Canon t3i Mic question.

ChrisMurphy
ChrisMurphy Website User Posts: 61

I have the rode video mic. 

http://www.amazon.com/Rode-Directional-Microphone-discontinued-manufacturer/dp/B0007U9SOC

What would be the best setting within the T3i to achieve good sound. I turned the audio to manual. So what else?

Thanks

Comments

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast

Well the best sound would be to use something with a different preamp like a audio recorder.

For your situation, if you are just going with the T3i... then it will be all about your mic's quality and placement to the sound.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,974 Ambassador

As MichaelJames says, it's about mic placement. If you're going directly into the camera, ideally you'd get some sort of cable extender so you have the option of hiding the microphone closer to your actors, or attaching the mic to a "boom pole."

Otherwise, monitor the audio levels on the meter---you never ever want to see red on a t3i. Wearing headphones is a must, to make certain you're getting a good signal.

A want to stress again the importance of mic placement--the bottom line is you want to figure out how to get your microphone as close as possible to the sound you're trying to capture. it doesn't matter if you have a $50 microphone or a $1000 dollar shotgun, your audio is going to sound better if you can get the microphone 5 feet from your actors and not 25 feet from your actors.

Also as MichaelJames notes, your best bet is to save up and get a dedicated audio recorder with preamps, using the built-in mic on the t3i to get just enough audio for reference as you synch up the audio from the external recorder. Why? Ok, so maybe I'm shooting a scene at a dinner table... if I can hide a dedicated audio recorder under the table and hide it's microphone close to the center of the table (maybe I hid it behind a serving dish, or something), then the mic is closer to the actors, and the audio will remain more consistent as I move the camera around the room for different angles. Maybe I'm shooting an action scene and it's a long shot with my actors talking, and they're across the street from the camera--at that point it doesn't matter how good the mic is, if it's on-camera it's going to get terrible audio. A dedicated recorder lets me hide the mic closer to the actors--say, behind that mailbox or the bus stop!

For most film work, audio is recorded seperately from the picture by a dedicated audio crew. Recording your "final" audio directly to your video footage is more of a documentary/event video kind of thing.

• Maxwell_Inc_Studios
    Maxwell_Inc_Studios Website User Posts: 28 Just Starting Out

My best bet would be to invest into a Zoom H1 (if you look around you can score them super cheap, I got mine on ebay for $50), I suggest the H1 over the H4N at first because it is a lot more straight forward to use, and in reality from the sound of it I don't think you need the multi-track recording interface the H4N offers (I suggest that to people who will be involved with lots of music recording).

One bonus once you invest is that you can also use the H1 to record stock sounds for your videos, do narratives over your video, etc. My only suggestion after you acquire the H1, invest into a boom pole so you can get your mics real close to the actor on scenes where it can't be hidden. Best of luck on your work, and remember to share your projects with all of the community. 

• ChrisMurphy

Hi,

JuniperRoth.

So if i bought the ZoomH1,would my Rode mic be useless?

• ChrisMurphy

Also, would having the Rode Videomic Pro, with the 20db boost make a difference?

• ChrisMurphy

Thanks for the input. I am new to the audio technical stuff. How can I use my rode in conjunction with the H1? Like are they connected or something?

• ChrisMurphy

Alright! Awesome feedback. To me it sounds like a really good deal to just get the H1, cause then I can boost the Mic as well as record sound seperately if I wanted to. This is a good thought?

• ChrisMurphy

Alright great. Think I may order one right now!!

Thanks for the Help!

• NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited October 2014

Another quick tip: make sure you get good levels. Put your cameras audio in "manual" mode, then when you have your mic placed where you want, make sure that the sound of what youre recording is peaking at around 0 (I'm not sure how the t3i's meters are set up, but i think 0 is probably good.). The reason for this is that you will get a cleaner recording. There is a thing called "the noise floor". This is the baseline level of sound in the area where you are recording. The sound of a room with no one speaking, for example. As people have said in this thread, you want to get the mic as close as possible to the thing youre recording, but you also want to make sure you are getting a strong signal to the camera because if you record at a low level or the mic is too far away, when you turn up the audio to hear the actor (for example) you will also be turning up the "noise floor".  (I also want to mention that the camera or recording device also adds a bit of noise and if you record at low levels you will hear that noise more when you turn up the recording later.)

On a side note, its a good idea to record the noise floor as well so that you can use it to cover up cuts in the audio when you are editing your sequence together.  You layer it in over cuts to smooth the audio, since you can often hear cuts in the audio. 

• ChrisMurphy

How would I go about rigging the Mic and H1 together on a tripod?

• ChrisMurphy

Also, I just got my H1, what would be good settings to achieve quality sound on it?

• Maxwell_Inc_Studios
    Maxwell_Inc_Studios Website User Posts: 28 Just Starting Out

You can find a shock mount for your Zoom H1 that should have an extra cold mount up top to place the mic, that is how mine is that I currently use with my H1.