Re: Atomic Particles not functioning MacBook Pro intel i9 Radeon 5500m

GrayMotion
GrayMotion Posts: 1,660 Enthusiast
edited June 2021 in HitFilm

This discussion has been closed - https://community.fxhome.com/discussion/comment/165082#Comment_165082

Problem reported - "Failed to Initialize Shaders!” (looking at the original post it does look automated??)

A follow up for @luigiteam18 and @Triem23

I'm not sure what version of Hitfilm the OP is using but I gave a quick test of a basic atomic particle simulation on my iMac and everything appears to be working as expected.

Specs are as follows:

Hitfilm Pro 16 (16.0.2522)

Retina 5k, 27inch (2020), 3.6 Ghz, 10-core Intel Core i9, 32GB DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16GB

MacOS Big Sur 11.4

EFI Driver Version 01.01.231

Comments

• luigiteam18
    luigiteam18 Posts: 10 Just Starting Out*
    I've been using version 11.2 of hitfilm (I liked that version better). Should I try updating hitfilm to the latest release? Here are my specs again, just in case:

macOS Big Sur 11.1
    2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
    6 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
    AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB
    Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
  • GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,660 Enthusiast
    edited June 2021

@luigiteam18 Personally I would go as high in version numbers as you can. If I recall there were problems with ver 11 although they were sporadic for me. I can't re-call exactly what but there were issues.

IMHO you cant go wrong by trying later versions of Hitfilm. With each revisions things tend to get better. If you cant run the newest version available to you back off a version until you can run it. FYI- I have an older OS Catalina iMac (2013), 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M 1 GB. I can run ever version of Hitfilm ever produced (ver 3-16) on that machine.

To be clear - I'm not sure Hitfilm officially supports Big Sur yet but I haven't experienced any problems thus far.

P.S.- A Mac is not a PC. Mac performance will surprise you, even with older machines. Just because someone says you need XXX to run something doesn't really mean YOUR Mac cant run it. Might be slower on the render, especially if you use a lot of effects, but will usually out-preform a PC in the same class. One exception to that statement - 32bit programs will not run on newer Macs

• luigiteam18
    Thanks, you might be right! This didn't happen on my last computer cause it was a windows and not a Mac. Maybe ver 11 has a problem with Macs, so I'm gonna update hitfilm and see how it goes.
  • luigiteam18
    Update: I just finished updating hitfilm to the latest release. I gave the atomic particles a shot and they finally worked! Thank you so much for your help.

PS: Is there a way I can change hitfilm back to dark mode? (it was part of the reason why I was using ver 11 haha)
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,403 Power User

@luigiteam18 you should be able to go into the File>Options menu and activate Dark Mode? If you activated your Hitfilm Express AFTER version 2017 and BEFORE light mode existed (i.e. If your initial activation is between HF 9 and 11) you're eligible. Otherwise, that's an add on on the Pay What you Will page.

• luigiteam18
    Got it. Thanks guys