How to animate the wheel of a wheelchair?

Eisman333
Eisman333 Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out

Hey Community!

I am using Hitfilm for some private projects and edits, being fairly new in the world of video editing, and came onto a scene where I want to animate a wheelchair rolling in. Problem is, I can't seem to find any images of wheelchairs where the wheels are separate.

So obviously the solution would be cutting out the wheels with photoshop but that leaves the body of the wheelchair cut up with many holes.

There are some with tiny wheels but I would prefer to use the classic design.

Lastly I was thinking maybe I can somehow work with masks in Hitfilm but after trying and failing to even begin, I looked online but as I couldn't find any tutorials for it, I assume that won't work. Something I was suspecting from the start but I may as well try all avenues.

So is there a way to achieve this or do I have to resort to getting a 3D model, firing up blender and rendering the wheelchair and the wheels separately like that?

Thanks in advance for any tips and tricks!

Best regards

Eisman333

Answers

• Gelqone
    Gelqone Website User Posts: 88 Enthusiast

Try cutting it in any photo editing program and then use clone tools to fill empty spaces from nearby areas. This should do the trick and is easy to achieve.

• AxisEvo
    AxisEvo Website User Posts: 4 Just Starting Out*

Off the top of my head, I would try this: animate the movement of your entire wheelchair first (from L to R of screen or whatever it is), then duplicate your footage , mask out everything but the wheel on the duplicate, then animate the rotation of the wheel with the rotation control. Add in a little motion blur to look cooler and to also to hide the fact that the wheel has some of the background in it (between the spokes - unless you want to try to mask that part out also).

That said, it would probably be best to use Photoshop to create separate, perfectly isolated wheel and wheelchair-without-wheel images, as the previous post already stated.

One final thought -for better realism, pay attention to the lighting of the wheelchair and wheel. Unless the wheel is perfectly evenly lit, when you rotate it you may find that it looks bad because the shadowed part of it (I am imagining that the wheel may be darker on it's lower half than it is on its top half due to overhead lighting)is going to be rotating as well. In Photoslop, you might want to consider removing any obvious shadows from the wheel, then making a "shadow" layer for it in HitFilm so that the wheel darkens as it is nears the floor. Something as simple as a transparent-to-black gradient overlay layer may work well enough. Fiddle with the layer opacity and blend modes with the gradient and see if any of them produce a good result.