules. All is well.

I still need to play with power mesh. That's what got me to upgrade my Mocha Pro 5 to 2021. And just in time, because Imagineer is about to shut down license transfers for Mocha 5 and earlier. My next computer (in the future) would be unable to activate the legacy Mocha 5!

• rick1

Powers is fantastic,and very easy to get back into Hitfilm , I can recommend it