Not all installed fonts are in the text effect

arcfilm
arcfilm Posts: 44 Just Starting Out*

So i was using the normal text button and it has all the fonts that i installed recently. however when i went and added the text effect it didnt have the fonts that i installed can someone help me or tell me why

Answers

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,224 Expert

@arcfilm I have found that Hitfilm seeing installed fonts depends on how they are installed. Just dragging a font into the Font folder with Explorer doesnt seem to work. Also, opening a font and clicking the install button has problems depending on the font. The best method that I have found almost always works is the right click on the font file TTF, etc. and select install for all users (I think that's how it's worded) then reopen Hitfilm and so far it has always read them. Hope it helps, but remember there will some odd font that Hitfilm isn't able to use. 😃

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,297 Power User

To mostly repeat what @tddavis already said, Hitfilm looks for fonts installed into the OS. In Windows this means right-clicking the font and selecting "Install," not just dragging it into the system Fonts folder.

Hitfilm should read TTF and OTF fonts, but, I believe, can have more issues with OTF fonts.

As with 3D models, sometimes an online font can be a bit of a clunker and Hitfilm won't read it.

The Text EFFECT and Text LAYERS used to be different engines. I don't remember if they've been unified yet, but fell like that was one of the changes in HF 16

• HoldMySoda
    HoldMySoda Posts: 85 Just Starting Out*

"The best method that I have found almost always works is the right click on the font file TTF, etc. and select install for all users" @tddavis

This is 100% accurate. I always had issues with fonts that wouldn't work in HitFilm and that annoyed me to no end until one day I installed a font that way on accident, and it showed up in HitFilm when it didn't before, and that's how I figured it out.