How to put a longer break between animations in composite shots in Hitfilm Express

vanny_f
vanny_f Website User Posts: 52 Just Starting Out*

Hi all,

I just want to know what is the best way of extending a scene in a composite shot in Hitfilm Express? So I have a composite shot with many animations. Now I notice, the - within the same composite shot - there should be a longer break from one animation until the other, because otherwise it would be to fast.

Let's say one animation ends at 1min 20 sec and the other starts at 1 min 25 sec, but I would like the following animation to start at 1 min 30 sec (postponed by 5 seconds compared to the original set up). How can I do that when already having implemented the whole compite shot that lasts for 4 minutes. Of course it is important that everything that comes after this break should be postponed accordingly.

Any suggestion how you would deal with that? I'd appreciate every comment and would be quite thankful for your suggestions.

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,567 Ambassador

There's not really an easier way to do this than to change the Comp duration, hold Shift while selecting the Layers that need to move and moving them.

Sounds like you've not planned your project effectively. Rather than building multiple animations in a single Comp you should be building each animation in a single Comp and combining in a longer Comp or Editor Timeline. That way you can 1) Pre-render segments as they are finished and 2) when in a situation when extending a sequence moving each embedded Comp is moving one layer, not every object in the animation.

Now, in your current project you should be able to select all the layers that make "one animation," right click and move all the layers into a single Comp. This replaces the original layers with the new nested/embedded Comp.

• vanny_f

Thanks Triem23 for your answer,

basically the problem is that I have a lot of layers (more than 100) and they don't have a full order. This makes it extremely difficult to select all relevant layers and move them.

Regarding your comment "Rather than building multiple animations in a single Comp you should be building each animation in a single Comp". I do not really understand this statement. Shall I make a single composite shot out of every key frame animation for each objects? Then I would have thousands of composite shots. That does not make sense. I personally have a composite shot for every "subsequence" of the animation.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,567 Ambassador
    edited June 26

Vanny, I may have jumped the gun a bit tell me a bit more about the sequence. Based on your initial description it sounded to me like you had multiple things happening that don't necessarily need to be in the same Comp, but, without seeing your project I have to infer based on description.

But, if you have an animation that "ends" at 1:20 and another starting at 1:25 that you want to move to 1:30 is there a reason you can't just select all the things that end by 1:20 and convert them to a nested comp then select the things starting at 1:25 (let's say that goes to 2:10, just for this discussion) to 2:10 and make those elements another nested Comp, and so forth? Collapsing elements that don't run the entire sequence into nested Comps?

When I'm working on complex sequences I usually start with everything in one Comp as well, but, eventually reach a point where I start separating out things that can be nested to both clean up and simplify my original Comp and allow me to pre render segments to improve performance. So it's not about having a separate Comp for each animation, but more looking at "if my sequence is 4 min but elements XYZ are only in the first minute, can I nest it?"

Hope this is a better explanation of what I'm thinking!

Actually, let me drop in an example. Let's look at this shot.

There are a bunch of "drones" that pass by at the beginning. They are in front of everything else and only last a couple of seconds, but there are 12 of em. Once I locked my camera move and lights I duplicated my camera/lighting rig, s selected the duplicate camera/light rigs and all the drones and split them off into a nested Comp and pre rendered them. That took 13 layers (12 drones and their master move point) a collapsed them to 1 layer, and the pre render improved performance. Same with the second group of 12 drones... In total that let me split over 25 layers into nested Comps where they became single layers in the main Comp and also took away some lag I was having, because each drone is over a third of a million polys and 4k textures... So, splitting the drones to prerendered nested Comps reduced millions of poly calculations to a couple of video layers.

I also split my environment map, sun flare and planets to a nested Comp. Since the environment was an 8k image and the planets had 8k textures, that improved performance, and it collapsed my background elements from 5 layers into a single layer which became the light wrap source for the drone nested Comps and model layers in the main Comp.

In the end I had an easier to manage main comp (removed 29 layers) and faster performance (reduced millions of polys and 4k/8k textures to three video files) while tweaking the main cruiser models, particle sim weapons/thrusters and explosions. The "hero" models, particle sims and placed explosions all needed to be in the main comp for occlusion purposes.

• vanny_f

Thanks Triem23 for your detailed answer and effort. I really appreciate it,

What do you exactly mean with nested composite shots? Just to have separate composite shots?

For me basically the problem is not the animation itself. They are fine. But I would also like to speak to the animations (as my project is an explanation video) and I realized that - with the current animations set up - I would have to speak extremely fast which is not good for an explanation video. So now I just want to stretch some animations in the composite shot such that I have more time to speak until the other animations begin. But all the animations build up on each other. It is not the case that those animations are not related to each other (if this was the case I would have inserted them in different composite shots).

So is there not option in Hiltfilm express to insert 5 additional seconds somewhere in the composite shot and all the keyframe animations should remain there status within these 5 seconds?

• vanny_f

Reminder:

"So is there not option in Hiltfilm express to insert 5 additional seconds somewhere in the composite shot and all the keyframe animations should remain there status within these 5 seconds?"

• Triem23

Nesting/embedding Comps just mean you put Comp A inside Comp B. This nests/embeds Comp A inside Comp B.

Animation keyframes are attached to the individual clips/layers, so, no, you can't just insert 5 seconds in the Comp and have the layers move while the keys remain in place. 99.9% of the time this would be undesired behavior since that would mean anytime I moved a clip on the Timeline I'd have to go move the keyframes separately.

• vanny_f

Thanks for your answer Triem23, I really appreciate your effort and help.

What would you advice me to do if I in fact want to insert a break between some animations such that the key frame parameters do not change in this break?