Performance degradation after upgrading

danjb
danjb Posts: 15 Just Starting Out*
I have just upgraded to the latest Hitfilm Express - version 2021.1 (16.1.11208.7204).

Now after editing for an hour or so, the playback performance in the viewer becomes really choppy (like 1 FPS). Restarting the program fixes the issue, but it always comes back after some time.

I didn't have this problem before upgrading (can't remember the version number I had before).

Is this a known issue? How can I report a bug? Is it possible to downgrade?
Tagged:

Comments

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,743 Ambassador
    edited June 2021

@danjb Since this occurred after an upgrade of the software this might indicate that you need to upgrade your drivers, as well. Make sure you are up to date with your GPU driver especially and that the driver comes form the manufacturer and not M$ updates (which can actually downgrade your drivers).

Please also post your system specs.

• danjb
    Thanks @Stargazer54, upgrading my graphics driver "seems" to have fixed the issue (we'll see if it comes back).
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,518 Ambassador

@danjb glad a driver update seems to have worked. It often does.

Pay attention to what @Stargazer54 wrote about Microsoft sometimes reverting drivers. Basically, anytime you run a Windows Update, check your drivers again for safety.

Knowing your hardware and prior version of Hitfilm is still helpful data. Occasionally minimum specs for HF rise - they rose on versions 4, 14 and 16. If nothing else, knowing your hardware will help us judge how much longer your current hardware will be viable with future updates... If your computer is more than 5 years old it's on that edge where the next raise in specs will probably leave you under minimum. At that point you'll either have to update your hardware or stay on that last version where Hitfilm is compatible.

For the record, if you do need to revert, Hitfilm Express installers from v9 up are here.

• danjb

@Triem23 Thanks for the info.

If it helps, here are my specs:

• Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 19041) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
    • 32768MB RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070

I don't know how to find my prior version of Hitfilm Express but it was fairly recent (within the last 3 months).

While this issue is resolved, I am having some other performance issues (particularly relating to ripple delete). Should I create another thread for that?

• Triem23

Clicking the Hitfilm logo at the top left should bring up a version number. If within the last three months you probably went from 16.0 to 2021.1/16.1

The i7 6700hq is aging, but still pretty good. The 1070 is still good. That system should survive the next time Hitfilm specs raise. I have an i7-6700hq/Nvidia 980m machine that's clicking along fine. Not as fast as my Ryzen 7 4800h/Nvidia 2060, but still fine.

Yeah, you should create a new thread for the other issue.

• danjb
    edited June 2021

I don't have the previous version anymore so I can't check it but 16.0 sounds about right.

Unfortunately the choppy playback problem has just returned, so I guess updating the graphics driver didn't fix it after all (but may have delayed it slightly) :(

• Stargazer54

@danjb Well, heck. Thought you might have solved it with the driver update. Here are a couple of other things to look at (apologies if you have already done these).

Right click on the task bar and go to Task Manager. Look at your processes (while you have HF running) and see if you have something other than HF chewing on your CPU or Disk I/O. While you are in there, click the Startup tab and consider disabling unneeded items that really don't need to fire up when the system boots. For example, I have Microsoft Teams, Webex, Skype, and most anything Adobe disabled.

Also, more information on the problem video file would be helpful. Please list a MediaInfo tree report on it. How to use that here. It could be that before you upgraded you were right on the edge of a performance problem. Transcoding the file with Handbrake might help.  How to use Handbrake here.

• danjb

@Stargazer54 Thanks again for the reply.

The fact that the viewer performance suddenly "breaks" after some time suggests to me a software bug or memory leak rather than a hardware limitation, but I am no expert.

I keep my system pretty lite so most startup programs are already disabled.

I'll post back later with the video file details.

• danjb
  • Stargazer54
    edited June 2021

@danjb Your video is Variable Frame Rate. Try transcoding to Constant Frame rate. Handbrake is a handy tool to have on hand for this.

VFR causes the system to stop and think about occasional frames that are essentially not there -which slows down any editor. Converting to CFR should improve performance.

• danjb

@Stargazer54 Thanks for the tip, I can certainly try that. It's annoying to add another step to my workflow though, when this was working perfectly before.

Are there any downsides to converting to CFR?

• Triem23

There are no downsides to converting to CFR.

"Other step," or not, CFR footage handles and renders faster than VFR. By not forcing Hitfilm to be constantly parsing frames on the fly you're reducing the likelihood of render errors and the performance boost will make editing feel better.

Note that Avid absolutely requires transcoding to certain formats before import. FCP also used to. Transcoding before import is more the norm than not.

• danjb

@Triem23 Thanks for the explanation.