Animation capabilities

davide445
davide445 Posts: 306 Just Starting Out

Want to create something similar to this one

Digital scenography 1

Digital scenography 2

How is is in HF2U to import and animate images and effects?

I know is strong in compositing, need to have a choice respect AE about animation.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Hitfilm is more than capable of producing the types of effects shown in your sample clips--the first example looked more-or-less like a simple pan across a static image with a few twinkling lights added in and some snow. The lights could be done with several different techniques, and the snow could be done with the particle simulator. The second example showed a light ray sweep across text--while this isn't the exact same effect, this tutorial shows how to do automated light flares across a line of text--simply replace the Auto Light Flares in this tutorial with something like Light Rays and you're done.

To be perfectly honest, After Effects IS a more powerful program than Hitfilm Ultimate 2--although is it far more expensive. Hitfilm's built-in particle effects are more powerful than those built-into AE, and AW out-of-the-box has no 3D model capabilities--you can add particles and 3D model capabilities that will be more powerful than Hitfilm's to AE, but doing so requires third-party plug-ins (Trapcode Particular and Element 3D). However, Particular and Element 3D themselves (if you purchased both) are more expensive that Hitfilm.

In my opinion, Hitfilm is far easier to learn if you are a beginner at VFX work than AE.

• davide445

I need to carefully plan my workflow since didn't have the time to learn many different packages, and being a beginner I can't invest time to discover what I needed was something else.

About AE what's about the Cinema 4D integration for 3D editing? There is something comparable in HF?

• Triem23

Nope. Sony Vegas can treat Hitfilm's editor timeline as a media clip, and can accept camera solves from Mocha, but, otherwise, Hitfilm is a self-contained ecosystem. If you already have cinema 4D and need that integration, AE may be a better choice for you. For AE, you can look at the Adobe CC subscription with the caveat that if you end your subscription, your software will stop working, or you can purchase a copy of CS6 with the caveat of sticking with the previous version. 

• davide445

Yes I know about CC subscription and didn't like it.

Important for me it's also hw accelleration, I did have a HD7950 GPU connected to a laptop with a less powerful i5 CPU.

This is an area where AE it's not shining since the CUDA dependency, probably will be possibile to use external OpenCL render trough C4D but it's a contorted solution.

Will HF 3D editor use GPU for editing and rendering?

• Triem23

Yes. According to FxHome staff, Hitfilm is primarily using the GPU for preview and render. 

• davide445

Ok perfect.

To better understand what's the limitations of using HF vs C4D into 3D animation?

I know HF it's really good in compositing, can't understand how good is AE+C4D on the same topic.

• Triem23

I've never used Cinema 4D,so I can't really answer that question. I will note that Hitfilm cannot load c4d format models, and I am uncertain if Cinema 4D can export 3Ds, OBJ or LWO files which Hitfilm can read. 

Hitfilm's 3D animation  capabilities will be limited compared to a full-3D program. Hitfilm lacks full IK support and only supports diffuse and specular maps. You won't be doing full character animation in Hitfilm, but it's very good for adding in mechanical elements like cars, tanks, planes, spaceships, Helicopters, etc into video footage, and you can do great space scenes. 

There are several excellent 3D animators on this forum, but most of them tend to render from their 3D app-of-choice and use Hitfilm for composites, final color grades and miscellaneous effects (lasers, explosions, energy elements, lighting effects, etc) that are easier to do in Hitfilm. 

• davide445
    edited October 2014

If HF can import .3ds files (can?) C4D can export and import in that format so to close the cycle, or otherwise I can always generate a video in C4D that can next edit in HF.

About motion graphics capabilities what am I leaving vs AE?

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast

To be fair, if you know C4D (or 3DSMax, or Blender, or etc...) and know it well, you're not going to prioritise AE or HitFilm for the bulk of your 3D work. But what both programs provide are alternate workflows which are hugely useful for particular users and particular projects.

@davide445a lot of this stuff comes down to personal preference, so it'd be a good idea to grab the demos of both programs then check out a few tutorials to see which one you like the 'feel' of. We have a ton of tutorials on our YouTube channel and you can also find lots of great tutorials over on Videocopilot's site. Most of the VCP tutorials are for AE but lots of the techniques can be applied in HitFilm as well, so they're generally a good resource for learning the core principles.

• davide445
    edited October 2014

I didn't have any experience in 3D, simply need to finish a project.

Searching the easiest way I can at least sketch and test my ideas before sending to more experienced pepole for refining if needed.

I need also to be able to deliver a draft but nice finished product for evaluation to the artistic director before proceed.

Aloso need to work on before written constraint on hw (slow CPU, AMD GPU), here my concern about AE more CUDA and CPU centric.

Finally being a newbie will be probably driven not only from ideas but also from the tool, so need to be as open as possibile since don't know what will use, but with all features available and not so difficult to obtain otherwise will go nowhere.

I already installed both test version and will experiment a bit.

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff

Here is an article from one of our Developers on how Hitfilm uses your hardware, shich should prove helpful:

http://hitfilmtips.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/tip-understand-how-hitfilm-uses-your-hardware/

• davide445

Yes I did already find it, this give HF a plus from my side.

• davide445

Good to know, became productive it's the first step, after I can only be better.

Just a question you did use often mograp capabilities? 

• davide445

Reading more I discovered I'm a bit confused.

What's the main difference btw motion graphics and compositing?

HF it's categorized maninly as compositing sw, AE as motion graphics.

Not sure if I will use also real photage or only CGI, want to be sure have both path open.

• davide445

I have my ideas, simply difficult to match with sw features.

Looking at example I linked in the first post there are motion graphics?

• davide445

Ok will do better homework before wasting your time with silly questions :)

In the meantime thanks for the really useful answers!

• davide445

On the opposite side I will also reach this levlel

Mr & Ms Dream a performance by Pietragalla Derouault Company & Dassault Systèmes look after min 5:27

But this is another thing: 3D interactivity.

My short term goal it's something in the middle: not just moving pictures but also not 3D interactive. A digital scenography with animated 3d elements inside a real (or CGI, need to think about) scenography.

If short term is ok and I feel more comfortable with all I will start working on the interactive goal.

• davide445

Just finished my check about 3D capabilities, want to say HitFilm it's an incredible piece of sw.

With video editing, VFX, compositing, 3D editing lighting and animation capabilities I didn't need any other sw to work!

AE does have more features but as a beginner HF offer already all what I dreamed about, in a single package.

Really curios to know about v3!