Is there a way to make transparent backgrounds?

mcsqueeze
mcsqueeze Website User Posts: 10 Just Starting Out*
I dont know how to export my video with no background. How do i get rid of backgrounds in hitfilm express, for instance, I want to make a gif for a twitch alert, and bg is black because it has to be something, how do I export it without the black?
Tagged:

Answers

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,567 Ambassador

You must Export Cineform (PC) or ProRes (Mac) using one of the "With Alpha" presets.

Mp4 does not allow for transparent backgrounds, at all.

• mcsqueeze
    If I add a gif or something with a black background, and set Hitfilm's background to black, then use this method, am I able to remove the black?
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,567 Ambassador

You'll have to add a Demult effect or maybe a Luma Key to remove the background to make it transparent.

• mcsqueeze
    okay, back to tinkering then! Thanks again Triem23!
  • mcsqueeze
    [{"insert":"I couldn't quite figure it out. \nMy first issue I ran into, after changing it to one of the alpha presets, and applying the demult effect, was I couldn't read MOV files. I downloaded VLC player and opened it with that, but it was all blank, so I am assuming it made it all transparent? The settings for the demult effect were just a drop down menu of 3 options, but they all exported the same. Just blank, in VLC player.\nI could not find anything on a Luma key.\nIs there by chance a video tutorial I missed? I couldn't find one, and there's not a lot of internet conversation around this. \n"}]
  • Triem23

Can you upload a GIF here so you can see what you're working with? Demult is basically drag/drop and, when it's the right tool, Yay! If your GIF has a lot of dark tones, the Luminance Key has a lot more control than Demult.

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Website User Posts: 377 Enthusiast

I don't suppose a png sequence would work? Png sequence with alpha will get you a transparent background but the program you use for gifs would have to know how to deal with them.

• mcsqueeze
  • mcsqueeze

Nothing? Bummer. Don't know where else to look

• Triem23

Sorry, having a bad month at my end. Out HVAC melted down and now we're in a demo/rebuild cycle. I admit I forgot about this.

Ok, so... MOV is a CONTAINER format, which means it can hold any one of a number of COmpressor/DECompressor (CODEC) formats. MOV was developed by Apple and is the "QuickTime" format. On Windows Apple hasn't updated QuickTime since 1999. In 2016 Apple removed most QuickTime functionality from iOS - it's a "zombie" format that needs to die, but smartphone makers keep using it, and certain CODEC creators haven't developed alternate containers (or owners of certain containers haven't added support for certain codecs).

It's a bit of a clusterdump.

Hitfilm has built in code for reading MOV, but VLC and other open source media players that use OS codecs don't. So, you need to install the ancient QuickTime from 2009. 7.7.9 was buggy, you want 7.7.8. That's why VLC is playing "blank" files

Hitfilm also has Cineform built in, but VLC doesn't. You might need to download that as well (if you own a GoPro, Cineform should be installed on your system with GoPro Studio or GoPro Quik).

It gets "better." VLC doesn't support transparent video correctly. Even if the video exports correctly, VLC won't play it correctly. Bring the Cineform back into Hitfilm, add it to a Timeline and put something under it. That will show you if the video is correct.

If transparent areas look "blobby" right click the Media in the Media Bin, select "Properties," and, under "Alpha" uncheck "From File" and switch between "Straight" and "Premultiplied." One should work. Yup, there's to ways to interpret transparent video.

Now... I'm stupid because I'm not paying attention here to the fact you want to make a GIF, while @Dimipapa is smart and caught that. He's right - you're probably better using a PNG with Alpha export. This renders a PNG (with transparency) for each frame (an "image sequence"). I haven't made a GIF in a decade, but believe most GIF apps prefer image sequences to video.

Rendering an image sequence is a little different from a video. First, make certain the Composite Shot you're rendering is the name you want as the "base name." If rendering the Edit Timeline make sure the project name is your "base name." Image sequences MUST render as "basename000.ext, basename001.ext...basename>last frame number<.ext" You'll want to create an export folder for the sequence, then, in Hitfilm's Export Queue, click on the filename field and select the Export folder. (A folder for an image sequence should contain only the sequence itself. Other files can confuse an app trying to import the sequence.

Be careful re-importing Image Sequences into Hitfilm. A dialog will pop up asking if you want to import as a sequence - Hitfilm treats as video - or as individual images (each frame as a separate media bin entry). A "Do not show again checkbox is in this pop up. DON'T check it. If you do, you've set a default behavior for Hitfilm... If you click on Image Sequence Hitfilm will always try to import photos from a folder with sequential file names as Image Sequences, or, if you import as individual images, next time you try to import a sequence it'll come in as individual files. Better to have the pop up everytime than set a default behavior you'll have to dig into File>Options to change.

Finally, if your GIF app itself doesn't support transparent PNG or video, then a GIF app lets you define a "transparent color." This color will become transparent. If this happens with your app, then you'll come back into Hitfilm, plop a plane under your transparent video with your "transparent color" and re-render.

Hope I've covered everything, sorry for the delay.