Looking for a decent video camera.

Larykip
Larykip Website User Posts: 19

I want to get a video camera but im not sure what to get. I really just want one with HD video quality and have a budget round $450

Comments

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast

Tooshka's suggestions are good starting points for sure.

@larykip - what are you planning on using the camera for? Every camera has its own quirks and people's recommendations might be more appropriate if we have an idea of the kind of projects you're going to be working on.

• MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out

Agreed. Cameras have different purposes. My T3i is great for what I need. Much better than the Canon XF100/105 for what I do, however if I was shooting something for a news station I'd want the XF100 over my T3i. Different jobs require different equipment. What would you be using the camera for?

Also I recommend buying used or refurbished. I got my T3i and 50mm 1.8 lens for under $450.

• Larykip

Not really sure what I'd be using it for yet, but should I be getting a camera with a video recording ability or a camera specifically made for videos?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,362 Ambassador

Depends on what you're shooting. Skits and short films,  a T3i is a wonderful choice, especiallyat  it's price. 

If you are getting into event work--weddings, concerts, things where you have to be mobile or able to shoot for a long period without stopping (longer than 30 min, then you want a proper video camera. 

• SimonKJones

The other thing to note about the DSLR route (like the t3i) is that while you can get amazing results out of it for the price, it's still primarily a stills camera, which means that some of the UI and the camera body itself isn't optimised for shooting video. A lot of the time that doesn't matter at all, especially as the end results can be so good, but it's something to consider.

• Larykip

I probably wouldn't be needing to shoot longer than 30 minutes & would be doing things like short films, so i'll look into the T3i. Thanks for all your help!

Also, is this the camera you are talking about?

• SimonKJones

That's the one. Canon have many DSLRs with varying features, but the t3i hits a nice feature-to-price sweet spot.

• MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    edited October 2014

I've been using the T3i with magic lantern for a while and would never go back. I did a little "shootout" with a friend of mine and was blown away at the difference between the "nuetral" picture style compared to the cine-style one I use. The dynamic range was literally incredible. I bought my camera from http://www.lensauthority.com back in the day. It is a reliable source for quality used photo and video products. They only carry the T4i now, since the T3i is aging. Give it a look. Priced at around $400, the T4i is a good option.

Here is the link direct to the T4i.

• Larykip

Is the t4i just an updated version of the t3i or is there any major differences?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,362 Ambassador

The t4i has no advantages over the t3i for video other than another stop of gain. For stills, it's a little bit faster in continuous shooting mode, but there's really no reason to get a t4i over a t3i.

The t5i adds continuous autofocus, but I'm one of those snotty film/video people who sneers that autofocus is for amateurs. ;-)

Of the entire Canon DSLR lineup, I think there are basically 3 sweet-spot cameras right now for video: the t3i, 70d and 5dMkIII. The 6D is full-frame and a grand less than the 5dmkIII, but the 6D has a couple of odd ommisions that take it out of the running.

• Larykip

Do you think it would be worth getting a lens if i bought a T4i because i would use it for some photography & would probably like to take videos of things far away, like animals for example.

• SimonKJones

Hehe, I like the concept that the ONLY acceptable use of autofocus is when being chased by lions. That should be put into all filmmaking manuals and university courses from now on.

• Triem23

I've never been charged by a lion, but I have had bulls charge and/or leap at me. I stayed on manual focus. Then again, the Cowboys at the rodeo tell me I am crazy. If the fools who ride an angry bull tell the cameraman he's crazy, it must be true. ;-) 

• Triem23

Yup. That's a pretty good price. 

• Larykip

@Triem23 Do you think it will be the same price round christmas?

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff

It seemss unlikely that refurbished older models will see a price drop around Christmas.  What might happen is that a newer model or non-refurb comes closer in price to that kit, when the Christmas sales hit.

• Triem23

What Axel said. Because it's a refurb, it is probablylimited stock as well.  

• Larykip

Thanks Axel, I didn't realise they were refurbished and also they only ship America.