HitFilm 2 Intel Quicksync support for H264 decode

davide445
davide445 Posts: 306 Just Starting Out

Just about to jump on HitFilm wagon, want to be sure I can work smoothly.

I did have a relativelly weak i5 CPU and a stronger HD7950 GPU.

Understand GPU is used for rendering etc and CPU for decode/encode.

So the question is: HitFilm will use embedded Quicksync capability to speed H264 stream decode and allow fluid playback?

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador
    edited October 2014

Usually it is recommended in Hitfilm to transcode to ProRes or DNxHD instead of using h.264. Fyi, the DNxHD codec (Windows) is a free download, and MPEG Streamclip or VLC are two free programs to do transcoding. 

I can't specifically comment on Quicksynch, but the FxHome staff does say ProRes and DNxHD are smoother in Hitfilm. H.264 was designed as a format to deliver final media in a compressed format, and not as an edit codec and can be laggy in any NLE. H.264 is a "Long-GOP (Group of Pictures)" format. To slightly oversimplfy, the codec is storing a full frame only once every three or four seconds, which means for almost every frame the computer looks at the surrounding two frames, and runs through a lor of compressed data to "rebuild" the frame. This makes H.264 harder for any NLE to work with. DNxHD files take up a lot more drive space, but have less compression which speeds things up. 

• davide445
    edited October 2014

Yes I already read about ProRes, Cineform, HQX, DNxHD intermediate formats.

Problem is: I didn't have a huge and fast HDD where to store the enormous clips coming from the conversion.

I did have indeed a NxTB external HDD and NAS, but no USB3/Thunderbolt port where to connect it. Internal HDD/SSD are not big enough, nor can I update it right now. Also think will be difficult to edit clips using a USB2 connection (wrong?).

So as soon I didn't build a new righ I need to deal with H264 clips. Any idea about Quickcync?

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador

No, editing on a usb2 drive won't work too well... I can't answer the Quicksync--an FxHome guy will have to answer that. 

• davide445

Just to give a try: I can't find a way to make VLC recognize DNxHD codec, nor have I QTP.

There are any other free converter you can suggest?

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    edited October 2014

I've edited extensively with H264 in HitFilm without problems, so you should be OK on your i5. The best thing is to try the demo, as it's the same as the full version minus some export options. That way you can see exactly how it performs on your system before buying.

I don't know about the Quicksync thing - one of the more techie guys around here might know.

• Har
    Har Posts: 401 Enthusiast

For Windows I've been using the free Avanti GUI frontend for ffmpeg to transcode to ProRes and have been getting very good results that work smoothly in Hitfilm.
    http://www.avanti.arrozcru.org/

• davide445
    edited October 2014

Installed the demo some days ago, will look how is going.

Also installed Avanti some days ago, but can't find a way to make it work.

Will need some time more to configure it.