My Final Drama School Project

SadOldGoth
SadOldGoth Website User Posts: 8 Just Starting Out*

Hi All,

I thought I'd posted this closer to the time I completed it, but apparently not.

This was my final project for drama school. The original concept/question was how to make an atmospheric movie without dialogue. It was intended to have a full cast and crew but because of Covid restrictions I ended up doing the whole thing myself - filming, directing, acting, scoring, editing...yeah, all me, and with no budget :)

It's flawed - oh, yes, I'm happy to admit that - but for a first attempt at filmmaking I'm pretty pleased with myself.

I'd love to have your thoughts.

Comments

• DafterThings
    DafterThings Website User Posts: 977 Enthusiast
    edited July 18

I had to speed watch it so apologies for that. For a one person production it's really well done. You mentioned a few things weren't perfect (are they ever?) but those moments were 'good enough' to get the story across (like the child playing) without taking me too far out of the world.

Very nice opening. I might have reframed some of the side shots to leave room for the smoke.

It was good how you took your time with it BUT it might have benefited from 5-10 mins less. As an example I got (I think) the glass of wine scene within a few seconds but it dragged on a little. As there is no dialog the phone call at 16:30 probably took me out of the moment more than anything else. Maybe if the view switched to us watching from outside through the window?

Anyway, I know how hard it is to perform all the roles and nothing was terrible. In fact, they were all pretty good.

• SadOldGoth
    SadOldGoth Website User Posts: 8 Just Starting Out*

Hi Dafter Things!

Thanks for the response, and sorry for the delay in responding. I really appreciate the feedback and I agree with you on all you've said, particularly the timing - that's the problem when you're working on a solo project and don't get feedback until after the event; it becomes a little self-indulgent because you've got no-one calling you out on anything and get blind to the flaws.

While the little girl wasn't great it did allow me to play with different software and techniques, so for that scene alone I used MakeHuman, Mixamo, Blender and CamTrackAR! Things would have been so much easier if I'd been able to use actors :)

Interestingly, the phone call was originally planned to be shot entirely from the outside and the way I filmed it kinda broke the internal consistency of the whole piece - by having me speaking and having the observer/audience/camera in a place where it could be heard was totally against the whole silent aspect. But sadly where I was filming didn't allow for a huge amount of options so I had to suck it up. I did like the actual shot itself though :D

Again, thanks for taking the time to watch, I truly appreciate it.

Jes