Does CamTrackAR require iPad Pro or will it work on a regular iPad?

laconstantedeplanck
laconstantedeplanck Website User Posts: 67 Enthusiast
edited June 15 in CamTrackAR

Hi, I'm about to get a brand new iPad (2020 WiFi 128GB) to start using the CamTrackAR app. In the App Store it points out that the app requires iPadOS 13.2 or later, but, does the app require some specific iPad Pro-only hardware that might not have the regular iPad? Or will it work just fine?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• laconstantedeplanck
  • triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,267 Moderator

@laconstantedeplanck

CamTrackAR works on any device that supports and is running iOS or iPadOS 13.2 or newer, including the 2020 iPad.

I believe the Apple ARKit (that CamTrackAR is based on) uses the LIDAR sensor on the newer high-end iPads and iPhones to get slightly more accurate AR data, but the difference in track quality for CamTrackAR is probably not enough to justify 3x or 4x-ing your cost.

Personally, it works pretty well on my iPhone 7 (a 2016-era device with no LIDAR), so a device with newer hardware should theoretically work at least as well or better.

• laconstantedeplanck

Thanks @triforcefx for sharing your experience. I was afraid the new LIDAR sensor was required or at least very recommended to get decent results. Knowing your iPhone 7 performs well, I'll stick to the regular iPad then :)

Last week I went to the Apple store to test the iPad camera and honestly it was quite poor, nowhere near any iPhone, old or new, but I thinks that's fine considering the price tag the new iPad has. I'm so excited anyway! CamTrackAR is a game changer

• spyresca
    spyresca Website User Posts: 203 Enthusiast

I bet lack of Lidar is why CamTrackAR hasn't come to Android yet. It seems very important for this functionality.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,267 Moderator

@laconstantedeplanck

I remembered my wife actually has one of the 2020 iPads, so I decided to test out CamTrackAR.

You’re right, that camera is kinda awful. That’s definitely one of the places they’re saving money, but at least they pass those savings on to the consumer in this case. Guess they figure an iPad isn’t exactly a main shooter for most people.

That being said, the tracking in CamTrack was very solid in the short test I did. If you can live with that camera quality, you should be more than happy with the AR tracking.

@spyresca CamTrackAR works excellently on iPhones and iPads without LIDAR. So lack of LIDAR has nothing to do with the lack of Android support. A lot of CamTrackAR’s technology relies on the Apple-only ARKit API built into iPhones and iPads. Because of this, an Android version would have to be written from scratch and it would have to rely on the much inferior ARCore API for Android. Apple tunes it’s ARKit for every single model of iDevice. Because there are thousands of different models of Androids out there, made by different manufacturers and each with very different hardware specs, Android ARCore has to be a more generalized solution, which simply doesn’t work quite as well. FXhome has stated that if they do bring CamTrackAR to Android, they want the experience to be as close as possible to the iOS experience. It would seem that they’ve done some internal testing and have found that iPhone AR is substantially ahead of Android AR.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,833 Ambassador

@spyresca to build off what @triforcefx wrote, besides Android's ARCore being less advanced than Apple's ARKit it's really the huge range of Android hardware holding it back.

Apple basically does two phones per generation - iPhone n "regular" and iPhone n "large" - with the occasional outlier, like the XS/XR. That smaller varient hardware pool makes Apple development easier compared to Android.

While CamtrackAR doesn't NEED the LIDAR, it needs the accelerometer and gyroscope, and not every Android phone has those. In 2021 there are still Android phones with main cameras under 1920x1080 resolution. So, besides ARKit being more full featured, there are significant numbers of Android phones being sold that flat out lack the hardware to use the Android ARCore. Testing nightmare.

Smartphone maker BLU has more Android models currently available for purchase in 2021 than Apple has ever developed in total since 2009! I use BLU as my example because they specifically make low - end cheap phones. Many of their models have low end cameras, 1280x720 screens and no gyroscope/accelerometer. Capable phones for calls, texts, social media and web browsing, but couldn't run an AR app.

Now, there are tons of users who don't check specs - you've dealt with users on here complaining about slow Hitfilm performance when they're trying to do 4k video on an i3 from 2015... Imagine the users who don't know their Android phones don't have gyroscopes 1-starring FXhome because they don't understand their phone is a "potato!"

• JavertValbarr
    JavertValbarr Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 351 Staff

Sorry for the delay, I was on holiday all of last week.

Triforce is correct- LiDAR/an iPad Pro isn't needed to run CamTrackAR, but you'll get better results with them.

• laconstantedeplanck

Thank you Javert!!

• spyresca
    spyresca Website User Posts: 203 Enthusiast

Interesting, but kind of makes the point that I'm not going to want it on Android if you can "technically" use it, but it's subpar due to lack of Lidar.